1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:26
    Just for the sake of arguement, lets assume that I can prove to you that God exists. Would you serve him?
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just for the sake of arguement, lets assume that I can prove to you that God exists. Would you serve him?
    What's the point of this question?
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:32
    First I'd want to know several things:

1) A complete account of the bible from his view, so as to clear up whether the humans that scribed it got it right or not.
    2) A long and involved debate as to whether he is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.
    3) A number of other questions about the actions he has performed and whether or not they can be justified.
    4) A reason why I should serve him which I find compelling.

If he was able to fulfill these requirements and if I felt that it was the right thing to do in the circumstances, despite my previous misgivings, then maybe. Despite being forced to admit his existence, I am under no obligation to follow his commands.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:371 edit
    Originally posted by dottewell
    What's the point of this question?
    The point to this thread is that I don't believe faith has any thing to do with "proving" that God exists. Let me just add that I think this is why God is not in the business of "proving" himself analytically or scientifically.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:39
    Originally posted by Starrman
    First I'd want to know several things:

1) A complete account of the bible from his view, so as to clear up whether the humans that scribed it got it right or not.
    2) A long and involved debate as to whether he is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.
    3) A number of other questions about the actions he has performed and whether or not they can be just ...[text shortened]... Despite being forced to admit his existence, I am under no obligation to follow his commands.
    Just for the sake of arguement, lets assume that the Bible is the truth about God and is his perspective due to the fact he inspired the work.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:40
    Just for the sake of arguement, lets assume that the Bible is the truth about God and is his perspective due to the fact he inspired the work.
    Okay, now give me a reason to serve him.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:42
    Okay, now give me a reason to serve him.
    I suppose service would be based on two things. It would either be based on fear or love or a combination of both.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:44
    Now that obviously depends and what this 'God' is and how much you actually proove is true about him.
    What would be important is:
    1. Would it benefit me or people I care about?
    2. Is he just so 'great' that I would feel so 'respectfull' as to want to serve him.
    3. Someone explains to me what 'serve him' means and whether God actually wants that.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:47
    I suppose service would be based on two things. It would either be based on fear or love or a combination of both.
    I will not serve someone out of fear.

I should not have to serve someone if they love me.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Now that obviously depends and what this 'God' is and how much you actually proove is true about him.
    What would be important is:
    1. Would it benefit me or people I care about?
    2. Is he just so 'great' that I would feel so 'respectfull' as to want to serve him.
    3. Someone explains to me what 'serve him' means and whether God actually wants that.
    This question assumes that the true God is the God of the Bible. Therefore, there is nothing more to prove. I suppose this question assumes that most people know much about the Bible in order to give a knowledgeable response.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    3. Someone explains to me what 'serve him' means and whether God actually wants that.[/b]
    Service is merely walking by faith. You assume that God knows all and sees all. You, however, are finite and do not. Therefore, you need God at times to be your eyes and ears by listening to what he tells you is truth and walking accordingly. You further assume that God is benevolent and is "trustable" to be your eyes and ears.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:54
    I will not serve someone out of fear.

I should not have to serve someone if they love me.
    Given my previous definition of service, which is walking in faith, would you serve?
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 11:58
    You'd also have to introduce me to Their Ineffability. If we hit it off, there's no reason we couldn't be friends. One of the few credible religious outfits I've come across, the Sufis, are known as the Friends of God (not the Servants or what have you).
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 12:03
    Given my previous definition of service, which is walking in faith, would you serve?
    You have yet to give me a reason why I should do anything more than acknowledge his existence, which of course I would be compelled to do.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 12:10
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You'd also have to introduce me to Their Ineffability. If we hit it off, there's no reason we couldn't be friends. One of the few credible religious outfits I've come across, the Sufis, are known as the Friends of God (not the Servants or what have you).
    Actually this title started with Abraham. James 2:23 says, "And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness; and he was called the Friend of God."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree