if god came knocking

if god came knocking

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
25 Jan 12

if god came knocking on my door, what could he offer me? whats the benefits of being a christian? maybe im not looking hard enough but if i started believing and going to church and stuff i cant see how it would be good for me or anybody else, thus in my opinion making god pointless and irrelevant.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 Jan 12
2 edits

Originally posted by stellspalfie
if god came knocking on my door, what could he offer me? whats the benefits of being a christian? maybe im not looking hard enough but if i started believing and going to church and stuff i cant see how it would be good for me or anybody else, thus in my opinion making god pointless and irrelevant.
You'd believe that when your body ceases to function, and all the low level interactions and physical processes which give rise to your motion and consciousness expire - you'll find yourself in some happy place of tweeting bluebirds, smiling sunflowers and strawberry spiral lollipops.

You would, in a state of misplaced optimism, waste what precious time you have to enjoy this one and only chance at existing kissing the arse of some invisible sky fairy, who from how the Bible describes it, would no doubt give you the shaft anyway (if it existed that is).

Moves
25 Jan 12

If god came knocking on my door, what could he offer me?
What's the benefits of being a Christian?
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but if I started believing and going to church and stuff I cant see how
it would be good for me or anybody else, thus in my opinion making god pointless and irrelevant.
Why you don't have to go into gods basement!

Isn't that good news....

j

Moves
25 Jan 12

i cant see how it would be good for me or anybody else, thus in my opinion making god pointless and irrelevant.

I see. Pointless and irrelevant.

Could you tell us then stellspalfie, what is the point of you ever having lived ?
Why are you here on the earth ?
Your point ? Your relevance ?
Tell us what it is ?

Moves
25 Jan 12

Originally posted by jaywill
i cant see how it would be good for me or anybody else, thus in my opinion making god pointless and irrelevant.

Could you tell us then stellspalfie, what is the point of you ever having lived ?
Tell us what it is ?
Why does there need to be a point to existence?

People keep asking "what is the point of the universe?" of "existence?" of "our/your/my life?"

My response is to ask what makes you think that a point exists?

To have a point (from an external perspective) needs a mind to have that point.

To be created for a purpose requires a creator with a purpose.

No evidence exists that suggests such a creator exists.

Nothing has any meaning except that which we imbue it with.

We get to decide what the point of our lives is.

There is no external meaning imposed on us, and/or if there is, I for one reject it.

I see no need for any god to tell me what I am for.

So yes, god is pointless and unnecessary.

Moves
25 Jan 12

Tell us what it is ?
no, i dont think i will tell you, mind your own business!!!. im not trying to sell anything to anybody (apart from a bookcase on ebay). its god who wants me, so its up to him to start selling himself. so far he's got nothing, i do like churches though, the old ones. so i guess thats one selling point to the lord. then again i almost bought a church a few months back, that was with out gods help (never met the seller, so who knows). so ill take that point away.
if you are going to push me for an answer, ill crack and id have to agree with googlefudge, as far as im aware there is no point.

j

Moves
25 Jan 12

Originally posted by googlefudge

People keep asking "what is the point of the universe?" of "existence?" of "our/your/my life?"

To be created for a purpose requires a creator with a pur ...[text shortened]... no need for any god to tell me what I am for.

its nice to have someone answer FOR you. But I am sure the poster can answer for his or herself.

Moves
25 Jan 12

its nice to have someone answer FOR you. But I am sure the poster can answer for his or herself.
Yes, and they did, however my response to the often asked question still stands.

I didn't actually answer for stellspalfie, I asked you why you thought there had to be a point
to someone's life.
I did this independently of anything stellspalfie had to say on the matter.
As it happens stellspalfie appears to agree with me.

j

Moves
25 Jan 12
1 edit

To be created for a purpose requires a creator with a pur ...[text shortened]... no need for any god to tell me what I am for.

Self contradiction.

Your statement has no meaning except that which we imbue it with.
Its not reliable.

Moves
26 Jan 12
1 edit

Self contradiction.

Its not reliable.
My take is similar to GF's and it is possible that someone's 's life will have no meaning. The responsibility is unalienable, even if we adopt the position that God or our relationship to God [edit: is what] gives our life meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_%28existential%29

""Existence precedes essence" means that a human exists first before they have meaning in life. Meaning is not given, and must be achieved. With objects—say a knife for example, there is some creator who conceives of an idea or purpose of an object, and then creates it with the essence of the object already present. The essence of what the knife will be exists before the actual knife itself. Sartre, who was an atheist, believed that if there is no God to have conceived of our essence or nature, then we must come into existence first, and then create our own essence out of interaction with our surroundings and ourselves. With this come serious implications of self-responsibility over who we are and what our lives mean. For this reason, meaning is something without representation or bearing in anything or anyone else. It is something truly unique to each person – separate, independent.[2]"

Moves
26 Jan 12

Self contradiction.

Its not reliable.
No, we as human beings collectively imbue certain symbols and sounds with meanings,
this allows us to communicate meanings to one another.

This is not in any contradiction with the statement that "Nothing has any meaning except
that which we imbue it with" as we do imbue these symbols and sounds with meanings.

Because we collectively agree on the meanings of these symbols and sounds so that we can
communicate with one another we can generally rely on those meanings imbued by us and others.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
26 Jan 12
3 edits

Indeed, most theists (at least those round here) completely fail to recognise the recursivity of the question: "what's the point of existing if no God?"

i.e:

- What's the point of an entity for which the point to our own existence is defined
by many theists
in terms of it?
- What's the point of the situation for which the existence of an entity through which the point to our own existence is in turn defined is not pointless?
- and so on...

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
26 Jan 12

Self contradiction.

Its not reliable.
it's not a self contradictions, and you're right, everything only has meaning from the perspective of the sentient experiencing it.

that is not to say that such experiences have no value and experiences that are shared often create a bond between sentient beings, even if they don't fully understand the experiences.

j

Moves
26 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
My take is similar to GF's and it is possible that someone's 's life will have no meaning. The responsibility is unalienable, even if we adopt the position that God or our relationship to God [edit: is what] gives our life meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_%28existential%29

""Existence precedes essence" means that a human exists first before ...[text shortened]... or anyone else. It is something truly unique to each person – separate, independent.[2]"
The poster gave me no reason whether self defined or defined by another. I just asked for any.

I was told to mind my own business. Anyway, the poster likes buildings with steeples and stain glass windows I suppose.

What that has to do with the church I don't know. I guess Western bungalows with steeples are just pretty.

Moves
26 Jan 12

The poster gave me no reason whether self defined or defined by another. I just asked for any.

I was told to mind my own business. Anyway, the poster likes buildings with steeples and stain glass windows I suppose.

What that has to do with the church I don't know. I guess Western bungalows with steeples are just pretty.
The poster gave you no reason because it is up to you to give the reason that is your reason. Of course you don't have to give it to anybody except yourself and you can even decline to do that.