Human Rights in Islamic Countries

Human Rights in Islamic Countries

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
26 May 09
2 edits

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
After [the peaceful political protesters'] performance the police, particularly the anti-terrorist unit Detachment-88, detained all 22 of them. They were not granted access to legal representation and held incommunicado. They were beaten, forced to crawl on their stomachs over hot asphalt, whipped with an electric cable and had billiard balls forced into their mouths. etc.
(Six pages later. No answer yet. Once again: )

Come on. Answer the question. What does Detachment-88 have to do with Islam? And how does its actions and purposes differ in any significant way from what we also see in places like Colombia, Myanmar, Gaza, North Korea, Zimbabwe?

Why pick upon Detachment-88 and attribute its activity to Islam?

Are you aware of the flashpoint nature of 'separatism' in Indonesia. What process has enabled you to discount that as the issue at hand when Detachment-88 is doing its thing, and instead deduce that it is "Islam" that explains it?

And what about the irony I mentioned: Detachment-88 anti-terrorist squad being trained and equipped by the U.S.?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
(Six pages later. No answer yet. Once again: )

Come on. Answer the question. What does Detachment-88 have to do with Islam?

Why pick upon Detachment-88 and attribute its activity to Islam?
Strawmen don't speak.

F

Moves
26 May 09

Strawmen don't speak.
How cute.

You start a thread about human rights is Islamic countries and cite Detachment-88 as an example of a problem with Islam in Indonesia. How do you figure that then?

s

Moves
26 May 09
4 edits

hello,
I think one should put aside his prejudices and passions before trying to debate..otherwise I don't see any point for a discussion to take place, since starting from a preconceived idea we ends up with a preconceived judgment.

DoctorScribbles, your explicit hate of islam blinds you and spoils your pondering capacities, and your exchange with FMF shows it.
The link you are making between human rights violations or violence and islam is simply inexistent and you did not succeed to give any argument supporting your claims !

Should we remind you how was the situation of human rights in the so called 'great democracies' (US for example) only some years ago? were they muslims ?
and should we remind you how was the situation of human rights in medieval europe ? while the east and the real islamic civilization was enlightening the World ?

There are a lot of countries were the human rights are not respected...but surely the muslim countries (ie. coutries where the majority of citizens are muslims) are not the worst of them !
and one has to be able to distinguish between politics and religion..

ps.
what is this amazing question : "Do you think belief in Islam is epistemically justifiable?"
do you think your way of thinking (and truth acquisition) is epistemically justifiable?
by the way, do you know what epistemology is all about ?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 May 09
3 edits

Originally posted by sofiane
do you know what epistemology is all about ?
Now how could I come to know something like that, or anything really?

Do you think belief in Islam is epistemically justifiable?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you know Scherzo, you have my utmost sympathy, and i do not mean that in any type of derogatory on condescending way, for to be sure, peer pressure in Islam as in other religions is very great indeed.

People i do not think realize this. if you were to leave or decide that you were atheist or something else, you run the risk of alienating your e ...[text shortened]... hard work. If God sees fit to have mercy upon on because of our good heart, then it is a bonus!
People i do not think realize this. if you were to leave or decide that you were atheist or something else, you run the risk of alienating your entire family and your entire community, childhood friends etc etc i have seen it happen my friend.

My family's actually Christian. Except my kids.

look what these denominations have done in Islam my friend! has anything good come from them? we are Sunni, we are Shia, we are Wahabi, and like Christianity, Islam stands divided, is it not the case?

Unfortunately yes. I hope that someday the Sunnis realize that only God and the People are great. As for the Wahhabis ... they're too far gone to be helped. Fortunately, there's not too many.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
26 May 09

Are you willing to tell this forum that laws governing homosexuality should be based on the Koran?
The Qur'an says little about sexual orientation.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
26 May 09

you should love your wife as your own body, feed her and cherish her!
I do. I hope I never implied otherwise. 🙂

s

At the Revolution

Moves
26 May 09

Dude are you also a Muslim? if so, what do you think about these ideas of denomination, Shia, Wahabi, Sunni etc etc. have they not caused untold misery and pain? as in Christendom, with Catholics and Protestants etc etc.
Wahhabists are normally Sunni. Just so you know. 🙂

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 May 09

Originally posted by scherzo
The Qur'an says little about sexual orientation.
Are you willing to tell this forum that laws governing homosexuality should be based on the Koran?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
26 May 09

I do. I hope I never implied otherwise. 🙂
Does the Koren assert that, in some circumstances, a husband ought to beat his wife to correct her disobedience?

Do you believe the Koran's assertions to be true?

F

Moves
27 May 09

Strawmen don't speak.
Come on my little Global Hegemony Warrior of Five Years Standing.

You start a thread about human rights in Islamic countries and then you bring up Detachment-88 in Indonesia and, bafflingly, attribute its purpose and activity to Islam rather than anti-separatist strong-arm statism.

Are you going to expand upon this? Or are you done with your little dishonest smear & hide routine?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
28 May 09

Does the Koren assert that, in some circumstances, a husband ought to beat his wife to correct her disobedience?

Do you believe the Koran's assertions to be true?
The Qur'an states that husbands have the right to beat unfaithful wives in one verse. I don't follow that one personally. And the Bible has far more antifeminism.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
28 May 09

No.

They should not be killed like the Old Testament and Qur'an say.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
28 May 09
1 edit

No.

They should not be killed like the Old Testament and Qur'an say.
But isn't the Koran the veritable word of Allah himself? Do you know better than Allah how homosexuals ought to be treated?