1. Maryland
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 02:12
    I would like to announce that freznippians exist, I know they exist because no one can prove they don't exist. Also, the fact that this announcement is here in print is added proof of truth. It has been revealed to me that if you believe in freznippians, you will be rich and live an eternal life. Send 667joe $10.00 US to learn the details.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 02:22
    Originally posted by 667joe
    I would like to announce that freznippians exist, I know they exist because no one can prove they don't exist. Also, the fact that this announcement is here in print is added proof of truth. It has been revealed to me that if you believe in freznippians, you will be rich and live an eternal life. Send 667joe $10.00 US to learn the details.
    Sorry to inform you that freznippians are extinct now. They were hunted down and eaten by the suropliticatans years ago.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 02:25
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. Care to explain?
    You claim that a person who applies critical thinking to their situation would never go to church. I disagree on the following basis.

Critical thinking is exactly what the Lord Jesus Christ implored people to employ in their everyday lives when He told them to 'ask, seek and knock.' He is certainly not afraid of the questions because He already had the answers.

When we continually ask further questions, He provides the answers--- not just because He is a wealth of fact-based information, but rather because He Himself is the answer. He provides.

Concluding that He is the answer and that He provides, I must therefore follow His prescription for life if I am to enjoy it as He intended. One of the few commands Christians were given in the new covenant was to grow in the grace and in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

What does that mean? I need to understand who He is, what He does... I need to know His character. The only method for knowing anything is to renew our minds, to take in doctrine related to His character.

Where can I find that stuff with which I can renew my mind, that doctrine? Sadly, most churches do not offer this anymore--- or, if they do, it is in frustratingly small doses sugar-coated with all manner of crap. Many of them, as you infer, are more concerned with denomination protection than anything remotely close to truth.

Nonetheless, however small the dose, however sugar-coated and hidden the doctrine might be, church is the best bet for finding it. Much better than any other forum on the face of the planet.

Allowing the wheat to grow among the tares might not seem the most expedient method by some: there are many believers whose self-righteous indignation makes it nearly impossible for them to 'suffer' the existence of non-believers. However, this is God's plan, i.e., to let the wheat grow in a situation perhaps not ideal, but ultimately effective.

Until and such time as God Himself returns to earth, until such time as no one needs any further teaching about Him, church is the best place to get whatever precious little doctrine they let slip out.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 02:46
    Originally posted by josephw
    Sorry to inform you that freznippians are extinct now. They were hunted down and eaten by the suropliticatans years ago.
    See, further proof of their existence. They were hunted down but morphed into Bud Light Cans until the suropliticatans left. (The suropliticatans were all wine drinkers!)
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 02:55
    Originally posted by 667joe
    See, further proof of their existence. They were hunted down but morphed into Bud Light Cans until the suropliticatans left. (The suropliticatans were all wine drinkers!)
    Ya, but the freznippians got yeast infections from the beer and died.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 03:01
    They think just like the rest of us, but they have one thought though that keeps running through their minds that the rest of us don't.

There is no God, there is no God, there is no God, there is no God, there is no God.... 😉
    No; actually we don't.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 03:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No; actually we don't.
    It's supposed to be for fun. Don't be so serious.

But you have to admit atheists have to think "there is no God".

Nobody else thinks it.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 03:17
    "Applied critical thinking."

Apply this then. It is irrelevant whether or not one is a member of a particular "church" or denomination.

What is critical is whether or not one is a member of the "body of Christ."
    "body of Christ". How does one become a member?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 03:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You claim that a person who applies critical thinking to their situation would never go to church. I disagree on the following basis.

Critical thinking is exactly what the Lord Jesus Christ implored people to employ in their everyday lives when He told them to 'ask, seek and knock.' He is certainly not afraid of the questions because He already had th ...[text shortened]... t Him, church is the best place to get whatever precious little doctrine they let slip out.
    Well put Freaky.
    By your own admission church is not the best,conclusive place to find the truth.

I just always wonder why christians have this incessant necessity to go on about christ.
    Yes. Too much blithereing about christ not enough questioning and debating about his tachings.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 03:57
    "body of Christ". How does one become a member?
    By Grace through faith.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 04:01
    Well put Freaky.
    By your own admission church is not the best,conclusive place to find the truth.

I just always wonder why christians have this incessant necessity to go on about christ.
    Yes. Too much blithereing about christ not enough questioning and debating about his tachings.
    Well put Freaky.
    Thanks. That's just my critical thinking coming out, you know!

Actually, what I said was...

"Nonetheless, however small the dose, however sugar-coated and hidden the doctrine might be, church is the best bet for finding it. Much better than any other forum on the face of the planet." [emphasis added]

Unfortunately, most of them are hiding their light beneath a bushel.

Being The Unique Person of the universe confers a certain amount of focus and attention. I, for one, think He's beyond cool and I'd rather spend time thinking of Him than literally any thing or one in all existence. That's just me, of course.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 04:39
    By Grace through faith.
    So if I have faith in Jesus I will be admitted into the membership into the "body of christ" and enter into a state of Grace? Is that right?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 04:47
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Well put Freaky.
    Thanks. That's just my critical thinking coming out, you know!

Actually, what I said was...

"Nonetheless, however small the dose, however sugar-coated and hidden the doctrine might be, church is the best bet for finding it. Much ...[text shortened]... nking of Him than literally any thing or one in all existence. That's just me, of course.[/b]
    "Thats just me , of course", come now Freaky, I'm sure you know that a lot of other christians confer with that view.

Muslims would say that Mohammed is the "Unique Person of the universe" . Hare Krsnas would say Lord Krsna,etc.

I would say we all are. Or more precisely , that we all have the potential to be, given that all people have been born with the godseed.

I will ask again: why cant people get to God through other prophets/messiahs? I believe that Jesus as a perfectly vaild way, and judging by the interpretations of the gospel, I see no reason to fault the true message of Jesus(as I understand it).
    But to say that he is the only way leads to a very dangerous path.
  14. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 07:57
    They think just like the rest of us, but they have one thought though that keeps running through their minds that the rest of us don't.

There is no God, there is no God, there is no God, there is no God, there is no God.... 😉
    How a Christian thinks:

There is no Allah, there is no Allah, there is no Allah, there is no Allah, there is no Allah....

There is no Vishnu, there is no Vishnu, there is no Vishnu, there is no Vishnu, there is no Vishnu....

There is no Buddha, there is no Buddha, there is no Buddha, there is no Buddha, there is no buddha....

And repeat for several thousand more Gods...
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 08:41

Interesting. This issue of mental attachment to a (non) concept is one reason for my thinking that labels like 'atheist' serve no good purpose at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree