Is it a sin to have sex?

Is it a sin to have sex?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by Acemaster
Right. Personally, I believe in having sex for only the purpose of having a baby. I don't believe the Bible says anything about that, but I see it as right.
So, would you ONLY have sex at times when you believed there was a high probability of your wife conceiving?

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by josephw
The answer is no! But, according to the God of the Bible, who created the institution of marriage, it is a sin (it's wrong) to have sexual relations with anyone outside of that institution. It's called fornication if you are unmarried, and adultury if you are married and have sexual relations with someone who is not your spouse.
How about just having sex with my wife with absolutely every intention of NOT making a baby?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
31 Jan 07

I've had a vasectomy deliberately so I can have sex with my wife and not conceive. Am I full of sin?

Of course, I ask this question with a glint in my eye, because I think the whole notion of denying yourself pleasures because, surely pleasure must be sinful, is idiotic and just a touch 'dark age' thinking ...

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
31 Jan 07

Right. Personally, I believe in having sex for only the purpose of having a baby. I don't believe the Bible says anything about that, but I see it as right.
wow! That is a pretty strange idea.

How old are you?

TheSkipper

G

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by Crowley
How about just having sex with my wife with absolutely every intention of NOT making a baby?
Yea. What about that?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by Crowley
If I understand your question correctly- as the man, and some will interprate this as sexist, it is your responsibility to deside when you want a child, with your wifes consent, after you both talk about it, but I can think of no circumstances when it is a sin to join with your wife.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by amannion
I've had a vasectomy deliberately so I can have sex with my wife and not conceive. Am I full of sin?

Of course, I ask this question with a glint in my eye, because I think the whole notion of denying yourself pleasures because, surely pleasure must be sinful, is idiotic and just a touch 'dark age' thinking ...
I also had a vasectomy after my 4th child. And guess what, after 13 years I had not 1 but 2 reversals, and now I have a beautiful 4 year old son. And he is the apple of my eye.

As for the second part of your post: The pleasure of sex was desined by God for us to enjoy. It's the icing on the cake , so to speak, for a man and a woman who are committed to a monogamous lifelong relationship felled with effection and trust. If you don't believe me then just ask your wife!

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by GinoJ
Yea. What about that?
GinoJ, slow down buddy, I'll get to it. And by the way, if I recall correctly, I responded to you in another thread and you never came back. But I might be mistaken.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
31 Jan 07

The answer is no! But, according to the God of the Bible, who created the institution of marriage, it is a sin (it's wrong) to have sexual relations with anyone outside of that institution. It's called fornication if you are unmarried, and adultury if you are married and have sexual relations with someone who is not your spouse.
And the penalties for these infractions?

Usual christian barbarities?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
If you are not married then yes the Bible says it is a sin. If you are married but do not plan to have babies then the sex may not be a sin but the not having babies might be. I think the Bible does promote the idea that sex is not solely for the purposes of reproduction.
If you do make a mistake however and then have an abortion then that might also be ...[text shortened]... says that Homosexual sex is a sin in an of itself, not solely because of the no children factor.
chapter and verse please

A
Checkmate 2 U!

Checkmating you!

Moves
31 Jan 07

I'm 31.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
31 Jan 07

I'm 31.
You have done well to reach that age without ever thinking for yourself. Well done, there'll be a place in braindead heaven just for you

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
31 Jan 07

I also had a vasectomy after my 4th child. And guess what, after 13 years I had not 1 but 2 reversals, and now I have a beautiful 4 year old son. And he is the apple of my eye.

As for the second part of your post: The pleasure of sex was desined by God for us to enjoy. It's the icing on the cake , so to speak, for a man and a woman who are committed to a ...[text shortened]... relationship felled with effection and trust. If you don't believe me then just ask your wife!
Congrats on your success.
As for sex being designed by god - maybe, if you're that way inclined. As an atheist I obviously look elsewhere for my explanations. Are you suggesting that the pleasure of sex is only for married couples? That would seem to be a strange setup then. Why wouldn't god just make the pleasure part of it come online after you got married? Why allow others to feel that pleasure? It would make for a much bigger incentive to get married wouldn't it, if you only got the pleasure bit afterwards.
As for myself, I enjoyed sex with my wife before and after we were married. And I still do ...

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 07

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
And the penalties for these infractions?

Usual christian barbarities?
It would seem on that on the surface of it you would have a case against Christians and Christianity when looking at the world from that perspective. But you would be grossly mistaken. I’m not at all sure how to respond to you, because I don’t know what, if anything, you know about history. You had better go back again and check your facts. For example, if all the atrocities committed by man against man were written down I think you would be hard pressed to prove that even a small fraction were committed by TRUE believers.

You are allowing your feelings to cloud your objectivity. And please, don't take my words to be meant as an offense or reprimmand. That is not my intention.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
01 Feb 07

Shhh, nobody mention the Song of Solomon.