God doesnt exist

God doesnt exist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

y

Moves
20 Nov 06

Join the club

Moves
20 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by yop
Join the club
The "God doesn't exist" club?

You must be joking. Are you seriously making the claim that God doesn't exist?

S

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
The "God doesn't exist" club?

You must be joking. Are you seriously making the claim that God doesn't exist?
Oh please, dj2, are you seriously making the claim he does? Both are equally unsupportable.

y

Moves
20 Nov 06

He doesnt.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by Starrman
Oh please, dj2, are you seriously making the claim he does? Both are equally unsupportable.
What do you mean by "God", by "exist" and by "unsupportable"?
I don't believe that God (as defined by most Christians) does not exist precisely because I think that the evidence for, and lack of evidence to the contrary, is significant enough for me to support such a claim.

S

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
What do you mean by "God", by "exist" and by "unsupportable"?
I don't believe that God (as defined by most Christians) does not exist precisely because I think that the evidence for, and lack of evidence to the contrary, is significant enough for me to support such a claim.
I'm not sure what your post means, is there an unintentional double negative in there?

I don't believe a positive claim either for or against the existence of god is supportable.

Moves
20 Nov 06

Both are equally unsupportable.

No they are not. If you say that no little green men exist, you need absolute knowledge to support your claim, but on the other hand you only need sufficient evidence of one single green little man to support the claim that little green men exist.

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by yop
He doesnt.
Do you know everything there is to know?

Cape Town

Moves
20 Nov 06

If you say that no little green men exist, you need absolute knowledge to support your claim, but on the other hand you only need sufficient evidence of one single green little man to support the claim that little green men exist.
But when the claim is more specific such as "Little green men are in the room with me now", then I do not need absolute knowledge to disprove it. Also if you present a witness who claims that he/she has been talking to little green men then I could possibly provide sufficient evidence to support a claim that the witness is either lying, deluded or mistaken.

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
But when the claim is more specific such as "Little green men are in the room with me now", then I do not need absolute knowledge to disprove it. Also if you present a witness who claims that he/she has been talking to little green men then I could possibly provide sufficient evidence to support a claim that the witness is either lying, deluded or mistaken.
The claim "God does not exist" is a universal one, and thus absolute knowledge of the universe is required to support this claim.

S

Moves
20 Nov 06

[b]Both are equally unsupportable.

No they are not. If you say that no little green men exist, you need absolute knowledge to support your claim, but on the other hand you only need sufficient evidence of one single green little man to support the claim that little green men exist.[/b]
Agreed, but since you lack that evidence, both remain unsupported.

Moves
20 Nov 06

Agreed, but since you lack that evidence, both remain unsupported.
If by 'unsupported' you mean 'non-existent' then I disagree, but on the other hand if you have decided that you will accept no evidence for the existence of God, then I could understand what you might be trying to say.

S

Moves
20 Nov 06

If by 'unsupported' you mean 'non-existent' then I disagree, but on the other hand if you have decided that you will accept no evidence for the existence of God, then I could understand what you might be trying to say.
What I have and haven't decided is of no import here. I mean unsupported, not non-existent.

Moves
20 Nov 06
1 edit

What I have and haven't decided is of no import here. I mean unsupported, not non-existent.
What evidence would be sufficient to support the existence of God in your opinion?

y

Moves
20 Nov 06

Do you know everything there is to know?
Yes