Is Atheism Dead ?

Is Atheism Dead ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
15 Nov 21

It doesn't matter if atheism is dead or not. It's just an idea.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Nov 21
1 edit

@Kevin-Eleven

You are right if the new atheists have their way. It is just a psychological state.
To the new atheists atheism is not a proposition of truth but just a psychological condition.

Moves
17 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Kevin-Eleven

You are right if the new atheists have their way. It is just a psychological state.
To the new atheists atheism is not a proposition of truth but just a psychological condition.
God or gods do not exist, however you choose to wrap it. This understanding is not dead, it's thriving.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Nov 21
3 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

God or gods do not exist, however you choose to wrap it. This understanding is not dead, it's thriving.

That is a proposition to a truth that you are unwilling to admit can be contradicted metaphysically. It is unassailable and not open to logical falsifiability. Instead you opt to alter the definition of atheism to a mere state of a person's psychology.

The reason you have followed the new atheist crowd to do this is because some of them noticed that their debates with theists and philosophers do not end up being the invincible slam dunks that they imagined they should be.

So they tweaked the definition of an atheist trying their best to jury rig debate victory into the very definition. "Atheism is the default position of the mind, the most normal, natural."

I predict that in another few years they will come up with another debate proof definition. Maybe something like -

Atheism - default and normal state of being without any tension with existence at all.

Moves
17 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

That is a proposition to a truth that you are unwilling to admit can be contradicted metaphysically. It is unassailable and not open to logical falsifiability. Instead you opt to alter the definition of atheism to a mere state of a ...[text shortened]... like -

Atheism - default and normal state of being without any tension with existence at all.
You keep babbling on about new atheism. My atheism remains as it has already remained, a complete rejection of the premise that God or gods exist.

That's it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Nov 21
2 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

So a human baby is born with "a complete rejection of the premise that God or gods exist " ?

Next you'll tell us that your atheism is defined as a lack of the ability to "babble" yourself.

Moves
18 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

So a human baby is born with "a complete rejection of the premise that God or gods exist " ?

Next you'll tell us that your atheism is defined as a lack of the ability to "babble" yourself.
I said 'my' atheism.

A baby is born with no knowledge or awareness of God or gods. There are atheists.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Nov 21
2 edits

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

So is everything that has no awareness of God or gods an atheist?

And remember you're suppose to be giving us lessons in humility. So no need to sound so proud . . . "MY atheism " like your's is special. [my caps]

Moves
18 Nov 21

@sonship

Yes, fridges are atheists.

Moves
18 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

And remember you're suppose to be giving us lessons in humility. So no need to sound so proud . . . "MY atheism " like your's is special. [my caps]
'My' atheism was to specify atheism that related to me and not necessarily all atheists.

Happy to clarify.

(And the first letter of any sentence always begins with a capital letter. I didn't capitalise the Y).

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
18 Nov 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
@sonship

Yes, fridges are atheists.
This is a poor use of the term 'atheist'. It really should be reserved for intelligent beings.

Moves
18 Nov 21

@bigdogg said
This is a poor use of the term 'atheist'. It really should be reserved for intelligent beings.
I was deploying sarcasm old chap. (Although my fridge is pretty smart).

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Nov 21

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

'My' atheism was to specify atheism that related to me and not necessarily all atheists.

Do you mean that others were born with another atheism and you in particular were born with something unique - your own different from others ?

How did you get born with a special brand?

Moves
19 Nov 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Do you mean that others were born with another atheism and you in particular were born with something unique - your own different from others ?

How did you get born with a special brand?
No.

Clearly I meant that my understanding of atheism may differ from that held by other atheists. Why is this surprising?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Nov 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It is an assertion, promoted like everything else we believe to be true or not.