Forgiving Murderers

Forgiving Murderers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
The Bible does not oppose capital punishment.
What crimes, aside form murder, does the bible endorse for capital punishment?

T

Moves
30 Oct 12

This appears to me to be the Gmans personal opinion, which he is entitled to express, I
myself have formed no consensus on whether a punishment is deserving or not, its a
matter for the governments. The Bible does not oppose capital punishment.
Does that mean you disagree with G75 in this case?

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
This sounds like a dodge. You said "In the case of murder its a matter for the governments" implying that in cases that are not murder, the death penalty is unjust. What does the bible have to say about the death penalty?
But Paul said: “I am standing before the judgment seat of Caesar, where I ought to
be judged. I have done no wrong to the Jews, as you also are finding out quite well.
 If, on the one hand, I am really a wrongdoer and have committed anything
deserving of death, I do not beg off from dying; if, on the other hand, none of those
things exists of which these [men] accuse me, no man can hand me over to them as
a favour. I appeal to Caesar!”

here Paul speaks of a crime, deserving of death,

(Romans 13:1-4) . . .Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for
there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their
relative positions by God.  Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a
stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will
receive judgment to themselves.  For those ruling are an object of fear, not to the
good deed, but to the bad. Do you, then, want to have no fear of the authority?
Keep doing good, and you will have praise from it;  for it is God’s minister to you
for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear: for it is not without
purpose that it bears the sword; for it is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath
upon the one practicing what is bad.

here Paul speaks of the governmental authorities as expressing Gods wrath on
those practising what is , 'bad'.

(1 Peter 4:15)  However, let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an
evildoer or as a busybody in other people’s matters.

Here Peter states that government have a right to make a murderer , 'suffer',
probably death, for his crime.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Does that mean you disagree with G75 in this case?
I neither agree nor disagree, I have formed no opinion on the matter.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
What crimes, aside form murder, does the bible endorse for capital punishment?
It depends at what time you are referring, its a large book covering 1,500 years of
history.

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

It depends at what time you are referring, its a large book covering 1,500 years of
history.
How does the bible's take on capital punishment relate to the present day?

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
How does the bible's take on capital punishment relate to the present day?
It does not oppose capital punishment for murder.

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

(1 Peter 4:15)  However, let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a busybody in other people’s matters.

Here Peter states that government have a right to make a murderer , 'suffer', probably death, for his crime.
Peter mentioned "a murderer" and "a thief" and "an evildoer". Can "a thief" and "an evildoer" be executed do you think?

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

It does not oppose capital punishment for murder.
What is bible's take on capital punishment for crimes other than murder in the present day?

T

Moves
30 Oct 12
1 edit

I neither agree nor disagree, I have formed no opinion on the matter.
The following from your quote of Paul seems to pretty clearly coincide with G75s statement:
(Romans 13:1-4) . . .Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for
there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their
relative positions by God. 2 Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a
stand against the arrangement of God
; those who have taken a stand against it will
receive judgment to themselves.

So have you similarly "formed no opinion on the matter" with regards to Paul's statements?

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12
2 edits

No, Paul is counselling christians to be in subjection to the governmental agencies
placed in their relative positions by God, its very clear.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
Peter mentioned "a murderer" and "a thief" and "an evildoer". Can "a thief" and "an evildoer" be executed do you think?
a thief, no, an evildoer, depends on what they have done, if they have murdered, yes.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
What is bible's take on capital punishment for crimes other than murder in the present day?
It does not mention any to my knowledge.

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

No, Paul is counselling christians to be in subjection to the governmental agencies
placed in their relative positions by God, its very clear.
So that includes capital punishment for whatever governmental agencies decide, and not just murder?

F

Moves
30 Oct 12

a thief, no, an evildoer, depends on what they have done, if they have murdered, yes.
So you reckon the quote you provided was clear about whether capital punishment is only just in the case of murder?