1. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 19:16
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    well, there are far too many interpretations and variations. we might have to generalise a bit. stick em all in a little mental venn diagram and base your answer on the god of the overlap.
    I would probably do whatever I thought was best for me. I don't think I would worship the God of the OT without some sort of motivation.
    The God of the NT seems a lot nicer, but his description is in sharp contrast to the God of the OT (which the NT does not deny is the same God) and with reality.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 19:48
    as long as he's okay with pretending not to know that im pretending like him. otherwise it would be a pretty awkward eternity.

seriously though, does god require that his believers like him?
    Yes. It is referred to as the first/greatest commandment. I guess that might disqualify you
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 19:48
    [b]"and a very
    stupid one since any new piece of information may cause all they think
    they know could come into question."

kelly, any new information can change any situation....does that mean we should not believe anything as fact??? does this mean following your logic that we should just get rid of the word 'fact'??? under what conditions do you believe something can be called a 'fact'?[/b]
    You can change situations by altering the situations, but facts if they are
    facts will be what they are unlike opinions, theories, guesses, and things
    along that matter. If it is all just between our ears it isn't a fact.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 19:54
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    It is a fact that the earth is not thousands of yrs old. That has nothing to do with faith.

Even if you believe the Bible and take the creation account literally you have to take account of God saying to Adam to replenish the Earth. That means there were other civilizations and occupatants in other previous creations. You do not know how many there were prior to mankind.
    As far as I know the KJV uses the word "replenish" I've not seen it in other
    translations. Now one of the reasons I don't completely buy into the 7K is
    that I do believe there is room for doubt.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 19:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Name me something (outside the realm of mathematics and logic) that you think is a fact and I'm betting that I can have a good shot at arguing, by your logic, that it isn't a fact.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 20:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would probably do whatever I thought was best for me. I don't think I would worship the God of the OT without some sort of motivation.
    The God of the NT seems a lot nicer, but his description is in sharp contrast to the God of the OT (which the NT does not deny is the same God) and with reality.
    Actually the NT god is arguably a different one. In the OT there was one God. In the NT there are three, which are all the same God. In the old pagan religion there were three top Gods, Odin/Wodin, Frigge/Freyja(=lady), and Freyr/Yngvi (=lord). Wodin was the Thorn god, Jesus had a crown of thorns. Wodin was hanged from the World Tree for nine days (thrice three) as a sacrifice to himself, his liver was pierced by a spear. After nine days he returned from the land of the dead having learned 18 spells. Jesus was hanged from a cross and rose in three days also as a divine sacrifice, and also his side was hit with a spear (this is evidence of ascites associated with the liver). Jesus came back from the dead as well. Clearly there are also differences, Christianity had other influence like Mithras, and the Roman and Greek pantheons, as well as the origin in Judaism. But the OT and NT Gods are quite different.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 20:09
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Yes. It is referred to as the first/greatest commandment. I guess that might disqualify you
    And what happens if you don't obey commandments?
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 20:10
    Kelly
    how do we know when a fact is a fact? what if there are unknown variables that we do not know we do not know? so once again i ask, how do you decide when a fact is a fact?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 20:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And what happens if you don't obey commandments?
    Jesus Christ the righteous judge decides who is obedient and who is not, and accepts into life, or condemns to death as he sees fit. I cannot answer further than that.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 20:55
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Name me something (outside the realm of mathematics and logic) that you think is a fact and I'm betting that I can have a good shot at arguing, by your logic, that it isn't a fact.
    At this moment I'm using my laptop to type this message.
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 20:58
    Kelly
    what moment? thats far from a factual statement.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 21:02
    how do we know when a fact is a fact? what if there are unknown variables that we do not know we do not know? so once again i ask, how do you decide when a fact is a fact?
    Well that is the rub isn't it, if the universe is 15 billion years old, or some
    other number 7 thousand years old, it is what it is. We may believe its 14
    billion then later change due to something else, then change to something
    else, when something else comes along we change our minds again. If as
    I said it is in our minds, then our thinking could be stinking as an old friend
    of mine used to say.
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 21:02
    what moment? thats far from a factual statement.
    I guess you need to focus on what I said. I gave you the moment you
    missed it.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 21:062 edits
    Kelly
    How do you know it's your laptop? Have you been watching it every second of every day, never taking your eye off it for even a split second in case someone else replaced it with an identical looking (and behaving) laptop!???

Hell what if your recollection of it being yours is in error!? what if someone only lent it to you and you still think to this day you actually bought it!???
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 21:22
    I guess you need to focus on what I said. I gave you the moment you
    missed it.
    Kelly
    no, im correct in my statement. which moment? you used the word moment, the word moment does not describe a specific time. for example, were you referring to the moment you began to type, the moment you finished typing, the time from start to finish, the time as you perceived it in your mind (which is slightly delayed from real-time) or did you mean the unperceived real time.........what time did you actually mean by the word 'moment'.

as i pointed out simply saying 'the moment i did x' is far from factual.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree