I'm thinking of giving up being religious

I'm thinking of giving up being religious

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Aug 09

What advice can the panel give please?

g

Pepperland

Moves
01 Aug 09

Originally posted by divegeester
good luck in hell, lol, jus' kidding.

why are you giving up anyway?

F

Moves
01 Aug 09

I'm thinking of giving up being religious. What advice can the panel give please?
Don't do it because of pressure from your peers and acquaintances. Weigh the contents of your heart and your intellect and take your time. If your former religiiosity was making you live your life well in certain ways, preserve and continue those things. Never let your curiosity go off the boil. Always be skeptical of strangers giving you advice like mine.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
01 Aug 09

Start reading some atheistic and/or humanist books.

g

Pepperland

Moves
01 Aug 09

Originally posted by rwingett
Start reading some atheistic and/or humanist books.
so you're saying he should make his opinions based on what other people say, instead of thinking for himself?

F

Moves
01 Aug 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
so you're saying he should make his opinions based on what other people say, instead of thinking for himself?
Yeah, books are real dangerous things, right?

g

Pepperland

Moves
01 Aug 09

Originally posted by FMF
Yeah, books are real dangerous things, right?
are you against independent thinking as well?

what is your atheist book of choice?
its much better to listen to a-holes like dawkins instead of thinking for yourself, right?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
01 Aug 09

How does reading a book prevent him from thinking for himself?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
01 Aug 09

are you against independent thinking as well?

what is your atheist book of choice?
its much better to listen to a-holes like dawkins instead of thinking for yourself, right?
Have you read anything by Dawkins?

g

Pepperland

Moves
01 Aug 09

How does reading a book prevent him from thinking for himself?
it gives him a biased point of view on religion, as well as numerous strawman arguments from which to choose.

g

Pepperland

Moves
01 Aug 09

Have you read anything by Dawkins?
yes.

have you?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
01 Aug 09

yes.

have you?
Yes.

d

Moves
01 Aug 09

Yes.
Don't let them bother you, you don't have to read it if you don't want to, they're right, look into your heart and see why you're doing this, think about all the happy times you had while practicing your religion, try to relive it go back to it like you just joined it, start over it's not too late, may the Lord help us all.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Aug 09

it gives him a biased point of view on religion, as well as numerous strawman arguments from which to choose.
I have read a lot of religious material - probably far more than atheistic material. I have read far more fiction than either of the above.
Although I am sure that my reading gives me a biased point of view, I think it is a better biased point of view than the biased point of view I would have if I remained virtually ignorant by refusing to pick up a book.
Of course books are not the only source of information, but the same principle applies to other sources.
Certainly I consider some books and some other sources of information not worth my time, but I would never refuse to read one for fear of getting a biased point of view.

d

Moves
01 Aug 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
I have read a lot of religious material - probably far more than atheistic material. I have read far more fiction than either of the above.
Although I am sure that my reading gives me a biased point of view, I think it is a better biased point of view than the biased point of view I would have if I remained virtually ignorant by refusing to pick up a boo ...[text shortened]... worth my time, but I would never refuse to read one for fear of getting a biased point of view.
I think one of the best things you could read would be; "The case for Christ", reading right now, A GREAT BOOK!!!