How can YEC's ignore ALL the data of old Earth?

How can YEC's ignore ALL the data of old Earth?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by menace71
The biggest thing for YECers to overcome is the light travel time problem.

Manny
I am sure Jesus has that problem solved. We don't need to worry.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
On the contrary, it is because they "have a faith more akin to aircraft landing lights" that leads people to think that the world is only a few thousand years old.
On the contrary, I respectfully submit that you don't know what the hell you're talking about, having never experienced this faith yourself.

F

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
On the contrary, I respectfully submit that you don't know what the hell you're talking about, having never experienced this faith yourself.
I was a committed and active Christian for most of thirty years. You are deflecting from the fact that you claiming to have "a faith more akin to aircraft landing lights" means absolutely nothing, in and of itself, about the substance of your beliefs.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Oct 14

Butt-hurt atheists can call me "fundamentalist" all they want but they just ignore the fact that I have no problem reconciling a 4.5 billion-year-old Earth and Evolution with the Bible.
I have never ignored that fact. And you remain a fundamentalist in my book.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I have never ignored that fact. And you remain a fundamentalist in my book.
You apparently have your own special definition of what is a fundamentalist. Suzianne would probably consider me a fundamentalist because of my views on evolution and the young age of the earth. However, I consider myself a conservative Christian.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
In other words, as an example, you undoubtedly know for a fact the America's are separating from Europe and Africa, right? So you go down under 2 miles of Atlantic ocean and you can see that spreading in action as we speak, cranking out about an inch a year or so.

Magma coming up through the mid Atlantic rifts, where the changes in Earth's magnetic fiel ...[text shortened]... nfound mankind.

Is that your hypothesis, your god did it just to blow our minds? If so, why?
What I believe about the age of the earth I call faith not facts. The reason
I do that is because I know, I can be wrong! I don't have issue one with
that either, I admit I can be wrong. I have told you and others here that
it is very possible the universe is billions of years old, it would not change
anything with respect to my beliefs since they do not hinge on the earth
being very young or old.

My point to you was simple enough, if it is a young earth and universe than
all the data points you claim you cannot be wrong on, means you are with
out a doubt wrong about.

You cannot prove or disprove God here, it will always be faith. Personally,
I think the way the universe works together to support life shows it was
done with intent to pull that off, but again, faith.
Kelly

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by KellyJay
What I believe about the age of the earth I call faith not facts. The reason
I do that is because I know, I can be wrong! I don't have issue one with
that either, I admit I can be wrong. I have told you and others here that
it is very possible the universe is billions of years old, it would not change
anything with respect to my beliefs since they do no ...[text shortened]... gether to support life shows it was
done with intent to pull that off, but again, faith.
Kelly
We were not talking about God or god here, just the age of Earth.

I get the feeling you won't commit to an old Earth because you are so certain in your faith. It's funny that your god didn't say anything about the age of Earth and I think that is because those early writers didn't even think in those terms since your religion was just made by men, no deity needed.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
We were not talking about God or god here, just the age of Earth.

I get the feeling you won't commit to an old Earth because you are so certain in your faith. It's funny that your god didn't say anything about the age of Earth and I think that is because those early writers didn't even think in those terms since your religion was just made by men, no deity needed.
The earth can be calculated from information in the Holy Bible to be around 6,000 or so years. It certainly can't be billions of years old, if one accepts the clear reading of scripture. In fact, the earth may be a few years less than 6,000 years old.

PDI

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by KellyJay
Personally, I think the way the universe works together to support life shows it was done with intent to pull that off, but again, faith.
Are you willing to pray that the Lord will make this really clear to us people living in the 21st century? For instance, He could assure that space probes see good evidence for life on other planets/moons in our solar system. Or He could fortify radio signals coming from planets around other stars in the Milky Way, so that our large SETI antennae pick them up, and we realize there is intelligent life out there.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Oct 14

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
Are you willing to pray that the Lord will make this really clear to us people living in the 21st century? For instance, He could assure that space probes see good evidence for life on other planets/moons in our solar system. Or He could fortify radio signals coming from planets around other stars in the Milky Way, so that our large SETI antennae pick them up, and we realize there is intelligent life out there.
He means that God made the universe to work together to support life on earth. There is no life on other planets, so SETI is a waste of time and money.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I was a committed and active Christian for most of thirty years. You are deflecting from the fact that you claiming to have "a faith more akin to aircraft landing lights" means absolutely nothing, in and of itself, about the substance of your beliefs.
So you say. Means nothing to you, more like.

Clearly, if you lost your faith, it was, by definition, weak.

F

Moves
07 Oct 14

So you say. Means nothing to you, more like.
Dasa has "faith more akin to aircraft landing lights". It does not affect the plausibility of what he believes. I think we can agree on that, at least.

F

Moves
07 Oct 14

Clearly, if you lost your faith, it was, by definition, weak.
It was strong for many years. Then I started to have doubts and the more I approached my faith with an open and analytical mind, the weaker it became. Eventually, I realized that the strong faith that had sustained my Christian beliefs was no longer there to shore them up. You're right in so much as my faith went through a weak phase ~ 'weakening', would be more apt ~ after those decades of being strong and pervading everything I thought and did. Now, of course, it no longer exists, and what I am left with is a memory of what having strong religious faith is like and a perspective on what it's like to be free of its shackles.

PDI

Moves
07 Oct 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
He means that God made the universe to work together to support life on earth. There is no life on other planets, so SETI is a waste of time and money.
I am reminded that Nobel laureate Richard Feynman said of that kind of thinking, "The stage is too big for the drama."

http://beinghuman.blogs.fi/2011/06/12/the-stage-is-too-big-for-the-drama-or-the-very-best-bits-from-richard-feynman-11304272/

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
It was strong for many years. Then I started to have doubts and the more I approached my faith with an open and analytical mind, the weaker it became. Eventually, I realized that the strong faith that had sustained my Christian beliefs was no longer there to shore them up. You're right in so much as my faith went through a weak phase ~ 'weakening', would be more ...[text shortened]... g strong religious faith is like and a perspective on what it's like to be free of its shackles.
Then you have no reason not to take the mark of the beast so you can buy and sell.