Is Salvation a free gift?

Is Salvation a free gift?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by Badwater
Umm - why do I need to raise someone from the dead? Why did I need to believe that some guy named Jesus of Nazareth (if he existed) resurrected?

Your position is borne of gross ignorance. As you don't know, the Gnostics didn't believe so much in the literal resurrection of Jesus, they saw it more as a metaphor. They were early Christians, too.

Because ...[text shortened]... eligion. But - I don't necessarily agree with his premise. By understanding, however, I gain.
O.K. So we dont believe in the flood, we dont believe in the resurection of Jesus. What exactly do you believe in and where do you draw your lines between what is lies and the truth? Of course I have gross ignorance towards the Bible and why not when basically it is one big lie?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by WWindmill
O.K. So we dont believe in the flood, we dont believe in the resurection of Jesus. What exactly do you believe in and where do you draw your lines between what is lies and the truth? Of course I have gross ignorance towards the Bible and why not when basically it is one big lie?
Do you believe that metaphors are lies?

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
Do you believe that metaphors are lies?
That is a pretty big metaphor isnt it. A man who predicts his own death and the cirumstances surrounding it, gets betrayed, beaten and whipped and then hung out on the cross only to raise himself back from the dead to save mankind.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

So tell us then what that metaphor is meant to be from the Bible? Jesus never really walked the earth?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Jun 08
1 edit

That is a pretty big metaphor isnt it. A man who predicts his own death and the cirumstances surrounding it, gets betrayed, beaten and whipped and then hung out on the cross only to raise himself back from the dead to save mankind.
The gnostics (that Badwater refers to) only regarded the resurrection as a metaphor. Perhaps the rest of the gospel narrative was not metaphorical.

If that is the case, is the metaphor a lie?

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

The gnostics (that Badwater refers to) only regaded the resurrection as a metaphor. Perhaps the rest of the gospel narrative was not metaphorical.

If that is the case, is the metaphor a lie?
Im lost. If it is a metaphor then the life of Jesus is invalid.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

O.K. So no flood, no resurrection of Jesus and now no life of Jesus. What is left!? An empty book which is one big LIEEEEE!!!

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

Im glad I tore my one up into a million pieces and sent it to the dump where it belongs. At least it will have some REAL purpose as manure.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Jun 08

Im lost. If it is a metaphor then the life of Jesus is invalid.
So because the gnostics interpret the gospel account of the resurrection as a metaphor, then the life of Jesus must be "invalid" (whatever that means)?

Could it be the case that Jesus died, as the Passion narratives record, and was "resurrected" in a metaphorical sense which the gnostics believe?

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

So because the gnostics interpret the gospel account of the resurrection as a metaphor, then the life of Jesus must be "invalid" (whatever that means)?

Could it be the case that Jesus died, as the Passion narratives record, and was "resurrected" in a metaphorical sense which the gnostics believe?
You better add to your list then the 1000 miracles that Jesus performed making his entire life invalid.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

So if you believe it is a metaphor then what of the people who saw him after he returned from the dead? They didnt really see HIM? Is that all a metaphor aswell?

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

O.K. So the flood never happened, Jesus didnt really rise from the dead and people never saw him after the fact and his entire life is a lie. Whats left then? Nothing but manure for the garden.

Moves
24 Jun 08

I could respond to your queries, but it would not answer your questions. You are not understanding what is said. You are as the blind asking me what the color 'red' is. Besides, I can't answer your questions, only you can. That is at the essense of the spiritual self and spiritual truth.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by Badwater
I could respond to your queries, but it would not answer your questions. You are not understanding what is said. You are as the blind asking me what the color 'red' is. Besides, I can't answer your questions, only you can. That is at the essense of the spiritual self and spiritual truth.
LIIIEEEESSSS!!!

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

So how did the gnostics get around the many people who sited Jesus after he died and rose from the dead? Maybe the metaphor is he didnt really die but had a really bad cold which he made a come-back from?

LLLLIIIIEEESSSSS!!!