I just can't get over it...

I just can't get over it...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
22 Jan 07
3 edits

Many children were born in Bethlehem, coincidence is a wonderful thing.

Many children were born in Bethlehem. True.

Name one other child born in Bethlehem who in three and one half years of his or her life made as powerful an impact on human history as Jesus Who was born in Bethlehem.

You're not getting off to a very good start. The issue is not whether or not other children were born in that city. The issue is how many other children born there manifested such wisdom and moral power as Jesus, not to mention miracles and resurrection from the dead.

Since the gospels were written decades after the death of Christ and were also clearly written by prejudiced people and not independent sources, it is far more probable that this was all concocted to fulfil a prophesy in hindsight of events.

Does prejudice necessarily make that which is reported incorrect? No it does not.

If Fact A is a Fact and B is not a Fact, proponent of A being prejudiced does not make Fact A not a Fact, necessarily.

That's as wild of a guess as me assuming that you did not really write that post. Rather I have a conspiracy theory that someone else came into the room and wrote it under your id.

And ten years afterwards seems a long time to you? Can you remember where you were when news of the Twin Towers being destroyed came to you?

I can remember exactly where I was when I heard that Kennedy had been killed. That was much longer than ten years ago. Why does it seem hard to you that someone of something of great impact on a person would NOT be forgotten in ten years so as to have to fabricate embellishments?

Maybe you are projecting. Maybe you are not telling me so much about the disciple's thinking as about your own way of imagining conspiracy theories.

What prey tell had such a power to prejudice them so thoroughly? They gave their lives up in many cases.

What was the powerful motivating factor that influenced them to choose torture and death in the name of Jesus to a more comfortable life? And why did they invent such a character in the first place?

Critical thinking should provide a motive and incentive for some Galilean fishermen imagining such a person as Jesus and making up prophecies to hoodwink the world for generations after them.

Was money a motive? Was political power a motive? Was personal fame a motive? Which one of the disciples died a rich man? Which one died a great political or even religious power figure?

What was the motive for the invention of prophecies to be fulfilled

[critical thinking] I have no idea what Micah chapter 5 is or how it relates to Jesus, so I cannot answer that. However, it seems to me that Christian apologists are probably a massively more prevalent thing than the existence of the supernatural... [/critical thinking]

If you are ignorant of what is in the Bible then critical thinking would spend some time to read it.

I can't take you seriously as a critical thinker about the veracity of the Bible if you're too lazy to read it.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
22 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]Many children were born in Bethlehem, coincidence is a wonderful thing.

Many children were born in Bethlehem. True.

Name one other child born in Bethlehem who in three and one half years of his or her life made as powerful an impact on human history as Jesus Who was born in Bethlehem.

You're not getting off to a very good start iously as a critical thinker about the veracity of the Bible if you're too lazy to read it.[/b]

What miracles had Jesus performed at 3 and a half?

You're not getting off to a very good start. The issue is not whether or not other children were born in that city. The issue is how many other children born there manifested such wisdom and moral power as Jesus, not to mention miracles and resurrection from the dead.

You're assuming that everything you read about Jesus is true.

Does prejudice necessarily make that which is reported incorrect? No it does not.

You're kidding right? If I am a rabid anti-Semite I would probably write a rather biased account of WW2.

Also prey tell? You're an idiot.

S

Moves
22 Jan 07

Every single aspect of your post presupposes the existence of Jesus as the son of god, so I'll try and take you slowly through it, for fear of you getting dizzy on the circularity of your reasoning.

That Jesus made an impact (3.5 years?) is clear, since Christianity is a big thing, but the existence of Christianity is not evidence that Jesus was the son of god.

All of this is reported only as true thanks to the bible, a work which came decades after the death of Jesus. You accept as true without question the verity of the bible and as such the actions of Jesus because you believe the bible was written by god. This is circular and renders your argument inert.

No, but the more parsimonious view is clearly that humans wrote the bible to big up a small time cult leader who was clearly mortal.

If Fact A is a Fact and B is not a Fact, proponent of A being prejudiced does not make Fact A not a Fact, necessarily.

This is gibberish and I can make head nor tail of it.

That's as wild of a guess as me assuming that you did not really write that post. Rather I have a conspiracy theory that someone else came into the room and wrote it under your id.

Not at all, read up on parsimony, Occam's Razor, probability etc.

And ten years afterwards seems a long time to you? Can you remember where you were when news of the Twin Towers being destroyed came to you?

That's completely off topic and utterly beside the point. The amount of time is not my concern, that it was written after his death is.

I can remember exactly where I was when I heard that Kennedy had been killed. That was much longer than ten years ago. Why does it seem hard to you that someone of something of great impact on a person would NOT be forgotten in ten years so as to have to fabricate embellishments?

See above. But also, if you are claiming that perception of events does not fade with time, you are clearly wrong.

Maybe you are projecting. Maybe you are not telling me so much about the disciple's thinking as about your own way of imagining conspiracy theories.

Conspiracy theories? What? Do try and stay on topic.

What prey tell had such a power to prejudice them so thoroughly? They gave their lives up in many cases. What was the powerful motivating factor that influenced them to choose torture and death in the name of Jesus to a more comfortable life? And why did they invent such a character in the first place?

Idiocy, mental illness, their manipulation by a con-man, desire to be famous, desire to ressurect a cult in the face of an occupying Roman force? I dunnno, pick one, any of them are more probable than the supernatural explanation.

Critical thinking should provide a motive and incentive for some Galilean fishermen imagining such a person as Jesus and making up prophecies to hoodwink the world for generations after them. Was money a motive? Was political power a motive? Was personal fame a motive? Which one of the disciples died a rich man? Which one died a great political or even religious power figure? What was the motive for the invention of prophecies to be fulfilled.

You have a very odd concept of critical thinking.

If you are ignorant of what is in the Bible then critical thinking would spend some time to read it.

Critical thinking has nothign to do with it. A simple quote and explanation of your intended reference would have sufficed. That someone said someone else would be born in Bethlehem to rule Israel is pretty unamazing. I don't doubt others said people would be born in other towns too.

I can't take you seriously as a critical thinker about the veracity of the Bible if you're too lazy to read it.

I can't take you seriously as anything if you're too lazy to learn how to think.

Moves
22 Jan 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Starrman
Of course... 🙄
Since you believe there is no absolute proof for anything including your own existence.

And since you struggle to accept your own existence, it is no wonder the existence of God is lost on you.

Duh...

🙄

j

Moves
22 Jan 07
3 edits

Every single aspect of your post presupposes the existence of Jesus as the son of god, so I'll try and take you slowly through it, for fear of you getting dizzy on the circularity of your reasoning.

[b]Name one other child born in Bethlehem who in three and one half years of his or her life made as powerful an impa ]

I can't take you seriously as anything if you're too lazy to learn how to think.
I can't take seriously anyone on the subject of criticism of the Holy Bible or criticial thinking who likes to parade before the world that he is "Sodomy Incarnate."

I guess you're happy pretending concerning your own physiology and sexuality.

Get clear about your own physiology and sexuality first, if possible. Then maybe I'll see some clear thinking on the teaching and life of Jesus.

j

Moves
22 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker
Since you believe there is no absolute proof for anything including your own existence.

And since you struggle to accept your own existence, it is no wonder the existence of God is lost on you.

Duh...

:#
It might be a waste of time talking to Starrman who parades himself as "Sodomy Incarnate"

He's probably too degraded in thought to know the difference between his mouth and a female vagina.

S

Moves
22 Jan 07

Duh...

🙄
And since you clearly have only the ability to remember selected parts of that belief, which you parade falsely as a summary of my position, you are happy to indulge in strawmanesque behaviour. Stay on topic or get lost.

Moves
22 Jan 07

It might be a waste of time talking to Starrman who parades himself as "Sodomy Incarnate"

He's probably too degraded in thought to know the difference between his mouth and a female vigina.
Unfortunately people will always find a philosophy to which suits their lifestyle, no matter how incoherent it is they will cling to it, because it is all they have.

S

Moves
22 Jan 07

🙄Originally posted by jaywill
I can't take seriously anyone on the subject of criticism of the Holy Bible or criticial thinking who likes to parade before the world that he is "Sodomy Incarnate."

So a simple and tongue in cheek label precludes me from the ability to either debate or think? Lol, you're ridiculous.

I guess you're happy pretending concerning your own physiology and sexuality.

How am I pretending? Physiology? What are you talking about, you crazed lunatic?

Get clear about your own physiology and sexuality first, if possible. Then maybe I'll see some clear thinking on the teaching and life of Jesus.

So that's how you conduct your arguments, with diversion and a failure to actually answer the posts. Clearly it's me that has problems in the thinking departmetn... 🙄

S

Moves
22 Jan 07

Unfortunately people will always find a philosophy to which suits their lifestyle, no matter how incoherent it is they will cling to it, because it is all they have.
And you two are walking, talking evidence of that.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
22 Jan 07

I think you need a mirror, friend.

TheSkipper

Moves
22 Jan 07

And you two are walking, talking evidence of that.
The difference is that my lifestyle is conformed to my philosophy of life, but your philosophy of life is simply a smoke-screen and an excuse to live as selfishly as you please.

Moves
22 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by TheSkipper
I think you need a mirror, friend.

TheSkipper
I have one, thanks. 😉

It shows me what I am truly like within.

j

Moves
22 Jan 07

🙄Originally posted by jaywill
[b]I can't take seriously anyone on the subject of criticism of the Holy Bible or criticial thinking who likes to parade before the world that he is "Sodomy Incarnate."

So a simple and tongue in cheek label precludes me from the ability to either debate or think? Lol, you're ridiculous.

I guess you're hap ...[text shortened]... ly answer the posts. Clearly it's me that has problems in the thinking departmetn... 🙄
Nope it's just that anybody who boasts of being "Sodomy Incarnate" advertizes that they don't have enough clarity of mind to know their own sexuality.

Now having unfurled your flag you want to backpeddle on it. I guess that's some progress.

It's your advertizing.

j

Moves
22 Jan 07

I have one, thanks. 😉

It shows me what I am truly like within.
Sodomy Incarnate Starrman does not impress me with his critical thinking. Sodomy Incarnate Starrman impresses me that his thinking is critically warped.