1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 14:491 edit
    Originally posted by yop
    Yes
    You must be God then. (God alone has absolute knowledge. But I thought you said God does not exist? Now you are claiming to be God???)

I just have a little test for you:

Would you mind telling me what my name and surname is as well as my date of birth.

I just want to check whether or not you are lying.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:11
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    You must be God then. (God alone has absolute knowledge. But I thought you said God does not exist? Now you are claiming to be God???)

I just have a little test for you:

Would you mind telling me what my name and surname is as well as my date of birth.

I just want to check whether or not you are lying.
    What makes you think a god would reveal himself to someone as unworthy as yourself? Surely he would remain aloof from your petty request.
  3. Joined
    20 Nov '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:24
    [/b]
    No
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:27
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What makes you think a god would reveal himself to someone as unworthy as yourself? Surely he would remain aloof from your petty request.
    The test would fail if, in a fit of omniscient whimsy, God had engineered one of those maternity ward exchanges to the effect that dj does not actually know his own real name and date of birth and is condemning himself right now by calling God a liar. Nobody can call the Predestinator humourless.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:36
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Oh please, dj2, are you seriously making the claim he does? Both are equally unsupportable.
    On of them is completly supported. Since the begining of the human kind he knows GOD because the first man created have known him. And every nation came after that knows that there is one GOD, but the differ in the way they worship him.

The claim the GOD doesn't exist is the one not supported and requires ignoring a complete history of man-GOD relationship.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:55
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    On of them is completly supported. Since the begining of the human kind he knows GOD because the first man created have known him. And every nation came after that knows that there is one GOD, but the differ in the way they worship him.

The claim the GOD doesn't exist is the one not supported and requires ignoring a complete history of man-GOD relationship.
    It is not true that the first men knew god. The first men were necessarily atheists. The concept of god is a later sociological adaptation. And particular religions themselves are learned, culturally reinforced constructs.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 15:56
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The test would fail if, in a fit of omniscient whimsy, God had engineered one of those maternity ward exchanges to the effect that dj does not actually know his own real name and date of birth and is condemning himself right now by calling God a liar. Nobody can call the Predestinator humourless.
    Can omniscient beings have fits of whimsy?
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:07
    What evidence would be sufficient to support the existence of God in your opinion?
    We've been over this many times before. Something like a show of his power or presence which transcended the natural orderof things. In other words, something which could not otherwise be caused by the natural world.
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:10
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It is not true that the first men knew god. The first men were necessarily atheists. The concept of god is a later sociological adaptation. And particular religions themselves are learned, culturally reinforced constructs.
    How do you know that? Why he is necessarily atheists. The concept of atheist was not there untill today so how can he be?

every ancient civilization we know today has recognized GOD and they worship him. It doesn't depend on the culture. Almost all religons agree ont he basic concepts about GOD, it cann't be just because of human thinking.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:17

Piffle. The presence of religion is not enough to prove the existence of god, regardless of your absurd premise that man and god have always been in knowledge of each other.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:27
    How do you know that? Why he is necessarily atheists. The concept of atheist was not there untill today so how can he be?

every ancient civilization we know today has recognized GOD and they worship him. It doesn't depend on the culture. Almost all religons agree ont he basic concepts about GOD, it cann't be just because of human thinking.
    One doesn't need to know what an atheist is in order to be one. The very first humans, and their evolutionary predecessors, were incapable of conceptualizing a god. The human brain required a certain amount of evolutionary adaptation before it became capable of conceptualizing complicated abstract concepts such as 'god.' Therefore, the first humans were necessarlly atheists, albeit implicit atheists.

Civilizations and cultures are inextricably bound together. All civilizations will have a culture. And all cultures will have self-reinforcing beliefs. Their particular religion is one of them. The fact that all religions agree on the concept of god proves nothing, except that humankind has an innate desire to explain the unknowable. To pre-scientific cultures, postulating the existence of supernatural entities to help in that regard seemed just as plausible as any other method. But now we know better. Or we should, anyway.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What do you mean by "God", by "exist" and by "unsupportable"?
    This is what religious people always do.
    They know their beliefs are dodgier than a 27 pound note, so what they do is try to redefine the meanings of words to such an extent that the bending, misforming, pulling, tugging and brutalising that they can mean anything with any outcome...and VOILA...God appears like a giant erection out of the mists of the nude sauna.

NO.
    NO.
    NO.

God is an entity which knows, thinks and decides.
    Exist means that it exists. No, not just a figment of someone's imagination, it exists. Like a chair. Like a Leonard Cohen song. Like the smell of roast chicken on the BBQ.
    Unsupportable means that you can't bear the weight, like 2 massive M-sized breasts during a bungy jump.

And voila. God no longer exists. He vanishes like a fart in a hurricane.
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:38
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    God appears like a giant erection out of the mists of the nude sauna.
    Elegant.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:43
    They know their beliefs are dodgier than a 27 pound note, so what they do is try to redefine the meanings of words to such an extent that the bending, misforming, pulling, tugging and brutalising that they can mean anything with any outcome...and VOILA...God appears like a giant erection out of the mists of the nu ...[text shortened]... ing a bungy jump.

I believe the songs of Leonard Cohen hold a particularly impressive claim upon existence.
  15. Playing with matches
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 16:46
    They know their beliefs are dodgier than a 27 pound note, so what they do is try to redefine the meanings of words to such an extent that the bending, misforming, pulling, tugging and brutalising that they can mean anything with any outcome...and VOILA...God appears like a giant erection out of the mists of the nu ...[text shortened]... ing a bungy jump.

I rec'd this because it holds a certain poetry. I particulalry like the erection part.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree