Guns????

Guns????

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by JS357
We may all be near some tipping point. The radio jockeys who called that nurse in London didn't know about hers. I think we should assume when we encounter someone, that we are all doing our best to manage some big issue(s) in our lives, and our best might not be good enough.
Good points for sure...

F

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Thanks. I am a good guy by all means but I have to work on myself when ones who do cross the line, "in my opinion", get to me. But I think all here should show respect for each other and if something someone is saying or doing makes anyone here feel uncomfortable reguardless of whether they feel they are innocent or not, should respect that persons request and find another way to communicate. I hate all that has happened in the other threads but even more I hope we all can handle things differently and learn from the mistakes made. Right now though that is pale in comparison to the terrible events of the day.

Are we talking about the 27 dead children here?

Moves
15 Dec 12

What about the good people who got the gun legally but thru circumstance in life such as loosing their jobs or wife or a combination of many things, tips them over the edge? Or they become mentally sick or someone breaks into their home and stills them?
What about the kids who get their parents guns and pull the stunt I talked about earlier here in Por ...[text shortened]... young men that did these shootings this last week had no previous issue before with the law.
All great points. I have no good answers my friend. I believe that most of your scenarios point to our human frailty. We all need someone to turn to or talk with when lifes trials pile on us. Unfortunately this person didn't think he had that option or was too far gone (hurting , sick) to reach out for help.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by boonon
All great points. I have no good answers my friend. I believe that most of your scenarios point to our human frailty. We all need someone to turn to or talk with when lifes trials pile on us. Unfortunately this person didn't think he had that option or was too far gone (hurting , sick) to reach out for help.
I know it is a very bad situation and one that has no real answers right now.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
[b]Thanks. I am a good guy by all means but I have to work on myself when ones who do cross the line, "in my opinion", get to me. But I think all here should show respect for each other and if something someone is saying or doing makes anyone here feel uncomfortable reguardless of whether they feel they are innocent or not, should respect that persons request ...[text shortened]... ison to the terrible events of the day.

Are we talking about the 27 dead children here?[/b]
Yes we are....

F

Moves
15 Dec 12
1 edit

Yes we are....
So "reguardless of whether they feel they are innocent or not", in your post above, refers to the 27 dead children? And "not crossing the line" refers to the murderer's actions?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
So [b]"reguardless of whether they feel they are innocent or not", in your post above, refers to the 27 dead children? And "not crossing the line" refers to the murderer's actions?[/b]
Sorry I misunderstood your question. That post was referring to something else.

Houston, Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Stories like this certainly lend weight to the argument that ordinary law abiding people should have the right to own firearms so as to be able to protect themselves against killers like these.
Highly unlikely would have helped or prevented this. Instead, quite the opposite, the current massive proliferation and availability of guns for ordinary law-abiding people made this event much more likely.

Score today.

NRA -- 26
School Children -- 0

Moves
15 Dec 12

Yes we are....
What concerns me is that I have read that ~3% of any human population are psychopaths, which is a label, but it means that there are people to whom other human lives are without value except in the exploitation or taking thereof. It might be biological. That %age, whatever it is, will act out their anger or frustration or whatever tag you want, in the way we have seen today and we will see it again. While I am pro-gun control, I think we will always have the lone massacre perpetrator in our midst. We need more gun control. But don't expect it to eliminate the problem.

F

Moves
15 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by moon1969
Highly unlikely would have helped or prevented this.
If the killer had been himself killed after only killing one or two children, it would have been "...[h]ighly unlikely would have helped or prevented" the killing of the remaining 26-26 children? That was the point I made. I wasn't making a point about the NRA.

edit: sorry, in fact I made the point about killing the killer in a subsequent post.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by boonon
I agree with your premise. Humans always adapt and overcome. What I am saying is that if for some reason there were no guns available, the killer would find an alternative. If he is sick enough to think of mass murder I believe he would be sick enough to figure another way to do it.
Correct, the Oklahoma bombers used fertilizer.

http://newsok.com/fertilizer-used-in-oklahoma-city-norway-bombings-is-readily-available-in-u.s./article/3588777

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Correct, the Oklahoma bombers used fertilizer.

http://newsok.com/fertilizer-used-in-oklahoma-city-norway-bombings-is-readily-available-in-u.s./article/3588777
Yes all of it is bad and horrible. But not everyone can use fertizer as a plan of attack thank goodness. But still the issue with guns is they are eveywhere.

Houston, Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12
1 edit

Yes all of it is bad and horrible. But not everyone can use fertizer as a plan of attack thank goodness. But still the issue with guns is they are eveywhere.
galveston and I agree on this issue, that's for sure. This is really a clear case. The huge proliferation and availability of ease-of-use guns make massive death much more possible, than compared to the the complexity of bombs, less lethal nature of knives, etc.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Dec 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=vHNeD5FXIFI

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Dec 12

I hope you gun people ar watching the news this morning with children being killed at their school.
I'm sorry, are you blaming people who had nothing to do with that for that crime?
Kelly