1. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 07:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Could anyone enlighten me? What exactly do you get saved from once you have found the way?
    Sin.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 08:13
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Sin.
    So if you are baptized or believe in God or profess to believe in him or whatever the special technique is, then you no longer sin? Or is sin an entity or something?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:231 edit
    So if you are baptized or believe in God or profess to believe in him or whatever the special technique is, then you no longer sin? Or is sin an entity or something?
    Christ said that he that sins becomes a slave of sin. However, he came to set us free from such sin. Now does this mean that the believer never sins? No, however, we need not continue in such or habitually practice such sin if Christ can set us free. I can also personally attest that sinning by in large looses its appeal. Sins that once seemed "fun" later make you miserable once Christ has come and changed you from within. There is nothing more miserable than a backslidden Christian.

Also, as I said before, faith is what God is after. In effect, faith is simply agreeing with his perfect will, whatever that may be. We become righteous once we begin to walk in the righteousness of God or walking in his perfect will.

So what is his perfect will? If you believe the Bible is God's way of speaking to fallen man, then his perfect will is for us to place our faith in the sacrifice of Christ so that he may wash us of our sins and deliever us from our sins.
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:40
    You are forgiven for all your past sins as you lead a christian life thereafter...
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    Christ said that he that sins becomes a slave of sin. However, he came to set us free from such sin. Now does this mean that the believer never sins? No, however, we need not continue in such or habitually practice such sin if Christ can set us free. I can also personally attest that sinning by in large looses its appeal. Sins that once seemed "fun" late ...[text shortened]... in the sacrifice of Christ so that he may wash us of our sins and deliever us from our sins.
    Well said!
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:51
    Christ said that he that sins becomes a slave of sin. However, he came to set us free from such sin. Now does this mean that the believer never sins? No, however, we need not continue in such or habitually practice such sin if Christ can set us free. I can also personally attest that sinning by in large looses its appeal. Sins that once seemed "fun" late ...[text shortened]... in the sacrifice of Christ so that he may wash us of our sins and deliever us from our sins.
    I still don't understand. I thought sin was simply 'disobeying God' or 'going against Gods will'. Now we are 'slaves to sin' and need to be 'delivered from sin' etc etc.
    Why all the complicated language when what you really mean is 'God wants you to do what you are told'. Why spend a whole thread discussing how to be 'saved' when what you really mean is 'how do I do what God tells me'?
    Why is it that whenever I ask a Christian what he really means by something, it turns out that he is talking about something totally different from what I first thought? Why cant you simply use plain English in the first place?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:52
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    You are forgiven for all your past sins as you lead a christian life thereafter...
    Are you telling me that a Christian life is sin free? I thought that was impossible.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 16:19
    Are you telling me that a Christian life is sin free? I thought that was impossible.
    You are forgiven for Past ....PAST sins.... when you sin after that then the Christian has to recognise they have sinned and ask forgiveness!
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 16:20
    I still don't understand. I thought sin was simply 'disobeying God' or 'going against Gods will'. Now we are 'slaves to sin' and need to be 'delivered from sin' etc etc.
    Why all the complicated language when what you really mean is 'God wants you to do what you are told'. Why spend a whole thread discussing how to be 'saved' when what you really mean is ...[text shortened]... m what I first thought? Why cant you simply use plain English in the first place?
    Saved is just a term for "I will try and do what God tells me!"
  10. The sky
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 18:36
    I guess it would only be conventient for believers, no?
    Obviously.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 18:43
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Sorry, but this simple mind doesn't understand your point.
    Some Christian fundamentalists interpret that verse as a licence to do whatever they want as long as they are believers. It's convenient because you don't have to make an effort to be saved.
  12. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 18:50
    Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
    Has anyone ever herd that you have to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus and then get the holly ghost to be saved? according to the bible?? These were the scriptures given John 3.5 matt 28.19 Acts2.36-39. Just trying to get some input on this? Maybe see what u bible guys have to say on this thanks 🙂 Kevin
    I don't know where you heard this but some sects like the Church of Christ (USA and UK) use this as a teaching but misinterpret scripture.
  13. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 21:26
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I don't know where you heard this but some sects like the Church of Christ (USA and UK) use this as a teaching but misinterpret scripture.
    Enlighten us all on what God really meant.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 21:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    It's simple, and easy.

Romans 10:9
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
    The Mormons are in after all!
  15. Illinois
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 22:00
    Why all the complicated language when what you really mean is 'God wants you to do what you are told'. Why spend a whole thread discussing how to be 'saved' when what you really mean is ...[text shortened]... m what I first thought? Why cant you simply use plain English in the first place?
    The reason for your confusion is that the bible uses the word "sin" in two different ways. The act of transgression is "sin" (lower case), and the power of sin active in the flesh is "Sin" (upper case). Through a person's faith in Jesus Christ God forgives every act of transgression (sin) - past, present, and future - and also delivers that person from the power of Sin (the fallen nature).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree