1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 08:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We were not talking about God or god here, just the age of Earth.

I get the feeling you won't commit to an old Earth because you are so certain in your faith. It's funny that your god didn't say anything about the age of Earth and I think that is because those early writers didn't even think in those terms since your religion was just made by men, no deity needed.
    Well, we are talking about the age of the earth and how it got here has
    a lot to do with how we should look at it. If no God is required, *why you
    think that I've no idea* than you have to have some cause, so what is it?
    If God is the cause, than nothing you look at can really tell you the age
    since God can pretty much do the supernatural and your opinions could
    be all wrong.
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 09:27
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well, we are talking about the age of the earth and how it got here has
    a lot to do with how we should look at it. If no God is required, *why you
    think that I've no idea* than you have to have some cause, so what is it?
    If God is the cause, than nothing you look at can really tell you the age
    since God can pretty much do the supernatural and your opinions could
    be all wrong.
    Kelly
    The cause of earth's existence would be accretion of gaseous matter from the solar nebulae. If you don't understand exactly what that means I highly recommend you google: "formation of earth", or something similar. There will be some potthead pages there with silly arguments like: "we weren't there so we can't know", but I'm sure you'll also find more scientific approaches to this question of how earth formed.

Glad to help. 🙂
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 11:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    He means that God made the universe to work together to support life on earth. There is no life on other planets, so SETI is a waste of time and money.
    When life IS discovered on other planets, if you are still alive, you will rationalize that away just like you rationalize everything else in your absurd claims.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 14:42
    Originally posted by C Hess
    The cause of earth's existence would be accretion of gaseous matter from the solar nebulae. If you don't understand exactly what that means I highly recommend you google: "formation of earth", or something similar. There will be some potthead pages there with silly arguments like: "we weren't there so we can't know", but I'm sure you'll also find more scientific approaches to this question of how earth formed.

Glad to help. 🙂
    No, again...you assume so much. It is a very old argument that if you find
    an old working watch in the forest, would you assume all the gears in it that
    all worked together just grew together over time, or that someone made it?

You and I would assume someone made it not because of the watch, but
    due to we know people make them, without looking at the how the watch
    worked together. You see a universe that works together very well tuned
    just so life can be here, when just a small change in any of several areas
    would make that impossible.

So did it all just form over time, or was it all done at once? You assume due
    to some parts are moving at various rates and are so far away from one
    another that the answer has to be formed over time, when distance and
    rates do not address time in existence, they only show distance and rates!
    They could have been put there as is, it doesn't have to means that it all
    started in the middle some where and shot out from one place.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 14:43
    Originally posted by C Hess

Glad to help. 🙂
    I'm sure, you should read Genesis the first few chapters, I'm sure it would
    help too, you know find something that supports my belief to read as you
    are asking me to do with your beliefs.
    Kelly
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 15:47
    Kelly
    That book was written by men who knew zero about science. A god could have started the universe ticking but there are too many examples of stars undergoing planet making and with millions of examples, we see stars just staring out with dust clouds around them and others with dust clouds with tight knots in them and thinner clouds where protoplanets are forming and then of course fully formed solar systems with literally hundreds of planets sussed out already and more coming by the week.

That is good enough evidence for anyone with a scientific bent to say with some confidence our Earth was formed the same way. Earth has giant craters just like the moon, but the moon has no weather so the craters formed there don't get buried like the Chicxulub crater in the Yucatan. That crater sent debris as far away as Burmuda where the debris field there is 700 feet deep, directly attributed to that asteroid impact. There is nothing in the bible about such occurrences, and it was real. There are a lot of such impacts on Earth and to assume they came in the last 6000 years is absurd. If you look at the Moon, those impacts would have had to have happened in the last 6000 years also and if so, the moon would still be red hot because of the extreme energy involved. We know for a fact humans can walk on the moon since a dozen men already have and it would therefore just on that evidence alone show it took a LOT longer than 6000 years to cool and if those impacts happened only in the last few thousand years, there should be impacts going on daily or monthly at least and we see maybe one every 500 years or so.

It just doesn't add up for a 6000 year old Earth.
  7. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 19:372 edits
    No, again...you assume so much. It is a very old argument that if you find
    an old working watch in the forest, would you assume all the gears in it that
    all worked together just grew together over time, or that someone made it?

You and I would assume someone made it not because of the watch, but
    due to we know people make them, without looking at the ...[text shortened]... have to means that it all
    started in the middle some where and shot out from one place.
    Kelly
    The problem with the watch analogy is that the universe is far too chaotic and random to be compared to a watch. Just look at planet orbits. They go here and there and all over the place. Now, if the planets orbited the sun in exact repeating paths, without deviations, you might have convinced me.

If there's an intelligence behind this universe I can only conclude that it must be a toddler of some kind.
  8. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 19:40
    Kelly
    The difference being that my "beliefs" conform to observed reality.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 19:43
    When life IS discovered on other planets, if you are still alive, you will rationalize that away just like you rationalize everything else in your absurd claims.
    Another lie of the devil.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 19:48
    That book was written by men who knew zero about science. A god could have started the universe ticking but there are too many examples of stars undergoing planet making and with millions of examples, we see stars just staring out with dust clouds around them and others with dust clouds with tight knots in them and thinner clouds where protoplanets are form ...[text shortened]... nd we see maybe one every 500 years or so.

Your problem is that you do not have faith that God could do it all in 6 days.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 20:031 edit
    Your problem is that you do not have faith that God could do it all in 6 days.
    That is an understatement. Considering your bible was written by men with no help from any god. It also is only MEN who say Earth is 6K years old. It is just proof the timelines in the bible are totally bogus.

It's not MY problem, it is YOUR problem that you cannot see reality when you look at it. You look at the Grand Canyon and go, wow, all that in 6000 years. Your head is screwed on backwards and upsidedown.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 21:04
    That is an understatement. Considering your bible was written by men with no help from any god. It also is only MEN who say Earth is 6K years old. It is just proof the timelines in the bible are totally bogus.

It's not MY problem, it is YOUR problem that you cannot see reality when you look at it. You look at the Grand Canyon and go, wow, all that in 6000 years. Your head is screwed on backwards and upsidedown.
    It will be your problem at the judgment, when you will need an excuse for why you should not be thrown in the lake of fire and brimstone. What will it be?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 21:23
    It will be your problem at the judgment, when you will need an excuse for why you should not be thrown in the lake of fire and brimstone. What will it be?
    All your BS tales mean nothing to me. YOU are the one living in fantasy land, I am living in the real world.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Oct '14 00:061 edit
    All your BS tales mean nothing to me. YOU are the one living in fantasy land, I am living in the real world.
    We both live in the real world. However, you believe in the fairy tale of evolution and billions of years of earth's history, whereas, I believe in creation by God and 6 thousand years of earth's history.

http://thetruthwins.com/archives/44-reasons-why-evolution-is-just-a-fairy-tale-for-adults
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '14 02:16
    That book was written by men who knew zero about science. A god could have started the universe ticking but there are too many examples of stars undergoing planet making and with millions of examples, we see stars just staring out with dust clouds around them and others with dust clouds with tight knots in them and thinner clouds where protoplanets are form ...[text shortened]... nd we see maybe one every 500 years or so.

True they knew nothing of science, except they did know God which in my
    opinion trumps man's science hands down since God put together the
    universe men study. You see stars, you have best guesses where they came
    from, you see dust, you see a million things, and all you can do is take your
    best shot at telling everyone where it all comes from, you do not know.

The trouble with you is that you don't think you can be wrong, it is just
    as true as true can be, because you believe your evidence means just what
    you say it does.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree