How can a Good God send people to hell?

How can a Good God send people to hell?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
03 Sep 06

Originally posted by ckoh1965
The truth is that I don't know. I'm 41 yrs old, and so far God hasn't revealed himself to me. Maybe he's still working on it.

Are you suggesting that a person will do good deeds ONLY if he believes in God? Does one need something to motivate himself to do good deeds? Isn't it possible that a person is being a good person because he can figure out for him ...[text shortened]... o's rejecting us, right? He's the one who's locking the door to heaven on us, right?
The Bible says that if we seek God with all our heart we will find him.

I challange you:

Why not go on your knees for the next 3 weeks and pray that God reveals the truth to you?

I can present you with a scholar that has devoted the past 25 years of his life to studying all religions. He has come to the conclusion that there is only One that makes sense. Why not listen to some of his stuff. He also deals with questions that you have asked in a much better way than I can ever dream of.

http://www.rzim.org/radio/archives.php?p=LMPT&o=200&i=100

I will need some time to answer your questions in full as they have many different aspects to them.

Moves
03 Sep 06

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
You can have moral absolutes without someone to specify them, just like you can have absolute physical laws without someone specify them.

This was the point of my last post. Hence, your current objection doesn't work either.

Your last line also makes no sense. What you meant to say, perhaps, (but still fallaciously) was that "evalution of God's l ...[text shortened]... deity good or bad? Are they simply good or bad in virtue of the fact that He commands them?
Okay let's try to establish some kind of enrty point for our discussion...

Do you believe in atheistic evolution?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Sep 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
The Bible says that if we seek God with all our heart we will find him.

I challange you:

Why not go on your knees for the next 3 weeks and pray that God reveals the truth to you?

I can present you with a scholar that has devoted the past 25 years of his life to studying all religions. He has come to the conclusion that there is only One that mak ...[text shortened]... ill need some time to answer your questions in full as they have many different aspects to them.
How do you respond to say Visteads in our own forums who has spent much of his life studying various religions and languages and I believe has come to a completely different conclusion?

Moves
03 Sep 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
He may be able to find fellowship in nature. This may be a very meaningful thing to him. Who am I to negate this? He may find fellowship in an AA meeting and his "Higher Power" may be different from what you or I may have. Again, if iti is working, who am I to negate this?
In order to have some kind of meaningful discussion, why don't we start from scratch?

Do you believe that the Bible is the revelation of God to mankind? If not, what do you believe?

N

The sky

Moves
03 Sep 06
1 edit

God is just. I personally don't think that he would judge someone who is not responisble for his/her actions.
If I understand you correctly, you also say that it's impossible to be completely free of sin, no matter how hard we try ("all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Rom.3:23)). So if it's beyond our capabilities to be free of sin, how can we be responsible for not being so?

Moves
03 Sep 06
1 edit

How do you respond to say Visteads in our own forums who has spent much of his life studying various religions and languages and I believe has come to a completely different conclusion?
I believe that Ravi Zacharais is one of the best Christian oppolgists of our time. I would suggest that the two of them have a discussion.

It might interest him to listen to what Ravi has to say. Ravi, by the way, was born into a royal hindu priesthood.

I believe that Visteads can still have a change of mind.

c

Moves
03 Sep 06

He may be able to find fellowship in nature. This may be a very meaningful thing to him. Who am I to negate this? He may find fellowship in an AA meeting and his "Higher Power" may be different from what you or I may have. Again, if iti is working, who am I to negate this?
kirksey, if you are a religious person, then you are a rare breed! You have an open mind that is so scarce these days. Of course, if it is working, then "who am I to negate this?"

But the religious people in general are not satisfied, you see. No. They insist that you MUST go through their way (religion) to connect to God. If you didn't, then you have rejected God, and you shall be condemned to hell! It doesn't really matter that you have been a very good person throughout your life. All those would go to waste, because you'll end up in hell anyway. So the Christians would say that the only way to heaven is to embrace Christianity; whereas the Muslims would say that the only way to heaven is through Islam etc.

Moves
03 Sep 06

Originally posted by Nordlys
If I understand you correctly, you also say that it's impossible to be completely free of sin, no matter how hard we try ("all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Rom.3:23)). So if it's beyond our capabilities to be free of sin, how can we be responsible for not being so?
It is within our capability to accept the the fact that we are sinners, and that we cannot save ourselves, but that God has payed the price for our sins so that we can receive forgiveness for them and be justified once again through his son Jesus Christ.

Moves
03 Sep 06

kirksey, if you are a religious person, then you are a rare breed! You have an open mind that is so scarce these days. Of course, if it is working, then "who am I to negate this?"

But the religious people in general are not satisfied, you see. No. They insist that you MUST go through their way (religion) to connect to God. If you didn't, then you have r ...[text shortened]... ristianity; whereas the Muslims would say that the only way to heaven is through Islam etc.
It might interest you that all religions with exception to Christianity are logically inconsistent and philosophically undefendable at the core.

I refer you to Ravi Zacharias.

c

Moves
03 Sep 06

A very good point, kirksey. I'd like to add that I started out as a religious kid. I was born into a Christian family. So as you can imagine, I went through my early years doing the same routine of prayers, Sunday sermons etc. And yes, I have been on my knees many more times than the 3 dj recommended. Then the tragedy occurred! I grew up and began to ask questions. And I found the answers given to me becoming increasingly illogical -- at least illogical to me. That's why I said that it's so unfortunate that God gave me a brain that can analyse logically.

Besides, I'm also annoyed with the story of God putting us humans to the test. Why? Just to feel pleased with himself that we are at his mercy? That we must obey him? Why put that apple tree there in the first place if it's off-limits? Is he playing with us?

c

Moves
03 Sep 06

I believe that Ravi Zacharais is one of the best Christian oppolgists of our time. I would suggest that the two of them have a discussion.

It might interest him to listen to what Ravi has to say. Ravi, by the way, was born into a royal hindu priesthood.

I believe that Visteads can still have a change of mind.
Would you consider it a possibility that your scholar of 25 years might also change his mind about religions?

Moves
03 Sep 06

A very good point, kirksey. I'd like to add that I started out as a religious kid. I was born into a Christian family. So as you can imagine, I went through my early years doing the same routine of prayers, Sunday sermons etc. And yes, I have been on my knees many more times than the 3 dj recommended. Then the tragedy occurred! I grew up and began to ask qu ...[text shortened]... Why put that apple tree there in the first place if it's off-limits? Is he playing with us?
I believe that Satan does raise many questions in our minds to try and draw us away from the truth.

As he did in the form of a serpent, he came to Eve with a question.

I believe the website I gave you answers a lot of your questions. No offense. I have asked many questions myself, and received answers.

Have you looked at that website?

Moves
03 Sep 06

Would you consider it a possibility that your scholar of 25 years might also change his mind about religions?
Maybe if you listen to what he has to offer you will see for yourself that he need not change his mind.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Sep 06

It might interest you that all religions with exception to Christianity are logically inconsistent and philosophically undefendable at the core.

I refer you to Ravi Zacharias.
Is this a joke? Christianity is the epitome of logical inconsistency.

Moves
03 Sep 06
2 edits

Originally posted by rwingett
Is this a joke? Christianity is the epitome of logical inconsistency.
I suggest you listen to Ravi Zacharias explain it.