Guns????

Guns????

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF
What do you make of the contrast with Canada in terms of the correlation of movies and TV and gun crime?
That's an interesting point. Do you have any idea what the gap between rich and poor is like in Canada FMF? Are the 'haves' in the north less obvious than those south of the border? (I could look into this myself I suppose but I've got guests arriving shortly... )

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
I'm sorry, are you blaming people who had nothing to do with that for that crime?
Kelly
FMF (and others) were accused by Galveston of behaving like the "end times" in the hyphenated Christians thread, so take it in your stride.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by boonon
I agree with your premise. Humans always adapt and overcome. What I am saying is that if for some reason there were no guns available, the killer would find an alternative. If he is sick enough to think of mass murder I believe he would be sick enough to figure another way to do it.
Maybe so, but if this individual didn't have access to guns the slaughter would have been dramatically reduced.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by boonon
To get a gun legally in NY is anything but easy. It is a lengthy process that involves background checks by many different agencies. Outlawing them would not get rid of them. It would only make them available to the criminal, leaving the 'non' criminal defenseless. Guns are bad in the hands of bad people.
I'm not advocating outlawing them, i'm advocating much stricter gun control laws.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Maybe so, but if this individual didn't have access to guns the slaughter would have been dramatically reduced.
How do you know, maybe a bomb or a fire would have been worse? If you want to
claim that without guns there would be no gun crime sure, but the human heart that
is hell bent on mass murder will find away. So direct the blame on the monster that
did the crime.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Dec 12

I'm not advocating outlawing them, i'm advocating much stricter gun control laws.
We don't need more gun laws we need people who want to murder to have a
change of heart so murder doesn't occur. It is a crime issue not a more gun law
problem.
Kelly

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Dec 12

How do you know, maybe a bomb or a fire would have been worse? If you want to
claim that without guns there would be no gun crime sure, but the human heart that
is hell bent on mass murder will find away. So direct the blame on the monster that
did the crime.
Kelly
Of course the blame lies on the person who carried out the attack, where have i indicated anything different?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Dec 12

We don't need more gun laws we need people who want to murder to have a
change of heart so murder doesn't occur. It is a crime issue not a more gun law
problem.
Kelly
What you need is a ban on guns that can hold over a certain number of rounds. No civilian needs military grade weapons, they are designed for one purpose - maximum killing.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Dec 12

What you need is a ban on guns that can hold over a certain number of rounds. No civilian needs military grade weapons, they are designed for one purpose - maximum killing.
Not sure how that would change thinigs, the last two times something like this
happened they were carrying more than one weapon. It is the human heart that
can get so twisted, the cure has to be there, where there is a will there will always
be away to do harm.
Kelly

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Dec 12

Not sure how that would change thinigs, the last two times something like this
happened they were carrying more than one weapon. It is the human heart that
can get so twisted, the cure has to be there, where there is a will there will always
be away to do harm.
Kelly
Kelly, we've been killing each other as long as we've been on this planet. The earliest school shooting in the US can be dated to 1764 (according wiki), our species is prone to violence.

If society can't reduce peoples propensity towards violence, then reduce the amount of violence they can commit. In the case of bullets it's a matter of math. A gun that can hold say five rounds is going to do a lot less damage than a gun which holds twenty or fifty.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
I am a good guy by all means but I have to work on myself...I hate all that has happened in the other threads but even more I hope we all can handle things differently and learn from the mistakes made.
What mistakes do you think you made Galveston and what have you learnt from them?

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by shiloh
What do "us gun people" have to do with the unpredictable act of a particular deranged individual? What about "you economic people" or "you educational people" or "you psychology people?" What is pointing fingers going to accomplish?
Well first off it is not unpredictable... it's not even close to being unpredictable.

The only thing that couldn't be predicted about this atrocity is where or when.

That it happened was nigh on inevitable.

And the reason that guns are relevant is that wide ownership of guns and the culture
surrounding them is why this man was able to kill that many people that quickly.

The ease of getting hold of weapons that powerful is a significant factor in both the number
and severity of such incidents. (not the only factor, but a significant one)

In this instance (according to the current news reports, which can be relied upon to be
inaccurate at this stage) it currently looks like the guns used were owned by the mother
of the murderer. Whether or not she had a legitimate need or reason to own them, if she
had them and their ammo securely stored in a gun safe that only she new the access code to
then it would have been much harder for her son to flip out and go on a killing spree.
And certainly much harder to go on that big a killing spree.

There are some legitimate uses for guns.

However as with all powerful and dangerous tools they should be strictly and heavily regulated
and restricted.

Those who want/need them should be able to demonstrate a need, as well as fitness to own them.

I have no objections to people owning hunting rifles or sporting pistols as long as they are well regulated
and secured.

However there is no need (except in some few exceptional circumstances which can be dealt with on
a case by case basis) for members of the public to own regular hand guns and assault rifles.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Dec 12

Kelly, we've been killing each other as long as we've been on this planet. The earliest school shooting in the US can be dated to 1764 (according wiki), our species is prone to violence.

If society can't reduce peoples propensity towards violence, then reduce the amount of violence they can commit. In the case of bullets it's a matter of math. A gun ...[text shortened]... old say five rounds is going to do a lot less damage than a gun which holds twenty or fifty.
I didn't deny that 5 rounds verses 20 kills less, I just pointed out if you wanted to
kill 20 you'd bring more guns or get created in other ways to do maximum damage
as Timothy McVeigh showed us with the Oklahoma City bombing.
Kelly

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by divegeester
What mistakes do you think you made Galveston and what have you learnt from them?
I really would not like to discuss that under this thread. That is not what this posting is about which is a very serious and sad subject. Please respect that.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
I really would not like to discuss that under this thread. That is not what this posting is about which is a very serious and sad subject. Please respect that.
Of course, I was merely responding to you posting this about yourself earlier in this thread:

I am a good guy by all means but I have to work on myself when ones who do cross the line, "in my opinion", get to me. But I think all here should show respect for each other and if something someone is saying or doing makes anyone here feel uncomfortable reguardless of whether they feel they are innocent or not, should respect that persons request and find another way to communicate. I hate all that has happened in the other threads but even more I hope we all can handle things differently and learn from the mistakes made.