1. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 01:21
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    That's a question with a long and complicated answer which would require it's
    own thread.

So here I'll just say that it's not really relevant to the topic at hand and I don't
    want to derail the thread by going off on a tangent.
    Have a shot, thread... "What are the rules..."
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 02:201 edit
    Sin has nothing to do with morality because the rules for determining what
    is classed as a sin have nothing to do with morality.

The rule is simply "things that god/s have prohibited" [or words to that effect,
    not trying to make an airtight definition here as I am relying on your own common
    sense]

EDIT: and that was perfectly clear in my last post.
    I think you need to establish that please God was the only reason for declaring certain actions sinful.

When they wrote the law against murder, I'm sure they had in mind the side-benefit of having some discouragement of killing, so they could have a more peaceful society. (Yes, I know the society was not very peaceful. They were not very good at keeping their own law. But that's humanity for you. Point is, the motivation was there.)

There are also laws commanding forgiveness of debts of fellow Israelites. That had an obvious benefit to poor Israeli people; it was not only done to please God.

There were laws outlawing the eating of certain unclean animals. At that time, it was necessary not to eat pork, for there was no sure-fire way of removing all the disease, worms, etc. from it. So, that was a motivation, along with pleasing God.

Look, the last thing I want to do is defend OT law. It is very primitive, and it sanctions many things considered grossly immoral today, like slavery and rape. But I think it's going too far to say there was no other motivation behind any of the law but to please God.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 12:541 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I think you need to establish that please God was the [b]only reason for declaring certain actions sinful.

When they wrote the law against murder, I'm sure they had in mind the side-benefit of having some discouragement of killing, so they could have a more peaceful society. (Yes, I know the society was not very peaceful. They were not very good a ...[text shortened]... it's going too far to say there was no other motivation behind any of the law but to please God.[/b]
    Ahah... I see where we are disagreeing...

I am judging the concept of sin as commandments of a god or gods.
    They are supposed to have been handed down from/by a god.

In reality they were indeed made up by people as gods don't exist.

But the idea of sin is that it's handed down from a god and that is how
    I judge the concept.

Of course there were all kinds of motivations for the people making this
    stuff up, but they are not around to ask, and the people around today
    who believe in 'sin' tell you that sins are crimes against god/s and/or prohibitions
    of god/s.

So I am judging the concept of sin as described in the holy books and by the
    religions adherents.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 13:011 edit
    Ahah... I see where we are disagreeing...

I am judging the [b]concept
    of sin as commandments of a god or gods.
    They are supposed to have been handed down from/by a god.

In reality they were indeed made up by people as gods don't exist.

But the idea of sin is that it's handed down from a god and that is how
    I judge the concept.

O ...[text shortened]... I am judging the concept of sin as described in the holy books and by the
    religions adherents.[/b]
    I need to confess my sin! I am a straight man in a gay world. I cannot keep it hidden any longer, its eating me up, i gotta come outa the closet and tell someone. I love boobs, I cannot help it. I know its a sin, but i confess it openly! May the Lord have mercy on my soul.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 13:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I need to confess my sin! I am a straight man in a gay world. I cannot keep it hidden any longer, its eating me up, i gotta come outa the closet and tell someone. I love boobs, I cannot help it. I know its a sin, but i confess it openly! May the Lord have mercy on my soul.
    Apart from being part of your typical and repugnant homophobic screed...

How is that relevant to anything I wrote?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 13:262 edits
    Apart from being part of your typical and repugnant homophobic screed...

How is that relevant to anything I wrote?
    Nothing in particular just thought id mention my struggle to face up to reality, thats all. It is a thread about 'have you sinned today', after all, tis it not.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 13:44
    Nothing in particular just thought id mention my struggle to face up to reality, thats all. It is a thread about 'have you sinned today', after all, tis it not.
    This is indeed a thread about "have you sinned today"...

However you are being disingenuous as you well know that neither you, nor
    your religion, regard being homophobic as a sin.

So while you are certainly being immoral, you are not [on this count] actually sinning.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 14:46
    This is indeed a thread about "have you sinned today"...

However you are being disingenuous as you well know that neither you, nor
    your religion, regard being homophobic as a sin.

So while you are certainly being immoral, you are not [on this count] actually sinning.
    immoral? I told you dude, its not easy being a straight man in a gay world.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 16:042 edits
    immoral? I told you dude, its not easy being a straight man in a gay world.
    Actually it's incredibly easy to be in the dominant majority ["strait people" in this case]
    and this is absolutely not a "gay world" as testified by the fact that gay people are
    persecuted and marginalised [to varying degrees] all over the world.
    EDIT: And also that they represent a small minority of somewhere between 1 to 10% of
    people.

What is becoming harder, at least in some parts of the world, is being a homophobic bigot
    without being called to task for it. This is a good thing.

Although given that you are a homophobic bigot I can understand why you wouldn't think
    that.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 16:153 edits
    Actually it's incredibly easy to be in the dominant majority ["strait people" in this case]
    and this is absolutely not a "gay world" as testified by the fact that gay people are
    persecuted and marginalised [to varying degrees] all over the world.
    EDIT: And also that they represent a small minority of somewhere between 1 to 10% of
    people.

...[text shortened]...
    Although given that you are a homophobic bigot I can understand why you wouldn't think
    that.
    how much name calling can a man take before he breaks down and retreats back into his closet? rejected by my friends, i came out into a world that was not ready for me, a world conditioned to reject me for what I am, marginalized and persecuted I run the risk of losing my job if i dare declare my true nature, a straight man in a gay world and all because i love the shape of boobs.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 16:19
    how much name calling can a man take before he breaks down and retreats back into his closet? rejected by my friends, i came out into a world that was not ready for me, a world conditioned to reject me for what I am, marginalized and persecuted I run the risk of losing my job if i dare declare my true nature, a straight man in a gay world and all because i love the shape of boobs.
    YouTube
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 16:241 edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxauqa7rJgI
    its no use, the damage is done, I am already broken. I must retreat to the fringes of society, a leprous pestilent fellow, an outcast daring to dream of a world in which equality rules. One day i will be accepted for what I am, a straight man in a gay world and until that day, i dream the dream. . . . of boobs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree