1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:07
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I don't understand why they have not brought in
    more controls, especially after similar incidents.
    The Government should have learned this lesson
    long ago. It does not matter who is in charge
    be they Republican or Democrat, more controls
    are needed to prevent whackos like this guy from
    getting their hands on guns.

The NRA and similar gun lobbys have a lot
    to answer for.
    I agree but unfortunently there are already so many guns out there and so many that would die rather then give them up, as they say, so I don't give much hope in anything improving.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:202 edits
    Originally posted by boonon
    The gun did not kill those children. A very deranged individual did. It could have been done with any number of weapons. There is a deeper issue here other than guns, I would dare say that it is a spiritual matter. Would you agree?
    Utter garbage...what is the utility of a gun other than to put holes in things (often humans) with the secondary effect of catastrophic shockwave damage to whatever lies inside the vessel that now has a gaping hole in it!???

It was a gun which is responsible for the death of those children. Sure there was some dickhead that had to be there pointing a killing machine at them but he would have accomplished far less murder had he been equipped with something that requires closer proximity and less ease to do his slaughtering.

By your reasoning we could say:

Nuclear bombs don't kill people, people kill people - with nuclear bombs!
    Anthrax doesn't kill people, people kill people - with anthrax!
    🙄
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:22
    It's now up to 20 children and the guys parents. He killed his Dad first back at his home and then went to the school where his Mom was at working.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:25
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Utter garbage...what is the utility of a gun other than to put holes in things (often humans) with the secondary effect of catastrophic shockwave damage to whatever lies inside the vessel that now has a gaping hole in it!???

It [b]was
    a gun which is responsible for the death of those children. Sure there was some dickhead that had to be there pointing a ...[text shortened]... uclear bombs![/i]
    Anthrax doesn't kill people, people kill people - with anthrax!
    🙄[/b]
    I agree. If one needs guns to hunt for food that is one thing. But pistols and semi and automatic weapons are made to kill humans and nothing else and these idiots doing these horrible things know that.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:35
    For many families in Connecticut, the world ended today. Words can't express the nation's feeling at this time.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, the families and friends of those affected by this heinous act of a coward.
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:42
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    For many families in Connecticut, the world ended today. Words can't express the nation's feeling at this time.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, the families and friends of those affected by this heinous act of a coward.
    Well said CP.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:43
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Thanks.....
  8. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:53
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    It is very unlikely he would have been as successful at killing as many as he did without a gun. Let's not pretend that guns are irrelevant.
    I am not saying that the gun is irrelevant. I am saying that you can't blame the gun for what an individual did. The blame must rest on whoever this man was.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 20:57
    I am not saying that the gun is irrelevant. I am saying that you can't blame the gun for what an individual did. The blame must rest on whoever this man was.
    Do you accept that if he wasn't armed with a gun, or four guns as the media is reporting, and instead was armed with a knife or baseball bat the death toll would be considerably less?
  10. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 21:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    As usual, guns seem to be an irrelevant ingredient in the almost daily mass shootings we seem to be experiencing. Funny how that works.
    I never said the gun was irrelevant. I said that you can't blame the gun. It does not have a mind or make decisions. The human who killed these innocent people made that decision. Do you blame the cars for all of the DWI deaths? Of course you don't. They were the weapon that killed innocent people, but it was a human who decided to drive that car drunk. Should we ban all motor vehicles?
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 21:03
    It's possible to run from a person with a knife or bat or whever they use. It's very hard to outrun a bullet.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 21:04
    No one is truly doing that.

No one is trying to punish guns or say that the person who did it is somehow not responsible.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 21:04
    I never said the gun was irrelevant. I said that you can't blame the gun. It does not have a mind or make decisions. The human who killed these innocent people made that decision. Do you blame the cars for all of the DWI deaths? Of course you don't. They were the weapon that killed innocent people, but it was a human who decided to drive that car drunk. Should we ban all motor vehicles?
    Is the sole utility of a motor vehicle to kill?
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 21:05
    Just my opinon but I think right now is not a good time to defend guns. Nothing personal but just my thought. If you feel you have to, it's up to you.
  15. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 21:06
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Do you accept that if he wasn't armed with a gn, or four guns as the media is reporting, and instead was armed with a knife or baseball bat the death toll would be considerably less?
    I can't say for sure the death toll would have been less. It probably would have. I find any number of innocent people killed un acceptable. Are you saying that less is acceptable? As a society we need to get to the root cause of what caused this individual to do this. Going after his weapon of choice is what I find irrelevant. Our society seems to be getting sicker. I don't think the gun caused this mans 'illness'. Would you agree that our society is more violent than in the past?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree