1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 19:42
    @rajk999 said
    writings of the OT is useful for proper understanding of Gods purpose but they are not essential writings / teachings.
    What are the essential writings/teachings and how do you know?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Aug '20 23:27
    @wolfgang59 said
    What are the essential writings/teachings and how do you know?
    The writings of Solomon all contain good advice. The prophets foretell events to come in the history of mankind.

God says so, and before you laugh you have said several times that you believe certain things because your 'experts' [men], said so. I think Im in better shape than you are.

I dont want to be like you and you dont want to be like me. So lets call it quits.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 01:10
    @rajk999 said
    The writings of Solomon all contain good advice. The prophets foretell events to come in the history of mankind.

God says so, and before you laugh you have said several times that you believe certain things because your 'experts' [men], said so. I think Im in better shape than you are.

I dont want to be like you and you dont want to be like me. So lets call it quits.
    I'm quite happy with us both being who we are.
    I was just asking what are the essential writings/teachings
    that you referred to and how do you know?

You give Solomon as an example. How do you know it contains "good advice"?
    Is that your opinion or is there some authority you follow which recommends Solomon?

Thanks.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 01:38
    @wolfgang59 said
    I'm quite happy with us both being who we are.
    I was just asking what are the essential writings/teachings
    that you referred to and how do you know?

You give Solomon as an example. How do you know it contains "good advice"?
    Is that your opinion or is there some authority you follow which recommends Solomon?

Thanks.
    I dont need any authority to tell me what is good advice and what is not.
    If you need that then that is your failing.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 02:19
    @rajk999 said
    I dont need any authority to tell me what is good advice and what is not.
    If you need that then that is your failing.
    So you very much take your own advice and choose selected bits
    of the bible to back up your own opinions. So quoting the bible
    as a source of wisdom is really rather pointless isn't it?
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 05:04
    @rajk999 said
    I understand. Paul said that these kinds of discussions are pointless.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with ...[text shortened]... h the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (2 Corinthians 6:14-17 KJV)
    Yep, never the twain shall meet. So, because I don't believe that children should be beaten up or homosexuals should be stoned to death, I am, according to you: unrighteous, dark, Belialish, whatever that means, an infidel who worships idols, and an unclean thing.

I'd rather be all of the above than hit a child, only child abusers hit children, and if hitting a child is righteous then I'm a chartered accountant. I'm done, but before I go I would just like to say that I have a gay niece who I love to bits, and if anyone dare suggest in my presence that she be punished or discriminated against in any way for her sexuality, I'd punch their lights out.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 05:10
    @wolfgang59 said
    The difficulty rajk999 has found himself in this thread is also the reason why most religionists insist that their book of choice is completely true front to back, even completely literal as, for example, KellyJay asserts.

However KellyJay and others here who insist that the bible is literal find themselves in the same situation as rajk999 i.e. being unable to support their assertions form scripture due to contradictions.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 10:10
    @wolfgang59 said
    Wrong. I take advice from the bible. God gave Solomon wisdom [and women] that made him the envy of wise people throughout history. Heeding the wisdom of Solomon can never be construed as taking my own advice.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 10:24
    @indonesia-phil said
    Yep, never the twain shall meet. So, because I don't believe that children should be beaten up or homosexuals should be stoned to death, I am, according to you: unrighteous, dark, Belialish, whatever that means, an infidel who worships idols, and an unclean thing.

I'd rather be all of the above than hit a child, only child abusers hit children, and if hitting a chi ...[text shortened]... t she be punished or discriminated against in any way for her sexuality, I'd punch their lights out.
    You are emotionally attached to this topic I see. Your opinion and conclusions would therefore be biased. As I said before God will judge all people.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 10:34
    @rajk999 said
    Heeding the wisdom of Solomon can never be construed as taking my own advice.
    Ok.
    But who told you to take the advice of Solomon?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 10:42
    @wolfgang59 said
    Ok.
    But who told you to take the advice of Solomon?
    Both God and my own experience in life, have clearly demonstrated that the wisdom of Solomon is very good, and superior to the wisdom of men.

Who told you not to take Solomon's advice?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 20:05
    @rajk999 said
    Both God and my own experience in life, have clearly demonstrated that the wisdom of Solomon is very good, and superior to the wisdom of men.
    So you are initially guided by god and experience.

How do you get this information from god?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 21:58
    @wolfgang59 said
    So you are initially guided by god and experience.

How do you get this information from god?
    One thing is for certain. You will have a chance to ask God all these questions and He will provide appropriate answers. Im flattered you seem to think I know the answers to all these questions. See you in another thread.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 22:48
    @rajk999 said
    You are emotionally attached to this topic I see. Your opinion and conclusions would therefore be biased. As I said before God will judge all people.
    No, you don't get away with that. I don't need to personally know someone who is homosexual to know that discrimination against homosexuals is wrong. Since no rational person reading the bible in any kind of objective way would believe that that what is written therein has any relevance to the world in which we now live, and the deeper understanding that we now have, or should have, any kind of belief in or attachment to the bible is emotional.

You believe what is written in the bible by people who lived thousands of years ago because you have been told to believe it, and now, because you have been told to believe it, you want to believe it, to the point that you are no longer able to form or express your own opinions about the world around you. Thus do you attempt to defend the morally indefensible How's that for bias?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Aug '20 22:53
    @rajk999 said
    Im flattered you seem to think I know the answers to all these questions.
    You have said that experience and god guides your choice of what to follow in the bible.

I just asked how does god let you know.

Surely you can tell me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree