The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 16:021 edit
    Robbie Carrobie, over to you explain :]
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 18:07
    you should also include the tree/fruit that gives eternal life.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    you should also include the tree/fruit that gives eternal life.
    I thought about it, but I didn't want to make things too difficult for Robbie at this stage - he's a bit shy you see when it comes to defending his Bible properly! Just going to give him one thing to think about at a time for now.

Come on Robbie - tell us all about how trees of knowledge don't involve magic :]
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 21:23
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I thought about it, but I didn't want to make things too difficult for Robbie at this stage - he's a bit shy you see when it comes to defending his Bible properly! Just going to give him one thing to think about at a time
    are you aware of the concept of pearls before swine?
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 21:333 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You can tell us all about pearls and swine after you tell us all about how trees of knowledge don't involve magic. You don't seriously want people to think you're just making stuff up again to deflect challenges towards your pseudo-literalReveal Hidden Content
    i.e. literal in most parts, but with some random \"interpretation\" when it takes your fancy, and an added dose of crazy for good measure
    interpretation of the Bible do you!??
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 03:22
    You can tell us all about pearls and swine after you tell us all about how trees of knowledge don't involve magic. You don't seriously want people to think you're just making stuff up again to deflect challenges towards your pseudo-literal[hidden]i.e. literal in most parts, but with some random \"interpretation\" when it takes your fancy, and an added dose of crazy for good measure[/hidden]interpretation of the Bible do you!??
    ah, i see you've taken the pearls before swine literally by keeping the pearls of your statement hidden before the swine!!
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 06:42
    So you admit you are withholding your pearls on this forum and mostly just talk a load of pig sh......
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 07:162 edits
    You can tell us all about pearls and swine after you tell us all about how trees of knowledge don't involve magic. You don't seriously want people to think you're just making stuff up again to deflect challenges towards your pseudo-literal[hidden]i.e. literal in most parts, but with some random \"interpretation\" when it takes your fancy, and an added dose of crazy for good measure[/hidden]interpretation of the Bible do you!??
    I did not introduce magic, you did, i did not introduce apples, you did, I did not
    introduce talking snakes, you did, just saying and unless you are willing to make
    room for a supernatural element, which you are not, then nothing in scripture will
    make much sense to you and you will be doing yourself and me a favour by not
    wasting our time in this way.

Our understanding of the so called tree of knowledge of good and bad was that the
    fruit itself held no properties, for the prohibition was, if you read the account
    carefully, that they were not to 'eat', or 'touch', the tree or its fruit. Thus the tree of the
    knowledge of good and bad symbolised the divine right or prerogative, which man’s
    Creator retains, to designate to his creatures what is 'good' and what is 'bad,'
    thereafter properly requiring the practice of that which is declared good and the
    abstention from that which is pronounced bad in order to remain approved by God
    as Sovereign Ruler. Both the prohibition and the subsequent pronouncement of the
    sentence passed upon the disobedient pair emphasize the fact that it was the act of
    disobedience in eating the prohibited fruit that constituted the original sin.

One only needs to look around for verification of the utter folly of complete moral
    independence from God.
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 07:51
    I did not introduce magic, you did, i did not introduce apples, you did, I did not
    introduce talking snakes, you did, just saying and unless you are willing to make
    room for a supernatural element, which you are not, then nothing in scripture will
    make much sense to you
    Precisely, sir.

This apple/intelligence garbage is a self-contradictory and self-defeating argument. The unbeliever first--for the sake of argument--declares the bible literal and true by suggesting that an apple from a tree gives instant knowledge of good and evil. Then, the unbeliever discards all the rest of the bible as untrue, declaring miracles as impossible, and tries to compare the tree in the Garden of Eden to everyday apple trees we see in the rest of the world.

It's a "have your cake and eat it too" cherry-pick argument which unbelievers are famous for.

If you're going to allow for the bible to be true for the sake of argument, then you also have to allow for a all-powerful Creator who can make *ANYTHING* happen.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 08:011 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Precisely, sir.

This apple/intelligence garbage is a self-contradictory and self-defeating argument. The unbeliever first--for the sake of argument--declares the bible literal and true by suggesting that an apple from a tree gives instant knowledge of good and evil. Then, the unbeliever discards all the rest of the bible as untrue, declaring miracles as ment, then you also have to allow for a all-powerful Creator who can make *ANYTHING* happen.
    My only regret sir is that we are not living in the South, whereupon, I would slap the
    blither with my glove across the face and challenge him to a duel at dawn, pistols or
    French foils at his choosing, for this slight upon the sacred word 😛
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 09:23
    Originally posted by sumydid
    ..... and tries to compare the tree in the Garden of Eden to everyday apple trees we see in the rest of the world.
    It appears you are not following the discussion. It was Robbie who declared the tree (and the garden it was in) to be entirely natural.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 10:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It appears you are not following the discussion. It was Robbie who declared the tree (and the garden it was in) to be entirely natural.
    Are you sure he did; I think he would be quite aware that the 'tree of life' and of the 'tree of the knowledge of good and evil', are symbolic.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 11:141 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you sure he did; I think he would be quite aware that the 'tree of life' and of the 'tree of the knowledge of good and evil', are symbolic.
    not to mention two entirely separate entities.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 13:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    We will never know, he keeps his pearls to himself.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 13:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    We will never know, he keeps his pearls to himself.
    not so, I simply refuse to throw them before swine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree