God is....

God is....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
20 Feb 13

... what exactly?

How would one know that one was in the presence of a god? Just for the sake of argument let us assume a plain vanilla god rather than a specific god. I don't want some tripe from a comic book regurgitated by the true believers and I don't want a blanket denial by the atheists.

Suppose someone knocks on your door, you open the door and he says "Hi, let me introduce myself. I'm God (or Krishna or Allah or Thor or Khorne or...). Just wanted to touch base now I'm back." How would you be able to tell you have a god on your doorstep? I suppose the duck test would work. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck etc. So what counts as quacking for a god?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Kepler
... what exactly?

How would one know that one was in the presence of a god? Just for the sake of argument let us assume a plain vanilla god rather than a specific god. I don't want some tripe from a comic book regurgitated by the true believers and I don't want a blanket denial by the atheists.

Suppose someone knocks on your door, you open the door and rk. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck etc. So what counts as quacking for a god?

In the presence of God you would also know yourself.

In the light of God's contenance what you are will also be illuminated to you.

Light and love together.

God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
21 Feb 13

... what exactly?

Suppose someone knocks on your door, you open the door and ...[text shortened]... rk. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck etc. So what counts as quacking for a god?
I believe that GOD is the entire universe or GOD does not exist.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Feb 13
2 edits

Originally posted by sonship

Light and love together.

[b]God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all.
[/b]
Illuminating

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by sonship

...[text shortened]...
Light and love together.

[b]God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all.
[/b]
Seems we have evidence of illiteracy in the Spirituality forum. NOT a specific god so not this eponymous God character. How could you tell if some being was a deity of some sort? What attributes make a god?

Moves
21 Feb 13

... what exactly?

Suppose someone knocks on your door, you open the door and ...[text shortened]... rk. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck etc. So what counts as quacking for a god?
a baby pacifier.

Australia

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
a baby pacifier.
In this country we call them dummies. Fact.

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
dummies would seem doubly offensive. i was aiming for slightly offensive.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Just to clarify though, it means 'stand in for' or in this case 'imitation breast', and not 'stupid'.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
a baby pacifier.
I don't see one of them as having anything like godly powers. I suppose a god could manifest itself as one though for some purpose, like Zeus molesting maidens in the guise of a swan or a shower of gold.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 13

... what exactly?

Well if you don't know who God is or how He would present Himself, how would
you know? I don't care if you are talking about Thor, if you have no idea who
Thor is, anyone can claim to be him for all you know. In the OT God spent a lot
of time introducing Himself to people, He did that by doing things only He could do
so you see the people describing some aspect of His nature in a name to descibe
the encounter, examples

El Shaddai = "God Almighty"
YHWH-Yireh (Adonai-jireh)—"The LORD Will Provide"
Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh (I am that I am)
YHWH (I am that I am)

Those are some examples, or if you happen to run into His Son His name is Jesus
which is possible since He was sent to us so we all come meet God and be saved
by Him.
Kelly

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by KellyJay
Well if you don't know who God is or how He would present Himself, how would
you know? I don't care if you are talking about Thor, if you have no idea who
Thor is, anyone can claim to be him for all you know. In the OT God spent a lot
of time introducing Himself to people, He did that by doing things only He could do
so you see the people describing som ...[text shortened]... h is possible since He was sent to us so we all come meet God and be saved
by Him.
Kelly
Still not quite managing to grasp the purpose of this thread are we? Plain vanilla god, any old god, what makes a god a god? Why would we regard any being as a god? NOT the biblical god, NOT the Norse gods, NOT any specific god. I am asking g how we would know a god if we stumbled across one.

Cape Town

Moves
21 Feb 13

I don't see one of them as having anything like godly powers.
If keeping a young baby happy for hours isn't Godlike powers then I don't know what is.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
21 Feb 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
If keeping a young baby happy for hours isn't Godlike powers then I don't know what is.
That's a start. Our god job description can start with "Must be able to keep an infant happy for several hours".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Feb 13
1 edit

Seems we have evidence of illiteracy in the Spirituality forum. NOT a specific god so not this eponymous God character. How could you tell if some being was a deity of some sort? What attributes make a god?

Forgive me if I do not back track or apologize. I haven't any sense to retract what I wrote to you. You may claim my illiteracy if it makes you feel better.

When you touch God spontaneously also you will become aware of where and what you yourself are. God is God. And God is also the truth about you and I.

Now that is as open ended and general as I feel to be and still be faithful to the truth. I didn't even mention the name Jesus. I am not ashamed to. I am trying to meet you approximately half way.

When you contact God the first person you will have more insight into other than God is yourself. As it is you delight to think you know others and can blame others. When you touch God it is as if everyone else in the world grows strangly dims. You will have light on your OWN case, primarily.