Guns????

Guns????

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
And mentally ill people shouldn't therefore have access to guns.

Guns should thus be restricted to people who pass a sanity test and have a legitimate need to have them.
And they should be registered and required to meet minimum standards of training and have adequate security...
ect ect ect.

Also what planet do you live on where you think that if we didn't have guns tyrants would have ruled the world for
the last 200 years?
I wholeheartedly agree with your first statements sir.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Anything can be used to kill another human being CP. I could bludgeon someone to death with my coffee mug, but that it is not what it was designed for. A gun though has one single purpose, and that is to kill or maim.
I think the original purpose for the gun was no different than the sligshot or bow and arrow and that was to make hunting for food easier and quicker. Today, guns are made for many purposes, so see the link.

http://orygunner.blogspot.com/2011/01/primary-purpose-of-guns-killing-nope.html

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 Dec 12

And mentally ill people shouldn't therefore have access to guns.

Guns should thus be restricted to people who pass a sanity test and have a legitimate need to have them.
And they should be registered and required to meet minimum standards of training and have adequate security...
ect ect ect.

Also what planet do you live on where you think that if we didn't have guns tyrants would have ruled the world for
the last 200 years?
The problem is with people's hearts and minds, and more government control is not going to change that.

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by Agerg
So you wouldn't have a problem with people having their own stockpiles of suitcase nukes then, I mean, nukes don't kill people do they!?...and what's more, you gotta defend against intruders somehow haven't you bonoon! 😞
You are not making any sense. I said no such thing. People kill people. People design these terrible things that you talk about. The root cause is people. You can not thrust the blame to an object invented by and made by man.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
The problem is with people's hearts and minds, and more government control is not going to change that.
Probably not with better control but it would be to everyones safety and piece of mind if they tried all they can dispite ones who don't want it.
And this issues with the mind and heart are true. Nothing anyone can do will really fix that but hopefully on some levels it would help.

My question to all is why do so many feel they need weapons that should only be allowed in the military?
Why this mindset to not only to protect ones property or life, but to absolutley obliterate someone? I don't understand this.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by boonon
You are not making any sense. I said no such thing. People kill people. People design these terrible things that you talk about. The root cause is people. You can not thrust the blame to an object invented by and made by man.
You may have said this already but would you go for better gun control?

Moves
15 Dec 12

The key in all mass shootings is that the perpetrators can kill vast amounts of people because access to guns is easy. Take away the guns and the scale of the slaughter is reduced. I'm not saying less is acceptable, no deaths are acceptable.

This individual walked into a school with four guns, if reports are correct, no one has a chance of disarming ...[text shortened]... d to 1764. They have always occurred, but they seem to be happening with a lot more regularity.
I agree with your premise. Humans always adapt and overcome. What I am saying is that if for some reason there were no guns available, the killer would find an alternative. If he is sick enough to think of mass murder I believe he would be sick enough to figure another way to do it.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
15 Dec 12
1 edit

Given your stance on guns - in that killing devices invented by humans are not the problem, then why can we not make the same game with portable nukes? Why should that sort of killing device be a problem whilst guns (a killing device) are not a problem?

Please show me how, in a structural sense, it is the case that given two killing devices, an exception should be made for one but not the other.

Moves
15 Dec 12

The key in all mass shootings is that the perpetrators can kill vast amounts of people because access to guns is easy. Take away the guns and the scale of the slaughter is reduced. I'm not saying less is acceptable, no deaths are acceptable.

This individual walked into a school with four guns, if reports are correct, no one has a chance of disarming ...[text shortened]... d to 1764. They have always occurred, but they seem to be happening with a lot more regularity.
To get a gun legally in NY is anything but easy. It is a lengthy process that involves background checks by many different agencies. Outlawing them would not get rid of them. It would only make them available to the criminal, leaving the 'non' criminal defenseless. Guns are bad in the hands of bad people.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

To get a gun legally in NY is anything but easy. It is a lengthy process that involves background checks by many different agencies. Outlawing them would not get rid of them. It would only make them available to the criminal, leaving the 'non' criminal defenseless. Guns are bad in the hands of bad people.
What about the good people who got the gun legally but thru circumstance in life such as loosing their jobs or wife or a combination of many things, tips them over the edge? Or they become mentally sick or someone breaks into their home and stills them?
What about the kids who get their parents guns and pull the stunt I talked about earlier here in Portland?
I know the scenarios can be endless but it's not just the "bad" people we have to worry about.
These two young men that did these shootings this last week had no previous issue before with the law.

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
You may have said this already but would you go for better gun control?
Sure I would, but what does that mean? How do we keep criminals from getting guns? Our community does a gun amnesty once a year where illegal guns can be turned in with no questions asked. I believe they offer them something in exchange for the gun, however I'm not sure what it is. What would you see as better gun control? I personally see no need for assault weapons other than for the military.

Moves
15 Dec 12

What about the good people who got the gun legally but thru circumstance in life such as loosing their jobs or wife or a combination of many things, tips them over the edge? Or they become mentally sick or someone breaks into their home and stills them?
What about the kids who get their parents guns and pull the stunt I talked about earlier here in Por ...[text shortened]... young men that did these shootings this last week had no previous issue before with the law.
I have one problem with this post.

It's well reasoned and argued.

You make a good reasonable logical point.

Which proves that you are capable of both understanding and making good sound logical arguments.

This throws allot of your other posts into a bad light.
Because you have in this thread demonstrated yourself capable of doing better.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12
1 edit

I have one problem with this post.

It's well reasoned and argued.

You make a good reasonable logical point.

Which proves that you are capable of both understanding and making good sound logical arguments.

This throws allot of your other posts into a bad light.
Because you have in this thread demonstrated yourself capable of doing better.
Thanks. I am a good guy by all means but I have to work on myself when ones who do cross the line, "in my opinion", get to me. But I think all here should show respect for each other and if something someone is saying or doing makes anyone here feel uncomfortable reguardless of whether they feel they are innocent or not, should respect that persons request and find another way to communicate.
I hate all that has happened in the other threads but even more I hope we all can handle things differently and learn from the mistakes made.
Right now though that is pale in comparison to the terrible events of the day.

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by Agerg
Given your stance on guns - in that killing devices invented by humans are not the problem, then why can we not make the same game with portable nukes? Why should that sort of killing device be a problem whilst guns (a killing device) are not a problem?

Please show me how, in a structural sense, it is the case that given two killing devices, an exception should be made for one but not the other.
Was it you who said you could kill someone with your coffee cup? If not , someone did. Using your logic we should outlaw , knives (how can I cut my steak) , bats (no more baseball) and any other object that could potentially cause death by it's use.

As far as nukes go I wholeheartedly wish they had never been invented.

Guns were made for killing, I agree. However I believe they were made for killing animals ( deer , rabbit, ) and things for me to eat. Not for killing man. Sick individuals, very , very, very sick people use them to murder innocent people. These same sick people will kill with anything, whether it's a gun or a rock or a knife or a bomb or poison, and the list goes on. People are the problem.

Moves
15 Dec 12

What about the kids who get their parents guns and pull the stunt I talked about earlier here in Por ...[text shortened]... young men that did these shootings this last week had no previous issue before with the law.
We may all be near some tipping point. The radio jockeys who called that nurse in London didn't know about hers. I think we should assume when we encounter someone, that we are all doing our best to manage some big issue(s) in our lives, and our best might not be good enough.