1. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 18:43
    Originally posted by josephw
    Think so?

Did you get your feelings hurt. :'(
    Yikes, you make the set of beliefs that much more intriguing.
    I do not dogmatically respond to appeal to emotion
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 18:55
    jaywill and I are fundamentally on the same page.

Lower case on the josephw. I think it reads easier.
    What? You think repeating something enough times makes it true? Geez!
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 20:13
    They think just like the rest of us, but they have one thought though that keeps running through their minds that the rest of us don't.

There is no God, there is no God, there is no God, there is no God, there is no God.... ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Here's how a real atheist thinks.
    Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he does NOT want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and burn, and choke, and scream, until the end of time....
    ....But he loves you. He loves you and he needs MONEY!
    -George Carlin

'Tis a thing of beauty.
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 20:45
    Let us develop a kind of dangerous unselfishness. One day a man came to Jesus, and he wanted to raise some questions about some vital matters of life. At points he wanted to trick Jesus, and show him that he knew a little more than Jesus knew and throw him off base....

Now that question could have easily ended up in a philosophical and theological debate. But Jesus immediately pulled that question from mid-air, and placed it on a dangerous curve between Jerusalem and Jericho. And he talked about a certain man, who fell among thieves. You remember that a Levite and a priest passed by on the other side. They didn't stop to help him. And finally a man of another race came by. He got down from his beast, decided not to be compassionate by proxy. But he got down with him, administered first aid, and helped the man in need. Jesus ended up saying, this was the good man, this was the great man, because he had the capacity to project the "I" into the "thou," and to be concerned about his brother.

Now you know, we use our imagination a great deal to try to determine why the priest and the Levite didn't stop. At times we say they were busy going to a church meeting, an ecclesiastical gathering, and they had to get on down to Jerusalem so they wouldn't be late for their meeting. At other times we would speculate that there was a religious law that "One who was engaged in religious ceremonials was not to touch a human body twenty-four hours before the ceremony." And every now and then we begin to wonder whether maybe they were not going down to Jerusalem -- or down to Jericho, rather to organize a "Jericho Road Improvement Association." That's a possibility. Maybe they felt that it was better to deal with the problem from the causal root, rather than to get bogged down with an individual effect.

But I'm going to tell you what my imagination tells me. It's possible that those men were afraid. You see, the Jericho road is a dangerous road. I remember when Mrs. King and I were first in Jerusalem. We rented a car and drove from Jerusalem down to Jericho. And as soon as we got on that road, I said to my wife, "I can see why Jesus used this as the setting for his parable." It's a winding, meandering road. It's really conducive for ambushing. You start out in Jerusalem, which is about 1200 miles -- or rather 1200 feet above sea level. And by the time you get down to Jericho, fifteen or twenty minutes later, you're about 2200 feet below sea level. That's a dangerous road. In the days of Jesus it came to be known as the "Bloody Pass." And you know, it's possible that the priest and the Levite looked over that man on the ground and wondered if the robbers were still around. Or it's possible that they felt that the man on the ground was merely faking. And he was acting like he had been robbed and hurt, in order to seize them over there, lure them there for quick and easy seizure. And so the first question that the priest asked -- the first question that the Levite asked was, "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But then the Good Samaritan came by. And he reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?

Martin Luther King - Memphis, 3 April 1968
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 22:56
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he does NOT want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fir ...[text shortened]... you. He loves you and he needs MONEY!
    -George Carlin

'Tis a thing of beauty.[/b]
    I can only shudder to think of the torment ol' Georgie is feeling these days...
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 23:091 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he does NOT want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fir ...[text shortened]... you. He loves you and he needs MONEY!
    -George Carlin

'Tis a thing of beauty.[/b]
    lol.

Though it seems like George was unaware of modern Christianity. In modern Christianity, you can do those "ten specific things" as much as you want so long as you "profess belief in Jesus".
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 23:15
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    lol.

Though it seems like George was unaware of modern Christianity. In modern Christianity, you can do those "ten specific things" as much as you want so long as you "profess belief in Jesus".
    Typical delusional reasoning.

I have never met a Christian who uses grace as a license to sin. It is a fallacy propagated by folks like you who are obviously jealous of the liberty we true believers enjoy.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 00:15
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I can only shudder to think of the torment ol' Georgie is feeling these days...
    It's a shudder of excitement, though....right?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 01:26
    Typical delusional reasoning.

I have never met a Christian who uses grace as a license to sin. It is a fallacy propagated by folks like you who are obviously jealous of the liberty we true believers enjoy.
    Typical delusional reasoning is repeating something so often that it makes it true for the repeater. But hey, don't let me but in๐Ÿ™‚
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 05:41
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    If christians used applied critical thinking they would cease to be christians.

I should say"they would cease to be members of any church or denomination."
    So you would say that Christ lacked critical thinking skills?
  11. Pretoria
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 06:11
    What!!!!! And all these years I was "thinking" that's the problem with atheists: They can't think!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 06:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    So you would say that Christ lacked critical thinking skills?
    He definately lacked the knowledge to know how to implement his word. What with all the wars and stuff. After all he was supposed to be Gods son an all.
    The way christian priests carry on in his name to this day makes me nearly vomit. Did Jesus plan it this way? Did God?
    I see bhudda as being a better example, but hey ,nobody who is already christian would listen, and the people that know what I mean would already know what I mean๐Ÿ˜‰
  13. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 09:15
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Typical delusional reasoning is repeating something so often that it makes it true for the repeater. But hey, don't let me but in๐Ÿ™‚
    What, like repeating 'aliens built the pyramids' over and over? ๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 09:24
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    Today we know that the aliens of the pyramids were neither Jews nor slaves:
    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1262339442745
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 11:08
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    I dont know what Bosse is on about because I dont have the credit to look it up, but I will respond, dear Lord. Because I respect your skepticism so much.
    If you followed my line of reasoning, which I'm sure you did, you would know that in the end I conceded that "something strange was going on" in regards to the building of the pyramids and that it was not " fully explained" .I did not stick to my claim that aliens built it.

Sorry for being pedantic, it probably doesn't matter, but no one really likes being misrepresented.
    If you still really want the well refrenced book that I mentioned just ask and I will ring up for the title and author. But at this stage I'll just hang back-there are enough people sitting back waiting to shoot me down- from both sides of the fence. (Then again , I probably ask for it...)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree