1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    30 Jul '10 19:406 edits
    For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

    I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.


    ---Anne Rice

    Bravo. Looks like Anne Rice has had her eyes opened to the hypocrisy that is Christianity.

    Comments?
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    30 Jul '10 19:49
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [quote] For those who care, and I understand if you don't: [b]Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've t ...[text shortened]... Anne Rice has had her eyes opened to the hypocrisy that is Christianity.

    Comments?[/b]
    Looks like I'm not the only one who is creeped out by Christians.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    30 Jul '10 19:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Looks like I'm not the only one who is creeped out by Christians.
    What's interesting is how few are "creeped out" by the teachings of Jesus.

    Rather it is the beliefs of "Christians" and "Christianity".

    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi
  4. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    30 Jul '10 19:59
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [quote] For those who care, and I understand if you don't: [b]Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've t ...[text shortened]... Anne Rice has had her eyes opened to the hypocrisy that is Christianity.

    Comments?[/b]
    The problem is not with Christianity or the Bible. It's with Satan's control of the religions that claim to be Christian but don't follow the teachings of Christ and follow his commands.
    For example Jesus taught us not to fight but turn the other cheek and love our neighbors. What so called Christian religions ignor that and will promote, support, and fight in wars?
  5. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51454
    30 Jul '10 20:301 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    The problem is not with Christianity or the Bible. It's with Satan's control of the religions that claim to be Christian but don't follow the teachings of Christ and follow his commands.
    For example Jesus taught us not to fight but turn the other cheek and love our neighbors. What so called Christian religions ignor that and will promote, support, and fight in wars?
    It's nothing to do with Satan, Christianity is just a crap religion. Made by men followed by men.
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    8042
    30 Jul '10 20:44
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [quote] For those who care, and I understand if you don't: [b]Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've t ...[text shortened]... Anne Rice has had her eyes opened to the hypocrisy that is Christianity.

    Comments?[/b]
    The thing is,....is that Christianity is partly true and mainly false, and its the false part that causes so much trouble.

    If they could only spiritualize christainity, then they would have a force to be reckoned with.

    vishva
  7. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    30 Jul '10 21:22
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It's nothing to do with Satan, Christianity is just a crap religion. Made by men followed by men.
    Sorry old buddy but your so wrong about Satan. Fooling ones like yourself into believeing he doesn't exist is one of his best weapons and it obviously works.
  8. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    30 Jul '10 21:34
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [quote] For those who care, and I understand if you don't: [b]Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've t ...[text shortened]... Anne Rice has had her eyes opened to the hypocrisy that is Christianity.

    Comments?[/b]
    If that is her criteria for being a Christian, I do not believe ever was one. Anne Rice has always been explicit about her dissent from conservative Christianity and, particularly, Catholicism. Despite her popular conversion memoir and subsequent novels, she has expressed her moral approval of homosexuality and abortion. What distinguishes this recent outburst is not at all substantive; it is just a more rhetorical spin of everything she has said before.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    30 Jul '10 21:42
    Originally posted by galveston75
    The problem is not with Christianity or the Bible. It's with Satan's control of the religions that claim to be Christian but don't follow the teachings of Christ and follow his commands.
    For example Jesus taught us not to fight but turn the other cheek and love our neighbors. What so called Christian religions ignor that and will promote, support, and fight in wars?
    For example Jesus taught us not to fight but turn the other cheek and love our neighbors. What so called Christian religions ignor that and will promote, support, and fight in wars?

    In the same vein, those that promote or support the death penalty or the ostracization of homosexuals.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    30 Jul '10 21:484 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    If that is her criteria for being a Christian, I do not believe ever was one. Anne Rice has always been explicit about her dissent from conservative Christianity and, particularly, Catholicism. Despite her popular conversion memoir and subsequent novels, she has expressed her moral approval of homosexuality and abortion. What distinguishes this recent outbu ...[text shortened]... is not at all substantive; it is just a more rhetorical spin of everything she has said before.
    Evidently she realized that ultimately her conscience and Christianity are irreconcilable while her conscience and Christ are not. Just as Gandhi recognized the wide divide between Christians and the teachings of Jesus. Seems that Christianity should be defined by the belief in the teachings of Jesus rather than the belief in conservative Christianity or Catholicism.
  11. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    30 Jul '10 22:23
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b] For example Jesus taught us not to fight but turn the other cheek and love our neighbors. What so called Christian religions ignor that and will promote, support, and fight in wars?

    In the same vein, those that promote or support the death penalty or the ostracization of homosexuals.[/b]
    Yes we are to love all humans. But that does not mean we approve of actions or life styles they may practice. The bible condemns the willful PRACTICE of sins. We've all inherited sinful tendances and do that daily but it's when one ignors God's laws against gross sins and commits them on purpose.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    30 Jul '10 22:30
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes we are to love all humans. But that does not mean we approve of actions or life styles they may practice. The bible condemns the willful PRACTICE of sins. We've all inherited sinful tendances and do that daily but it's when one ignors God's laws against gross sins and commits them on purpose.
    Like you said, "Jesus taught us... to turn the other cheek and love our neighbors".

    Support of the death penalty and the ostracization of homosexuals goes against this, just as the support of war does.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    30 Jul '10 22:321 edit
    Here's some more background on Rice's declaration and what informed it:
    From http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0730/Anne-Rice-says-no-more-to-Christianity-and-no-new-vampires

    In a telephone interview Thursday, Rice said she had been having doubts for the past two to three years. She was troubled by the child abuse scandals in the church, and the church's defensive reaction, and by the ex-communication of Sister Margaret McBride, a nun and hospital administrator who had approved an abortion for a woman whose life was in danger.

    "I believed for a long time that the differences, the quarrels among Christians didn't matter a lot for the individual, that you live your life and stay out of it. But then I began to realize that it wasn't an easy thing to do," said Rice, speaking from her home near Palm Springs, California. "I came to the conclusion that if I didn't make this declaration, I was going to lose my mind."
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Joined
    24 Feb '09
    Moves
    175970
    30 Jul '10 22:41
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It's nothing to do with Satan, Christianity is just a crap religion. Made by men followed by men.
    Care to name a religion NOT " made by men followed by men"?
  15. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    30 Jul '10 23:25
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Like you said, "Jesus taught us... to turn the other cheek and love our neighbors".

    Support of the death penalty and the ostracization of homosexuals goes against this, just as the support of war does.
    So the prsctice of homosexuality is ok or not?
Back to Top