1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 13:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

"Can you finally accept that the idiotic question you KEEP asking has been
    well and truly, once and for all, finally, answered....

And that you won't ask it ever again?" -googlefudge

Please help me understand what possible differenc ...[text shortened]... theist if a law
    abiding theist puts his or her faith in God. Why not simply live and let live?
    Did you read my post???????

I mean At ALL????
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 16:071 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin

[b]Please help me understand what possible difference it makes to an atheist if a law
    abiding theist puts his or her faith in God. Why not simply live and let live?

Maybe try reading Googlefudge's answer to that question?

FFS!

--- Penguin[/b]
    Hi, Penguin. I've read googlefudge's answer several times. Lengthy tirades of emotional reaction limit, if not negate, the possibility of meaningful conversation. Why he found this one sentence question so bothersome I do not know. -Bob

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 16:08
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Did you read my post???????

I mean At ALL????
    Yes.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 17:12
    Hi, Penguin. I've read googlefudge's answer several times. Lengthy tirades of emotional reaction limit, if not negate, the possibility of meaningful conversation. Why he found this one sentence question so bothersome I do not know. -Bob

No what prevents conversation is that you don't read what anyone else says.

That question is DONE and dead.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 17:15
    Yes.
    Prove it.

Demonstrate that you read and understood my post by answering your own
    question using the materiel I gave you.

Because there is WAY more than enough there, even without all the other times
    that I and other people here have answered that question.

I do not believe that you are incapable of understanding my answer which means
    you just can't be bothered to read or think about it.

Prove me wrong and actually join the conversation.

Prove it.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 18:152 edits
    Prove it.

Demonstrate that you read and understood my post by answering your own
    question using the materiel I gave you.

Because there is WAY more than enough there, even without all the other times
    that I and other people here have answered that question.

I do not believe that you are incapable of understanding my answer which means
    you ...[text shortened]... ed to read or think about it.

Prove me wrong and actually join the conversation.

Prove it.

"Ok. Lets deal again with the contender for worlds stupidest and most thoughtless question to ask
    an atheist.

Why would an atheist care about people believing in gods that don't exist?

Because what people believe effects their actions which effects other people.

If gods don't exist, and atheists are right, then everything people do and think because they think
    that gods exist is based on a lie.

Whether it's a politician standing up and saying that governments didn't need to do anything about
    global warming because Armageddon is coming soon and so it doesn't matter what we do to the planet...

Or if it's people campaigning against gay marriage because they believe that homosexuality is a sin
    because they think their non-existent god said so...

Or if it's people not getting themselves and their children vaccinated because they don't trust science
    because it contradicts their religion and so put themselves and everyone else around them at risk from
    preventable diseases that we should have wiped out like small pox but can't because of anti-vax movements...

Or if it's people persecuting and ostracising those from a different false religion for not believing the same
    false things they do...

Or if it's people blowing themselves up, or flying planes into buildings because they think god wishes them
    to kill themselves while killing and terrorising those that believe something different....

Or if it's the high school student who gets bullied for not believing the right religion, or none at all...

Or if it's the women being hounded and intimidated by Anti-Choice activists while trying to get to
    an abortion clinic...

Or if it's members of governments trying to force their false religious beliefs on others by shutting down
    anywhere that provides medical services they don't approve of...

Or it's the child that gets thrown out of the house and onto the street because their parents can't accept
    that they're an atheist, or gay, or a different religion... ect.

What people believe about the world and the way it works, alters the way they behave, and the choices they
    make.

If those choices are made based on false information then those choices are more likely to be wrong as
    they will not match up with reality.

What people believe matters, and anyone with a third of a brain can see that.

So why do you keep asking this same stupid and thoughtless question?
    When we have already answered it many times before." -googlefudge

Thought to word coefficient's weak whenever feelings rule the house. Why not simply live and let live rather than become emotional and vibrate? All of the above paragraphs succeed in waxing eloquent in presenting your well honed opinions on a miscellany of issues; not one addresses the question asked: "If God didn't exist*, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" Note: Stylistic spacing embedded in your text has been preserved verbatim.

[* or the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus or Father Christmas in context]
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 18:41

Thought to word coefficient's weak whenever feelings rule the house. Why not simply live and let live rather than become emotional and vibrate? All of the above paragraphs succeed in waxing eloquent in presenting your well honed opinions on ...[text shortened]... ir faith in Him?"[/i] Note: Stylistic spacing embedded in your text has been preserved verbatim.
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

You really need to learn how to quote properly.
    And how to properly edit quotes.

If you're just going to respond to the entire post monolithically
    then just leave it in the quoted post box.

Thought to word coefficient's weak whenever feelings rule the house.

Gibberish to inanity content is high when brain not engaged before sunset...

Why not simply live and let live rather than become emotional and vibrate?

Vibrate?? Oddly, many people find it irritating in the extreme when they get asked the same
    question over and over again by the same person who then continues to act like this question
    hasn't been answered.

All of the above paragraphs succeed in waxing eloquent in presenting your well
    honed opinions on a miscellany of issues; not one addresses the question asked: ...

You are quite right. Not ONE of those dealt with your question...

ALL of them did.

Ok you apparently have trouble digesting ideas of more than one sentence.

So lets do this the long way.....

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put
    their faith in Him?"

Do you accept that people make choices about how they speak and act based upon their
    beliefs about the world and how it works?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 18:59

Gibberish to inanity content i ...[text shortened]... es about how they speak and act based upon their
    [/b]
    "Do you accept that people make choices about how they speak and act based upon their
    beliefs about the world and how it works?" -googlefudge

... whenever they're thinking clearly; otherwise, not so much.

Do you accept that [some] people who think/believe there is no God speak
    and act defensively toward those who do think/believe there's is a God?
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 23:05
    "Do you accept that people make choices about how they speak and act based upon their
    beliefs about the world and how it works?" -googlefudge

... whenever they're thinking clearly; otherwise, not so much.

Do you accept that [some] people who think/believe there is no God speak
    and act defensively toward those who do think/believe there's is a God?
    Googlefudge's answer to your question was essentially a list of examples of where people's actions, prompted by their religious beliefs, affect the lives and freedoms of others. If the god being believed in does not actually exist, then those actions are affecting others for no good reason. That, is the answer to your question. Can you not now accept that your question has been answered and commit to not asking it again?

Here's another example. The scientologists, I heard today, have just been given the right to hold religious marriage ceremonies in the UK. No problem with that but some are saying that this is a step towards gaining the tax exempt status of many other religions. If that happens, then I will effectively be paying for their ridiculous beliefs.

Penguin.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 23:15
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    For the sake of simplicity lets assume there is one God and we, as humans can't begin to fathom its true nature. We are crippled after all trying to define the glory and terror of God on terms we understand.

Back to business. Yes kill all aspects of God for the greater good.
    And if God is the greater good?
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 23:291 edit
    Googlefudge's answer to your question was essentially a list of examples of where people's actions, prompted by their religious beliefs, affect the lives and freedoms of others. If the god being believed in does not actually exist, then those actions are affecting others for no good reason. That, is the answer to your question. Can you not now accept that yo ...[text shortened]... ns. If that happens, then I will effectively be paying for their ridiculous beliefs.

Penguin.

"Googlefudge's answer to your question was essentially a list of examples of where people's actions, prompted by their religious beliefs, affect the lives and freedoms of others. If the god being believed in does not actually exist, then those actions are affecting others for no good reason."

If people put their faith in a God who didn't exist, they'd be believing in nothing; no person, no doctrine, no commands, nothing. Many around the globe believe in nothing and yet are law abiding. Your interpretation of the googlefudge position is grossly presumptive to the extent that it orders an Ipso Facto Guilt by Association Charge against a belief atheists reject.

Note: If God does exist (Koine Greek 1st Class Condition: and He does), then it does make a difference whether or not people put their faith in Him--- and the atheist position of wholesale, robust rejection is easily explained.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:13

Gibberish to inanity content i ...[text shortened]... es about how they speak and act based upon their
    [/b]
    Please see my reply to Penquin's comments on your behalf (on page 5)
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:52
    [b]"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

"Googlefudge's answer to your question was essentially a list of examples of where people's actions, prompted by their religious beliefs, affect the lives and freedoms of others. If the god being ...[text shortened]... eir faith in Him--- and the atheist position of wholesale, robust rejection is easily explained.[/b]
    If people put their faith in a God who didn't exist, they'd be believing in nothing;
    no person, no doctrine, no commands, nothing. Many around the globe believe in nothing
    and yet are law abiding. Your interpretation of the googlefudge position is grossly
    presumptive to the extent that it orders an Ipso Facto Guilt by Association Charge against
    a belief atheists reject.

No, you are not getting it. I'm beginning to suspect on purpose.

Let me drum this into you.

WHAT PEOPLE BELIEVE INFLUENCES THE CHOICES THEY MAKE.

You don't jump out of a 12th story window to get to the ground because your beliefs about how
    the world works tells you that if you do that you wont float gently to the ground, you will
    fall at high speed and splat on the pavement below.

What you believe about the way the world works inevitably and obviously influences how
    you interact with the world and the choices you make.

If you can't see this then you're so blind to reality you are beyond hope.

GIVEN that what people believe influences the choices they make...

I gave a whole set of choices people make and have made that influence others (including us atheists)
    negatively and which were brought about by religious theistic beliefs.

This list wasn't exhaustive, but it contained examples of real world effects of people believing
    in gods that negatively effected other people. [and also often themselves as well]

Because what people believe alters their choices, and their choices effect everyone else around
    them, it's very reasonable to care what other people believe and why.

This is not incompatible with caring about freedom of expression and freedom of and from religion.

For me to be able to think what I want, you must have the freedom to think what you want.

However, that doesn't mean I can't try to persuade you to think/act differently if your beliefs cause
    you to make decisions that harm me, or others, or because I have compassion, yourself.
    I care if your beliefs hurt you even if they don't hurt anyone else.

Take an issue like global warming as an example.

There are those who believe that global warming isn't happening, despite massive evidence it is.
    They are doing their damnedest (and are succeeding) is delaying and/or stopping any measures to try
    to prevent and/or limit global warming.
    This effects everyone negatively as global warming is forecast to, and is having now, a detrimental effect
    on our climate. Its highly probably that the Typhoon that just hit the Philippines was as strong as it was
    because of the extra ocean heat due to global warming.

Are you going to tell me that those preventing action because they don't believe global warming is happening
    don't have an effect on me/us? And that I shouldn't care what they believe?

I/we care what theists believe and why because when you make decisions that are based on a belief that
    gods exist it effects us.

And that is true irrespective of whether gods exist or not.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:13
    [quote]If people put their faith in a God who didn't exist, they'd be believing in nothing;
    no person, no doctrine, no commands, nothing. Many around the globe believe in nothing
    and yet are law abiding. Your interpretation of the googlefudge position is grossly
    presumptive to the extent that it orders an Ipso Facto Guilt by Association Charge agai ...[text shortened]... that
    gods exist it effects us.

And that is true irrespective of whether gods exist or not.

"WHAT PEOPLE BELIEVE INFLUENCES THE CHOICES THEY MAKE.

And that is true irrespective of whether gods exist or not." -googlefudge

Agree with both of your sentences. What is their relevance to the theist option/atheist tolerance spirituality quote in view?
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:231 edit

"WHAT PEOPLE BELIEVE INFLUENCES THE CHOICES THEY MAKE.

And that is true irrespective of whether gods exist or not." -googlefudge

Agree with both of your sentences. What is their relevance to the theist option/atheist tolerance spirituality quote in view?
    You cannot be serious.

There is no possible way you're that dim.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree