How many non-chritian non-atheists are there on...

How many non-chritian non-atheists are there on...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Not "more" in the sense of "greater" or "more important". Every task, every responsibility, every job has a dignity of its own.
So the duties of Cardinal Law's houskeepers are just as important as the Pope's duties?

l

London

Moves
19 Dec 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
So the duties of Cardinal Law's houskeepers are just as important as the Pope's duties?
"Important" in what sense?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Dec 05

"Important" in what sense?
In the sense you had in mind when you said "more important."

l

London

Moves
19 Dec 05
1 edit

In the sense you had in mind when you said "more important."
Then, yes.

EDIT: I used "greater"/"more important" in the sense of having greater intrinsic dignity.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Dec 05

Then, yes.
That's quite a claim. I doubt many Catholics would agree with you.

l

London

Moves
19 Dec 05

That's quite a claim. I doubt many Catholics would agree with you.
The Pope would.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Dec 05

I used "greater"/"more important" in the sense of having greater intrinsic dignity.
No you didn't. Import has nothing to do with dignity. If that's what you meant, you would have said "having more dignity." You just made that up to patch up your position.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Dec 05

The Pope would.
Would the housekeepers?

l

London

Moves
19 Dec 05

No you didn't. Import has nothing to do with dignity. If that's what you meant, you would have said "having more dignity." You just made that up to patch up your position.
Yes I did - read the sentence following my first use of "more important".

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Dec 05

Yes I did - read the sentence following my first use of "more important".
Why would you introduce the term "important" at all, if you were only discussing dignity?

l

London

Moves
19 Dec 05

Would the housekeepers?
If they've had philosophical or theological training, they would. Otherwise, they may or may not.

l

London

Moves
19 Dec 05

Why would you introduce the term "important" at all, if you were only discussing dignity?
Because the idea of importance is related to the idea of dignity in common usage. And dignity is ultimately at the root of this discussion.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Dec 05
2 edits

And dignity is ultimately at the root of this discussion.
It sure is.

Cardinal Law, a man known to turn child molesters loose on various congregations, but a man nonetheless, is entitled to have women clean his toilet. Are those women entitled to have a man clean their toilets? I doubt it. How many women in the church are entitled to a car and driver? As you said, the sexes have different duties in the church. I suppose I'll have to take your word that those nuns on their knees, brush in hand, with the scent of urine wafting up through their holy nostrils, have just as much dignity as the Pope being cheered by huge crowds in Vatican Square and flossing around in the popemobile - and that if any don't, it's only because of their philosophical and theological shortcomings.

TM

Moves
19 Dec 05
1 edit

I do not think you can keep denying the fact that the church is sexist. Its not like say the existance of god that really could go either way but we have diffrent veiws, it is rooted in fact that the church is sexist, i know you will keep trying to defend it but when it comes down to it im sure it is clear to most that the church is. I can understand you are defending it as it is a very important orgainisation in your eyes. But because it is so improtant does this mean it is without fault?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I'm neither Christian nor atheist.
You just left 'em twisting in the wind about 5 pages back, didn'tcha?