1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 20:31
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What advice can the panel give please?
    What exactly does "giving up being religious" mean? Does this mean, in your case, that whatever those things and conditions are that currently make you "religious" are things and conditions you can just directly decide to forgo?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 22:04
    can i ask why or is it too personal, if so, then i apologise.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 00:01
    Keep your own religon until you have no use for it.All the rest can go.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 02:27
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    its much better to listen to a-holes like dawkins instead of thinking for yourself, right?
    I have read a few of Dawkins' books and - thinking for myself - I did not reach the conslusion that he is or was an "a-hole" as you put it.

How can one think for oneself without ideas to juggle and ponder? Do you consider "thinking for oneself" to be reliant on original thoughts that no one else has thought of?

What's with this new generalissimo campaign against reading books?
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 02:39
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    are you against independent thinking as well?

what is your atheist book of choice?
    its much better to listen to a-holes like dawkins instead of thinking for yourself, right?
    Reading books doesn't contradict independent thinking.

You read books not to have someone tell you what to think but to see other views and in some cases integrate them into your own views or sometimes to solidify what you disagree with them.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 02:41
    Why be religious in the first place?

Religion is for the spiritually weak who think they can please God by their own efforts.

Except for those things proscribed in the law of God given to the Jews, religion is a system of rites, rituals, and ceremonies created by man for the purpose of making him feel like he's doing God a favor.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 03:04
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You read books not to have someone tell you what to think but to see other views and in some cases integrate them into your own views or sometimes to solidify what you disagree with them.
    I like to read things I disagree with. It either strengthens what I believe by testing it, or it results in me modifying what I believe. I think doubt is a virtue, too. I like to read in order to cultivate doubt. The intellectual curiosity of people who are very certain about what they believe, in my experience, is more often than not a facade.
  8. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 09:491 edit
    Sorry, I don't think you can.

Everybody has one.

Collins Concise Dictionary gives this as one of the definitions: Something of overwhelming importance to a person, e.g "football is his religion".

By that definition, for many atheists, THAT is their religion. It is a fanatically held world view.

In its truest sence, Christianity is not a religion (i.e. a formal set of doctrines and beliefs) but a relationship with the living Christ.

So by all means give up religion and religiousity (many RHP "Christians" would do well to also head that advice!) and get to know Christ!

In peace,

CJ
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 10:07
    Originally posted by CalJust

Everybody has one.

Collins Concise Dictionary gives this as one of the definitions: Something of overwhelming importance to a person, e.g "football is his religion".

By that definition, for many atheists, THAT is their religion. It is a fanatically held world view.

In its truest sence, Christianity is not a religion ...[text shortened]... stians" would do well to also head that advice!) and get to know Christ!

In peace,

CJ
    In its truest sence, Christianity is not a religion (i.e. a formal set of doctrines and beliefs) but a relationship with the living Christ.

In its truest sense, Judaism is not a religion (i.e. a formal set of doctrines and beliefs) but a relationship with the living G-d.
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 10:57
    good idea, stop being religous and start being spiritual, you'll enjoy that a whole lot more.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 13:17

Everybody has one.

In its truest sence, Christianity is not a religion ...[text shortened]... stians" would do well to also head that advice!) and get to know Christ!

In peace,

CJ
    What, exactly, is this "fanatically held" world view that atheists allegedly have?
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 14:05

If Christianity is not a religion, and if everybody has a religion, then Christians must have some other religion. Aren't they thereby in violation of the First Commandment?
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 15:07
    Christianity and Judaism are religions, even though there is no point of Judaism anymore, Religion is useful, it's guidelines to HELP you have a better friendship with God, reading can help or hinder it depending on what you read.
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 17:31
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    In its truest sense, Judaism is not a religion (i.e. a formal set of doctrines and beliefs) but a relationship with the living G-d.
    Amen, Conrau, I absolutely agree with you!
  15. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    02 Aug '09 17:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What, exactly, is this "fanatically held" world view that atheists allegedly have?
    As I have said before in another thread, the need (in a "Spirituality", thread, which is a subject they deny) to denigrate others and prove that they are wrong!

Of course, you will immediately say that Christians (some, at least) also constantly try to prove others wrong.

The difference being that Christians (and Muslims, Jews, Hindus etc) believe in Spirituality, only different flavours of it, which you don't.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree