1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 12:10
    We have data from so many different disciplines like the ice core data or the magnetic reading of the spreading of the ocean floor between the US and Europe and South America and Africa, the magnetic lines read like a tape recording of the spreading.

Or Carbon dating, the scientists involved know exactly where that technique can be used and where it gives bad dates but YEC's ignore that completely and just poo poo the entire science.

It really blows my mind just how selective they are in their misuse of such data, how just those sciences that show an old Earth are now bogus yet other sciences with exactly the same scientific method used is for some reason fine and dandy with the YEC's.

Any science that doesn't intersect with dating the Earth is wonderful, like cancer research or mathematics (but not that math that supports an old Earth like the half life data and the math behind that, but the study of geometry is ok)

All that is so blind I don't see how they can talk with a straight face.
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 13:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Faith - the number one learning prophylactic.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 15:06
    We have data from so many different disciplines like the ice core data or the magnetic reading of the spreading of the ocean floor between the US and Europe and South America and Africa, the magnetic lines read like a tape recording of the spreading.

Or Carbon dating, the scientists involved know exactly where that technique can be used and where it give ...[text shortened]... of geometry is ok)

The thing is, if the earth is thousand of years old and you are seeing the
    data points you see! Then the only thing it really shows is that they do not
    mean what you think it all does.
    Kelly
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 15:381 edit
    As Kelly demonstrates, you can dismiss just about anything with the phrase "you could be wrong".
    I think it is next to impossible for someone with a good science education to genuinely believe in a young earth, but for someone who lacks a good science education, its a matter of taking your word for it (or the word of scientists), in which case it can be quite easy to dismiss it by saying "you could be wrong". After all, they already believe you are wrong about a lot of other things, such as the existence of God.
    Several posters on this forum realize that a good education invariably leads to a given conclusion and so they make sure that they do not receive a good education.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 15:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The thing is, if the earth is thousand of years old and you are seeing the
    data points you see! Then the only thing it really shows is that they do not
    mean what you think it all does.
    Kelly
    In other words, as an example, you undoubtedly know for a fact the America's are separating from Europe and Africa, right? So you go down under 2 miles of Atlantic ocean and you can see that spreading in action as we speak, cranking out about an inch a year or so.

Magma coming up through the mid Atlantic rifts, where the changes in Earth's magnetic field is recorded when the rock cools and that field is frozen inside the rock. The thing is, that spreading has been going on for literally millions of years where the flipping of Earth's magnetic field is faithfully recorded like the old magnetic tape recorders, you just take magnetometer readings in either direction away from the rifts and the magnetic field goes north, then further away, you find it turns to south, then further away again, back to magnetic north pole and so forth.

So what you would be inferring is the Earth was created with all that stuff being built in as if a world was made instantly with that design built in just to fool us stupid humans into thinking the Earth was older than it really is.

Is that the gist of your argument? Our planet was created 6000 odd years ago with all those features in place, like ice core data showing hundreds of thousands of years of yearly ice build ups, all that kind of thing, like tree ring data showing trees giving data going back at least 10,000 years and C14 dating, all of that, all the fossils, all the human remains, all the dinosaur bones, all put in place like a museum piece by your god, to what end, apparently just to screw with our heads when we stupid scientists start drawing conclusions about the age of the Earth?

If that is the case, why would we be worth all that effort? It wouldn't effect say, Dolphins, or Apes or any other life form on Earth, only confound mankind.

Is that your hypothesis, your god did it just to blow our minds? If so, why?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 18:35
    In other words, as an example, you undoubtedly know for a fact the America's are separating from Europe and Africa, right? So you go down under 2 miles of Atlantic ocean and you can see that spreading in action as we speak, cranking out about an inch a year or so.

Magma coming up through the mid Atlantic rifts, where the changes in Earth's magnetic fiel ...[text shortened]... nfound mankind.

Is that your hypothesis, your god did it just to blow our minds? If so, why?
    It is the effects of creation by God and the worldwide flood of Noah's time that many scientist of the old earth view continue to ignore. That is why they are in error.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 21:30

Or Carbon dating, the scientists involved know exactly where that technique can be used and where it give ...[text shortened]... of geometry is ok)

It is a weak faith that cannot mesh real data with scripture.

Butt-hurt atheists can call me "fundamentalist" all they want but they just ignore the fact that I have no problem reconciling a 4.5 billion-year-old Earth and Evolution with the Bible.

The left calls me "fundamentalist" and yet the religious right says that I "ignore" what the Bible says. No, I ignore what THEY SAY the Bible says.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 21:331 edit
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Faith - the number one learning prophylactic.
    This is patently not true.

Those of weak faith put their God into a tiny little box where He is only capable of a strict adherence to the words in the Bible and then they go on to say "anything is possible with God". They do not see that it is they who are limiting God to their own limited imaginations.

It is weak faith that limits learning.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 22:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is the effects of creation by God and the worldwide flood of Noah's time that many scientist of the old earth view continue to ignore. That is why they are in error.
    RJ, if you have 3 minutes available, listen to Bill Nye on the topic of the Flood.

YouTube
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 22:333 edits
    This former atheist joined the Creationist camp ( I think he is YEC). He's quite eloquent.
    But he says he is not out to defeat atheists in any kind of personal sense.

It is rather the world view which he is out to expose as false.
    His lecture here is called

"Defeating Atheism With Science " - Spike Psarris

YouTube
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 23:221 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It is weak faith that limits learning.
    On the contrary, it is because they "have a faith more akin to aircraft landing lights" that leads people to think that the world is only a few thousand years old.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 23:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You do know the difference between magma and water, right? Forgive me if I am wrong but silly me, I always assumed the flood fairy tale was talking about water. Yes, I am sure, it was all about water. There was no mention of magma coming up from the ocean and the record has been undisturbed for millions of years, the flipping of Earth's magnetic field faithfully recorded in the cooling rocks. That magma comes from many miles underneath the Earth seeping up through cracks and so forth, there was no flood interaction with the magma, it was the same going on 10 million years ago as it was 6000 years ago as it is today, the conveyor belt of magma has moved undisturbed for a long long time.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 00:211 edit
    You do know the difference between magma and water, right? Forgive me if I am wrong but silly me, I always assumed the flood fairy tale was talking about water. Yes, I am sure, it was all about water. There was no mention of magma coming up from the ocean and the record has been undisturbed for millions of years, the flipping of Earth's magnetic field faith ...[text shortened]... years ago as it is today, the conveyor belt of magma has moved undisturbed for a long long time.
    In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on the same day all the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened.

(Genesis 7:11 NASB)

We are given clues that something was happening under the water that covered the whole earth. There are scientists that speculate on what these activites were that cause mountains to rise and valleys to sink down.

He established the earth upon its foundations,
    So that it will not totter forever and ever.
    You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
    The waters were standing above the mountains.
    At Your rebuke they fled,
    At the sound of Your thunder they hurried away.
    The mountains rose; the valleys sank down
    To the place which You established for them.

You set a boundary that they may not pass over,
    So that they will not return to cover the earth.

(Psalm 104:5-9 NASB)
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 02:511 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    RJ, if you have 3 minutes available, listen to Bill Nye on the topic of the Flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0rCrkh_oA
    Bill Nye is apparently ignorant of the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption and the subsequent forming of the little grand canyon.

http://creationevangelismtools.org/resources/articles/mount-st-helens-and-the-global-flood/

Little Grand Canyon Formed in 1980

YouTube
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 04:20
    The biggest thing for YECers to overcome is the light travel time problem.

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree