1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 04:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hehe, apparently not. I get involved in my personal soap box
    I forget about that stuff, even though I know full well to indent!
    Will try to do better in that department.....
    Hey if that is the worst thing you do, you are in great shape!
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 04:39
    Hehe, apparently not. I get involved in my personal soap box
    I forget about that stuff, even though I know full well to indent!
    Will try to do better in that department.....
    Hey if that is the worst thing you do, you are in great shape!
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 05:381 edit
    If I were smart I would have passed by this thread but it was started by Shav, who has in the past been rather amusing...

Then I read howardgee's manure....

I think of the people who worship in the little downtown church I attend. The woman who has a run a weekly bible study at the prison for years, who has taken people into her home when they were released, treating them as precious and worthy and supporting them while they build lives.

The men and a few women who gather up their tools and supplies and do repairs to the homes of elders and disabled people in our town. Who each year go to the Habitat for Humanit builds in our community.

The 4 or 5 people who run a food bank out of our church, and take baskets to those who are struggling. Most members of our congregation would not go to church services without some food to put in the basket. There is fresh meat and milk and vegetables for the baskets because many people give money and go do the shopping just before the distrubtion. (For those who have never needed a food bank in order to eat, those fresh items are the most scarce if available at all in food banks.)

The 15-20 other people who cook a dinner each week for the homeless shelter in town. There is dinner there each night because each church in town takes a turn. There is one church that makes bag lunches for the shelter every day.

The 8-12 women who get together for 4 hours every saturday morning and make quilts which go to children in foster care, or to those who are recieving treatment for severe illness.

The handful of women who run a tiny thrift store and who will give pots, pans, blankets, lamps to those who are struggling.

Each year we gather money to go to the Heifer project, send one or two of our people off to serve in the Peace Corp or some other volunteer capacity, run blood drives because our community is too small for a regular center, our monthly family fun nights which may be Ice Cream social, a dance or a movie which are open to all and at no charge and include games, singing and crafts, the wednesday night church dinner which is attended by many who are not members but who come anyway for food and companionship.

These are just a few of the things that people of faith are doing from my church....My church is not special or different from anyother church, synagogue or mosque in my community or most communities in the first world...

Our church has had its doors peed upon, indeed someone defecated in the church, a couple was found having sex on the alter, someone painted a pentagram onto the carpet in front of the altar rail and once a couple of drunks broke in and had a "sword" fight using the processional crosses in the night. The police were summoned and prior to Sunday services, blood was washed from the walls, pews and altar. We prayed for them all and for ourselves that we would be granted the opportunity to offer them the love and grace of our God in the hope of healing for their suffering souls.....

Here I refrain from giving an exact opinion of certain people and their opinions....
  4. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 07:12
    Originally posted by Aynat
    If I were smart I would have passed by this thread but it was started by Shav, who has in the past been rather amusing...

I think of the people who worship in the little downtown church I attend. The woman who has a run a weekly bible study at the prison for years, who has taken people into her home when they were rele ...[text shortened]... uls.....

Here I refrain from giving an exact opinion of certain people and their opinions....
    Mabey you and your church don't help the people who need it most?
  5. Cosmos
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 12:58
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    What perdicament of Howards are you refering, that he claims to
    go into a church service just to disrupt it, than claims he took such
    great joy in a loud bowel movement?
    Kelly
    Hang on; I never claimed to go in to the service just to disrupt it.
    I went in for some warmth whilst reading my paper.

You do have a nasty habit of misquoting me, KellyJay, and substituting what you would have liked me to claim.

As it happens though, I would not be averse to disrupting a church service. And why not? Surely preventing the propogation of lies can only be a good thing?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 00:36

I think of the people who worship in the little downtown church I attend. The woman who has a run a weekly bible study at the prison for years, who has taken people into her home when they were rele ...[text shortened]... uls.....

The fact that some people do good while in association with a church
    is of course a desireable thing. The only thing I would say is, why can't
    there be organizations that do the same thing without referance to
    some god or other? Like the fire department, they do their job without
    quoting scriptures or having to present a bible at a food line.
    It seems to me all the good deeds are done with an eye to making
    their way to a non-existant heaven, by your good deeds shall ye be
    rewarded in heaven. Why not by your good deeds you are recognized
    by the human race as a genuine hero?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 03:52
    Originally posted by howardgee

You do have a nasty habit of misquoting me, KellyJay, and substituting what you would have liked me to claim.

As it happens though, I would not be averse to disrupting a church service. And why not? Surely preventing the propogation of lies can only be a good thing?
    Your right, my mistake. Sorry.
    Kelly
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 10:371 edit

Howardgee: "Hang on; I never claimed to go in to the service just to disrupt it. I went in for some warmth whilst reading my paper.

Ha ha ha ..... I like funny people .....

Howardgee: "You do have a nasty habit of misquoting me, KellyJay, and substituting what you would have liked me to claim."

ha ha ha ..... misquoting him ....... funny people those churchgoers ... oops ..... ha ha ha .......
  9. CAPE
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 07:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    OK. Take it easy.
    just for you and anyone who needs it - "the greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall "๐Ÿ˜‰

i always take it easy -
  10. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 08:03

.... and this is why even though i am skeptical of all religions and their beliefs, i will never discredit them as being simply a way to control the masses..... they more often than not provide good while doing it
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 08:03
    Originally posted by FORESTNYMPH
    just for you and anyone who needs it - "the greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall "๐Ÿ˜‰

i always take it easy -
    As it happens, your quote is very apt this morning. Thanks.

I'll have to challenge you to a game of chess when I have a space.
  12. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 08:07
    The fact that some people do good while in association with a church
    is of course a desireable thing. The only thing I would say is, why can't
    there be organizations that do the same thing without referance to
    some god or other? Like the fire department, they do their job without
    quoting scriptures or having to present a bible at a food line.
    It see ...[text shortened]... d in heaven. Why not by your good deeds you are recognized
    by the human race as a genuine hero?
    great idea. now tell me if you would get more or less people to volunteer their time, money, and efforts if they didnt think an overbearing God was watching them..... my guess is less.... most of the time you need an incentive for people to give up something of themselves, and as cynical as it sounds, not going to hell is a pretty good incentive.
  13. CAPE
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 08:39
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    As it happens, your quote is very apt this morning. Thanks.

I'll have to challenge you to a game of chess when I have a space.
    I SHALL BE WAITING .....

and for you being nice today here is anpther for you - "vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare"

๐Ÿ˜‰

have a fantastic day ๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 19:00
    Preventing? They likely either forgot all about you or dismissed it as an 'attack of the devil'. In any case, such actions only increase the fervency of a faith. Human nature wants to cling even more stubbornly to beliefs when they are attacked.

Even if you view the church's teachings as lies (and I partially agree with that sentiment), you have no right to disrupt it. People should be free to believe what they wish in regard to the unknown and the supernatural.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Aug '05 19:14
    Originally posted by lioyank
    great idea. now tell me if you would get more or less people to volunteer their time, money, and efforts if they didnt think an overbearing God was watching them..... my guess is less.... most of the time you need an incentive for people to give up something of themselves, and as cynical as it sounds, not going to hell is a pretty good incentive.
    I disagree with you about hell being the motivation for a Christian to do good. I believe the chief motivation to be, to show your fellowman the love of Christ. If you have personally experieced Christ, you can't help but want to be an instrument in revealing Christ's love.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree