1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 16:15
    If...

If all countries around the globe had an embedded voter franchise as the centerpiece of their forms of government without the presence of conservative and liberal political parties, all registered voters with a personal stake in the outcome of any election would be independents who voted their conscience on election day. Similarly, if God and Satan did not exist, all human beings would think horizontally without an awareness of the concepts of spirituality, the supernatural or life after.

February and March 2015 are Election Day on Red Hot Pawn's Spirituality Forum. Here are the two election booths:

Do you believe God exists: No [0]------------------------------------||------------------------------------ Yes [1]

You have three options: 1) Vote your belief publically buy posting "No" or Yes"; 2) Vote privately with an OP Thumbs Down for "No" or a Thumbs Up for "Yes"; or 3) Stay home and vote inaudibly within the sanctuary of your own rational mind.

Note: Voting results will be summarized every few days. It'll be interesting to finally have a sense of the mix on this forum.
    All three Voting Booths are now open. By the way, the "1" Yes vote is mine. Thanks for your participation. -Bob
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 16:23
    Surely you already know the beliefs of all but a few of the posters here?
    I don't think the voting analogy works particularly well as it is closer to being a poll than a vote. You for example could not have honestly voted no.
    As for politics, I think we need to focus less on a vote for president/party every few years, and put more effort into getting peoples views heard in between elections. Most successful democracies actually do have significant channels for input from citizens, but when first world democracies go abroad and try to spread democracy to the rest of the world, they tend to overlook that critical component and instead spend way too much time focusing on elections.
    A truly successful democracy, is one in which the majority of citizens cannot name the president/leader but still have significant input into decision making.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 16:34
    And a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" isn't particularly reliable here as a method of voting, or even as agreement/disagreement. There are others who will "thumbs down" any GB post they see, just on "principle".

So the voting is pretty much going to be overwhelmingly "thumbs down", regardless of the prevalence (or absence) of any belief in God. It's basically a rigged vote.
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:40
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]If...

If all countries around the globe had an embedded voter franchise as the centerpiece of their forms of government without the presence of conservative and liberal political parties, all registered voters with a personal stake in the outcome of any election would be independents who voted their conscience on election day. Similarly, if Go ...[text shortened]... g Booths are now open. By the way, the "1" Yes vote is mine. Thanks for your participation. -Bob[/b]
    I don't believe there exists a personal god of any kind. As for some possible deity outside or within our spacetime that cares nothing for us as individuals? Maybe, but I doubt it. I guess my vote is no.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:45
    [b]If...

If all countries around the globe had an embedded voter franchise as the centerpiece of their forms of government without the presence of conservative and liberal political parties, all registered voters with a personal stake in the outcome of any election would be independents who voted their conscience on election day. Similarly, if Go ...[text shortened]... g Booths are now open. By the way, the "1" Yes vote is mine. Thanks for your participation. -Bob[/b]
    For some people, the only theological issue that matters to them is their presumed afterlife, and the only thing that matters to that, is whether they believe God (of a certain definition) exists. And they think that should be what matters to everyone.

I find it more worthwhile to strive to live the same life whether or not God exists or I believe God exists, and not let the unanswered and possibly unanswerable questions get in the way of that.

IOW, I find it less worthwhile to live a life based on "What's in it for me?"

Granted, there may be plenty of theists who are not motivated by what's in it for them, but there isn't a lot of contribution by such people on this forum.
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:03
    No
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:141 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There are others who will "thumbs down" any GB post they see, just on "principle".

So the voting is pretty much going to be overwhelmingly "thumbs down", regardless of the prevalence (or absence) of any belief in God. It's basically a rigged vote.
    So its your belief that everyone in this forum is either an atheist or a GB hater or both?

[edit]I should have said 'most posters' not 'everyone'.
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:37
    I am not a voter but for the sake of your survey, yes. Who else could produce a single blade of grass? Who else could have created a perfect human being? If it were up to evolution, humankind would have withered away or as they say would have been selected out many moons ago.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 19:05
    Originally posted by roigam
    Who else could produce a single blade of grass?
    Does there have to be a who?

Who else could have created a perfect human being?
    Christians believe humans are not perfect, so I assume you are not Christian?

If it were up to evolution, humankind would have withered away or as they say would have been selected out many moons ago.
    This only demonstrates your lack of knowledge of evolution. You cannot actually back that up with an actual argument or evidence, you just made it up because you want it to be true.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 19:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So its your belief that everyone in this forum is either an atheist or a GB hater or both?

[edit]I should have said 'most posters' not 'everyone'.
    I do believe he'll get more thumbs down than thumbs up, and that's all I was saying. Make of that what you will.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 19:13
    Who else could have created a perfect human being?
    [/b]
    Humans were created perfect, biologically speaking, but sin has introduced imperfection.

Your statement as it stands is technically correct, but our opinion of whether they started out as perfect varies, as far as I understand it.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 19:16
    [b]If...

My official answer is: Yes, of course God exists.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 19:39
    Originally posted by JS357
    For some people, the only theological issue that matters to them is their presumed afterlife, and the only thing that matters to that, is whether they believe God (of a certain definition) exists. And they think that should be what matters to everyone.

I find it more worthwhile to strive to live the same life whether or not God exists or I believe God exist ...[text shortened]... ed by what's in it for them, but there isn't a lot of contribution by such people on this forum.
    Even atheists are motivated by what's in it for them. I don't believe the world happened by accident, so i see no other choice but to believe there is a God who made it.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 19:44
    Does there have to be a who?

[b]Who else could have created a perfect human being?

If it were up to evolution, humankind would have withered away or as they say would have been selected out many moons ago.
    This only demonstrates your lack of knowledge of evolu ...[text shortened]... that up with an actual argument or evidence, you just made it up because you want it to be true.[/b]
    There you go thinking backwards again.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 20:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Humans were created perfect, biologically speaking, but sin has introduced imperfection.
    But you agree with me that they are currently not perfect. Therefore, 'who could have made the perfect humans we see today?' is not the sort of question a Christian should be asking is it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree