1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 00:092 edits
    The thread on Satan got me thinking about strategies Satan might employ in order to keep people from righteousness, i.e., following the will of God.

1) Deceive people into believing that it is futile to ever become righteous. That deviations from righteousness cannot be helped and are not the fault of the individual.

2) Deceive people into believing that their salvation is assured by simply professing belief and/or performing certain rituals. That righteousness is not required.

3) Deceive people into believing that they are righteous by virtue of having professed certain beliefs even if their actions are decidedly unrighteous.

What strategies might you employ if you were Satan?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 00:18
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    The thread on Satan got me thinking about strategies Satan might employ in order to keep people from righteousness, i.e., following the will of God.

1) Deceive people into believing that it is futile to ever become righteous. That deviations from righteousness cannot be helped and are not the fault of the individual.

2) Deceive people into believin ...[text shortened]... their actions are decidedly unrighteous.

it may be helpful if you would define 'the will of God'.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 00:19

2) Deceive people into believin ...[text shortened]... their actions are decidedly unrighteous.

Why are there 80 000 thousand sutras? Because there are 80 000 follies.
    Satan will probably employ lots of different techniques..
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 00:251 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it may be helpful if you would define 'the will of God'.
    Doesn't have to be any single conception of what that may be. What's relevant is devising strategies to keep people from following it whatever it may be.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 01:04

I would encourage people to think for themselves.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 02:30

4th time. Do you sin? YES or NO?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 03:33
    You all argue like Satan is a god, an evil god. Is he a god?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 03:37

1) is standard Christian belief, except for the "fault" part. Somehow Christians think that even though "sin" is unavoidable, it's still somehow your fault for choosing to sin - even though you cannot choose not to sin.

Ah, I see. You're intentionally making Christianity seem to come from Satan. At least that's how it seems.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 03:46
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Ah, I see. You're intentionally making Christianity seem to come from Satan. At least that's how it seems.[/b]
    Perhaps all other world religions point to God EXCEPT Christianity?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 21:29
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I would encourage people to think for themselves.
    I don't know if that would work. From my experience, atheists are no worse at following the teachings of Jesus than Christians.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 21:37
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    1) is standard Christian belief, except for the "fault" part. Somehow Christians think that even though "sin" is unavoidable, it's still somehow your fault for choosing to sin - even though you cannot choose not to sin.

Ah, I see. You're intentionally making Christianity seem to come from Satan. At least that's how it seems.
    I wouldn't put it that way. It's more that it's interesting how some of the teachings of Christianity are in line with strategies that Satan might employ to keep people from righteousness. It's also interesting to note that none of the teachings that I cited were advocated by Jesus and most go against what Jesus taught.

Noticed that you pointed out how incoherent #1 is. This is true of many of the beliefs of Christians.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 21:49

Decline writing a profile.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 21:51
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Decline writing a profile.
    Meaning?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 21:52
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You all argue like Satan is a god, an evil god. Is he a god?
    Hi, Swede. Answer is 'no'. Lucifer is nothing more or less than the most intelligent, highest order of the fallen angelic creation.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 21:53
    Meaning?
    Think it through within the lighthearted context in which it was posted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree