Is Jesus too liberal for Republicans?

Is Jesus too liberal for Republicans?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
283d
2 edits

@vivify said
The wives submitting "in all subjection" comes from the NT. So does the bit about gays not inheriting kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9).

[quote]I say again, Christianity itself cannot be blamed for the evil of individual people who have used it as cover for their misdeeds. Christianity, at its heart, has given untold numbers of people purpose and hope, including me. It ...[text shortened]... ianity, like the Republican party, has changed and became the opposite of the morals they once held.
I still note this difference by talking about those who are "Christian". Those "followers" aren't Christians, they're "Christians". Republican "Christians". Evangelical "Christians". Justice Thomas is a "Christian". As you say, "ye shall know them by their fruits." But they cannot steal Christianity from Jesus by taking Jesus out of Christianity.

Speaking of knowing them by their fruits, ask a Christian what is the major responsibility of the church today. If they mention outreach to the poor, the abused, the homeless, that's Christian. If they mention some outrage like stamping out homosexuality or electing Republicans, that's "Christian".

This being said, Republicanism hasn't really changed, but it's definitely been damaged, almost beyond redemption. The same might be said about Christianity, unfortunately. It IS a reason why fewer and fewer people are staying in Christian churches. I've seen the congregation at my church lessen over the years and we now have the fewest amount of young people attending every Sunday I've seen in some time. And this has been true even though my church, the Episcopal Church of America, is perhaps one of the "more liberal" churches in the Anglican Communion.

F

Moves
283d

@suzianne said
This being said, Republicanism hasn't really changed, but it's definitely been damaged, almost beyond redemption. The same might be said about Christianity, unfortunately. It IS a reason why fewer and fewer people are staying in Christian churches. I've seen the congregation at my church lessen over the years and we now have the fewest amount of young people attending every Sunday I've seen in some time.
Are you suggesting that attendance at relatively "liberal" churches like yours ~ where I assume there is more talk of "outreach to the poor, the abused, the homeless" ~ is falling because "Republican Christians" are talking about "stamping out homosexuality"?

Moves
282d

@vivify said
If Christians were more like you and Suzianne the world would actually be a better place to live.
Lol, you’re joking, right?

Or are you just smoothing a couple of potential allies?

Moves
282d

@vivify said
No matter how heated our debates get I am relieved that there are Christians who denounce members of their faith who think like him.
Relieved?
“Who think like them”

Your post doesn’t make sense.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
282d

@divegeester said
Relieved?
“Who think like them”

Your post doesn’t make sense.
He said "him".

Making sense is easier when you can read.

S. Korea

Moves
282d

@suzianne said
Women were also condemned by Paul. Are women a sin?
St. Paul said women are bad?

St. Paul said that the Virgin Mary was born condemned as a woman?

Please, how can you blaspheme like this.

Moves
282d

@suzianne said
He said "him".

Making sense is easier when you can read.
Yes he did, thanks.

Thanks also for the childish little barb; it added so much to your clarification and underlines (in a juxtaposed way) what vivify was saying you thinking like Jesus and the world will be a much better place with more like you.

🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
279d
1 edit

@divegeester said
Yes he did, thanks.

Thanks also for the childish little barb; it added so much to your clarification and underlines (in a juxtaposed way) what vivify was saying you thinking like Jesus and the world will be a much better place with more like you.

🙂
If my posts are "childlike", yours are literally infantile.

Always crying when people disagree.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
277d

@philokalia said
St. Paul said women are bad?

St. Paul said that the Virgin Mary was born condemned as a woman?

Please, how can you blaspheme like this.
Wait. Saying that Paul said something he clearly meant, but didn't put into those exact words, blasphemy? Aren't you over-reacting just a little?

We have a poster to this very forum who believes as fact every single thing Paul said about women, and likes to spew them out whenever he can, and yet I blaspheme? Is that beam in men's eye THAT big?

Moves
277d
2 edits

@suzianne said
If my posts are "childlike", yours are literally infantile.
I didn’t say “your posts where childlike”

What was it you said earlier “Making sense is easier when you can read.”

😄

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
276d

@divegeester said
I didn’t say “your posts where childlike”

What was it you said earlier “Making sense is easier when you can read.”

😄
In my book, 'childish' and 'child-like' are the same.

Explain the difference.

F

Moves
276d

@suzianne said
In my book, 'childish' and 'child-like' are the same.

Explain the difference.
Childish usually means silly or immature and mostly points to unfavorable qualities. On the other hand, childlike means trusting or innocent and generally refers to the positive attributes of a child.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
272d

@suzianne said
However, all the nastyness of the OT is not Christianity.
What a strange and unbiblical thing to say.

"There are in all 283 direct quotations from the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) in the New Testament. In about 90 instances, the Septuagint is quoted literally."

You have also mischaracterized biblical Christianity in a number of other different statements you made in your post.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
272d

@vivify said
[youtube]VpoWKAVDiCA[/youtube]

https://newrepublic.com/post/174950/christianity-today-editor-evangelicals-call-jesus-liberal-weak

Christianity Today Editor: Evangelicals Call Jesus “Liberal” and “Weak”

A former evangelical leader is sounding the alarm about the direction his religion is headed in.

The editor in chief of Christianity Today is warning t ...[text shortened]... where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we’re in a crisis.”
It isn't that Jesus is too liberal for Republicans or too conservative for Democrats, it is that Jesus is the Lord is why everyone is upset with Him.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
272d

@rajk999 said
Name one false claim.
Everything you post is rife with heresy, baring the scriptures you quote, but even the Devil can quote scripture.

I've read everything you've said over the years, and none of it is worth replying to.

Your error has been explained to you.