If you could kill God...

If you could kill God...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Dec 13
2 edits

Originally posted by googlefudge
Do you regard yourself as a human being with a body only?

Yes.
Of course I do.
And you would know this if you listened to but a tenth of what I say.

[quote]All human beings are born dichotomous: body and soul (at the moment of birth, God
imputes a unique soul to the viable fetus); at the moment of regeneration (salvation by fai ...[text shortened]... proof that it is so.

Please show me evidence that I have a soul.

Don't state it, prove it.
Soul: "noun. the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal. a person’s moral or emotional nature or sense of identity: in the depths of her soul, she knew he would betray her emotional or intellectual energy or intensity, especially as revealed in a work of art or an artistic performance." (oxford dictionaries)

Is your body the real you?

Moves
18 Dec 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Body only: what part of your body does the processing of new information, evaluating, thinking, learning,
formulating and applying principles, acquiring norms and standards, dreaming and remembering?
My brain. Of course.

And again, you should already know this because I have said so many many times.

Now please answer MY question.

Why should I, or anyone else, be at all concerned for the eternal fate of a soul when
neither you nor anybody else has demonstrated the existence of any such thing?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Dec 13
1 edit

My brain. Of course.

And again, you should already know this because I have said so many many times.

Now please answer MY question.

Why should I, or anyone else, be at all concerned for the eternal fate of a soul when
neither you nor anybody else has demonstrated the existence of any such thing?
You shouldn't; you alone live with the consequences. No one has a right to coerce your free will.

Moves
18 Dec 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
The immortality of the soul is an amazingly interesting concept, again, it can be traced from ancient Chaldea, through Egypt and into Greece from whence Christians became the recipients. I myself don't profess it, but i don't think that many Christians have seriously researched their own beliefs on the matter and it comes down to them, from antiquity as a tradition.
It always amuses me when the religious take down the religious beliefs of others by
methods their own faith could not withstand.

You can trace the historical development of any/all religions and see people inventing
them over the centuries.

It's one of the many reasons I don't believe any of them are true.

Just as it would be foolish to genuinely believe in the FSM as we can see that people have
just made it up, it's foolish to believe in other religions we can clearly see being made up
through history. The only difference being that most religions were invented far further
back than Pastafarianism... And most were probably not created as satire.

Moves
18 Dec 13
1 edit

You shouldn't; you alone live with the consequences. No one has a right to coerce your free will.
Free will doesn't exist.

However, if it did...

Free will is about having the ability to make a choice.

There is nothing in it that requires that choice be uninformed.

In fact, if such a thing existed, I am currently using my free will to choose
to ask you to prove I have a soul. Or at least give me evidence for it.

Free will is not any kind of excuse for not proving that souls exist when you
claim they do.

Show me the evidence that souls exist.

You assert they do, so you Shirley must have proof, and it's selfish in the extreme
for you to keep it all to yourself.

And don't call me surely.

Infidel

Moves
18 Dec 13

Just as it would be foolish to genuinely believe in the FSM...

Whoa, dude, what the hell?! Are you mocking my faith?

No need to label me foolish just because you choose to not believe in His Pastounding Holyness. Good luck in Pastaferian hell, being stretched like a noodle for all eternity!

Moves
18 Dec 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat
[b]Just as it would be foolish to genuinely believe in the FSM...

Whoa, dude, what the hell?! Are you mocking my faith?

No need to label me foolish just because you choose to not believe in His Pastounding Holyness. Good luck in Pastaferian hell, being stretched like a noodle for all eternity![/b]
And so the gods of satire are appeased 😉

Infidel

Moves
18 Dec 13

And so the gods of satire are appeased 😉
I was especially pleased with "His Pastounding Holyness", if I may say so myself 😏

Although, the correct spelling is apparently Holiness.

But I like Holyness better.

P

Moves
18 Dec 13

Soul: "noun. the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal. a person’s moral or emotional nature or sense of identity: in the depths of her soul, she knew he would betray her emotional or intellectual energy or intensity, especially as revealed in a work of art or an artistic performance." (oxford dictionaries)

Are you giving that as evidence that such things actually exist?

Moves
18 Dec 13

That is A definition of a soul, not evidence or proof that such things exist.

I can define a dragon, that doesn't mean they exist, or have ever existed.

And I am my Mind, which is simply a product of my brain, which is a part of
my body.

Which again, you should know because I have told you many times before.

So I ask again. Show me evidence that souls exist.

Stop asking me questions to which you already know the answer, and answer
my question to you.

rc

Moves
18 Dec 13
1 edit

It always amuses me when the religious take down the religious beliefs of others by
methods their own faith could not withstand.

You can trace the historical development of any/all religions and see people inventing
them over the centuries.

It's one of the many reasons I don't believe any of them are true.

Just as it would be foolish to genu ...[text shortened]... invented far further
back than Pastafarianism... And most were probably not created as satire.
I am not entirely sure what these methods you allude to are. Is historical accuracy or reason a method? tracing the etymology of words? Drawing inferences from an observation of the natural world? My faith can certainly stand historical accuracy and reason.

The non religious are harbouring the pretence that their stance is any better than the religious when in fact they are no closer to any of life's answers and in actual fact, in many instances have limited their search for truth to unintelligent agencies.

As for taking down religious ideas, I don't think I have, all I stated was that i don't subscribe to it myself, that does not mean that others are not free to advocate it as they see fit.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Dec 13

That is A definition of a soul, not evidence or proof that such things exist.

I can define a dragon, that doesn't mean they exist, or have ever existed.

And I am my Mind, which is simply a product of my brain, which is a part of
my body.

Which again, you should know because I have told you many times before.

So I ask again. Show me evid ...[text shortened]...
Stop asking me questions to which you already know the answer, and answer
my question to you.
If members of the human race are comprised of a body only, what differentiates them from members of the food chain that supports human life? Other than in degrees of intelligence are a fish, a turkey, a lamb, a cow and a googlefudge identical?

Moves
18 Dec 13

If members of the human race are comprised of a body only, what differentiates them from members of the food chain that supports human life? Other than in degrees of intelligence are a fish, a turkey, a lamb, a cow and a googlefudge identical?
No. I asked you a question.

You have not answered it.

you are going to before I answer any more of yours.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Dec 13

Originally posted by Penguin
[b]Soul: "noun. the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal. a person’s moral or emotional nature or sense of identity: in the depths of her soul, she knew he would betray her emotional or intellectual energy or intensity, especially as revealed in a work of art or an artistic performance." (oxford dictionaries)

Are you giving that as evidence that such things actually exist?[/b]
Only providing a respected dictionary's definition as a starting point of reference in the interest of objectivity.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Dec 13

No. I asked you a question.

You have not answered it.

you are going to before I answer any more of yours.
"Free will doesn't exist.

However, if it did...

Free will is about having the ability to make a choice." -googlefudge

Seems you just made a free will choice in refusing to answer with stipulation.