4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:28
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm all for freedom from religion.

No joke.
    You mean for other people since you think you would have a bigger slice of heaven?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    How many here want freedom FROM religion as opposed to freedom OF religion?
    Describe what "freedom FROM religion" would be like in practical terms - including what restrictions such a "freedom" would place upon religionists.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:311 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Surely you can have both?
    It'd be nice, but it's not going to happen, human nature being what it is.

I live in a secular country, where people have complete freedom of religion, and you still can't escape it. On one hand, the rednecks who can't tolerate anything they didn't grow up with, who think the appearance of a mosque indicates that the country has been invaded by terrorists. On the other, the misfits who jump on any bandwagon that will get them the attention they think they deserve, which includes all sorts of weirdo religious cults and also a lot of new age style stuff like astrology and psychics.

I don't care what superstitious nonsense people believe, so long as they stay out of my face and don't try interfering with the way I live my life. And the next time someone offers to pray for me I swear I'll become violent.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:33
    I definitely want freedom from religion. I know my only hope of this is in Jesus Christ.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:36
    You mean for other people since you think you would have a bigger slice of heaven?
    I mean for everyone.

I'll be gettin' in by the skin of my teeth old man. 😀
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:371 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie

I live in a secular country, where people have complete freedom of religion, and you still can't escape it. On one hand, the rednecks who can't tolerate anything they didn't grow up with, who think the appearance of a mosque indicates that the country has been invaded by terrorist e my life. And the next time someone offers to pray for me I swear I'll become violent.
    "It'd be nice, but it's not going to happen, human nature being what it is."

That hits the nail on the head!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:38
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I definitely want freedom from religion. I know my only hope of this is in Jesus Christ.
    You cannot be serious, as John used to say. You are so deeply embedded in religion you can't wake up and smell the roses any more.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:42
    sonhouse, you think because you don't believe in God you're not religious.

But you are.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:43
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"It'd be nice, but it's not going to happen, human nature being what it is."

That hits the nail on the head![/b]
    So you think freedom from religion would be nice? That's what you just said, effectively.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:48
    As opposed to freedom OF religion?
    i want freedom from ideology as opposed to freedom of ideology.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:502 edits

I live in a secular country, where people have complete freedom of religion, and you still can't escape it. On one hand, the rednecks who can't tolerate anything they didn't grow up with, who think the appearance of a mosque indicates that the country has been invaded by terrorist e my life. And the next time someone offers to pray for me I swear I'll become violent.
    But what about when your kids are ready for HS and they find they have to listen to creationism being taught along side evolution in a science class as if it were a viable scientific alternative?

Or doctors not telling female patients about various forms of birth control because it is against HIS religion?

What about people who are caught up in some religion and decide to quit and then get ostracised or excommunicated or getting killed for apostasy?

What about being in a place like Utah where you had better be Mormon if you intend to get ahead there?

What about proselytizers coming to your door and trying their best to convert you to whatever whack job religion it is that they feel the need to go door to door like vacuum cleaner salesmen?

What about walking down the street only to be greeted by a person behind a pulpit brandishing a bullhorn and exhorting the population to accept christ before it's too late? (That actually happened to me last weekend in Allentown Pa)

What about people coming up to you and saying 'did you ever burn your finger?"

Well that's what it's like in hell only all over your whole body for ever and ever"

"Come to our tent meeting friday night and we will save you from all that'.

That also happened to me in Florida.

What about being a child and you find yourself attending a Lutheran church/school and your grandmother telling you at the age of 8 you will be damned to hell unless you get baptized the PENTACOSTAL way?

That also happened to me.

Does that give you a hint as to why I want freedom FROM religion?

Religion is the scourge of mankind.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:53
    So you think freedom from religion would be nice? That's what you just said, effectively.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Religion is a scourge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree