Is sin a real thing?

Is sin a real thing?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Apr 23

@moonbus said
Yes, evil is real. Burning witches, millions of them during the middle ages, was evil. Saudi Arabia is still doing it. It is still evil.

Yet the book you call the inerrant Word of God once commanded that people to do this and they really did this. Never mind that there was allegedly another convenient which allegedly rescinded it. It was once commanded by a god-figure you profess to be absolutely good that people do this.
Exactly what do you use to identify what is evil from good, your feelings?

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
A satisfactory definition has already been offered in this thread. No need to repeat it here.

F

Moves
17 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
You have been offered a definition but you have been blanking it out for 12 pages.

F

Moves
17 Apr 23

@moonbus said
I take it that he still believes it to be the inerrant Word of God, if not complete and exclusive. The inerrancy of scripture is, after all, one of the Five Solas. Scripture is also held to be complete for the salvation of man, though not necessarily complete in the sense of being an exhaustive encyclopedia of how everything in the universe works. That at least some bi ...[text shortened]... ce, it is not the exclusive Word of God and no reasonable person would or should think it is.
The self-debilitatingly prideful KellyJay conceded that the Bible is NOT the “inerrant, complete, and exclusive” word of God a few months ago when he got boxed in by divegeester and did not want to admit he had contradicted himself in some of his impenetrably inarticulate generic screeds. This is one of the reasons - I think - why KellyJay is now sulking like an adolescent and not talking to divegeester.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Apr 23

@divegeester said
This is an example of what FMF referred to earlier as you being “dishonest”. You know exactly what point Moonbus is making but you are dishonesty pretending not to.

Exodus 22:18 “You shall not suffer a witch to live” Is an example of dozens and dozens of OT codes of morality which have “evolved” in terms of one covenant to another.

Let me be more specific…
...[text shortened]... moonbus’ point and it’s absolutely clear why you are dishonesty pretending you don’t understand it.
Spot on.

F

Moves
17 Apr 23

@moonbus
You have also been boxing in KellyJay in a way that reveals the degree to which he is not conversing in good faith. So, you may well soon be getting the silent treatment too.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Apr 23
1 edit

@fmf said
The self-debilitatingly prideful KellyJay conceded that the Bible is NOT the “inerrant, complete, and exclusive” word of God a few months ago when he got boxed in by divegeester and did not want to admit he had contradicted himself in some of his impenetrably inarticulate generic screeds. This is one of the reasons - I think - why KellyJay is now sulking like an adolescent and not talking to divegeester.
This isn't a discussion thread for spiritual issues; KJ is just dodging questions, parroting his dogma, and can't (or won't) entertain a hypothetical question. I think it's time for me bow out. Thanks for your and Dive's contributions. I think we are all agreed that evil is real, but no one seriously doubted that anyway. Pointless question, IMO.

F

Moves
17 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
Evil is it real?
Yes. "Evil" is an egregious, gratuitous, sociopathic action that is gravely detrimental /damaging to others, and which stems from an abject lack or even absence of empathy and compassion. Are such behaviours "real"? Yes, of course.

F

Moves
17 Apr 23

@KellyJay
According to your OWN beliefs, do you think any of your intellectual behaviour on this thread has been "evil"?

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
17 Apr 23

@moonbus said
I take it that he still believes it to be the inerrant Word of God, if not complete and exclusive.
Well we don’t know what kellyjay believes in that specific point as after my extracting his acknowledgment of the more general “not the inerrant, exclusive and complete word if god” Kellyjay immediately stopped talking to me.

Again.

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Apr 23

@divegeester said
Well we don’t know what kellyjay believes in that specific point as after my extracting his acknowledgment of the more general “not the inerrant, exclusive and complete word if god” Kellyjay immediately stopped talking to me.

Again.
“not the inerrant, exclusive and complete word if [sic] god”

Sometimes a typo says more than you meant.
😵

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
18 Apr 23
2 edits

@moonbus said
“not the inerrant, exclusive and complete word if [sic] god”

Sometimes a typo says more than you meant.
😵
To do what is selfish over good is evil, the degrees don't change that, it is nonetheless what happens when we put ourselves over others or turn others into objects for our consumption be it to have power over them, use them physically, or to lust over for our viewing pleasures.

I have no problem saying that the scriptures are the Word of God and as such they take on the authority that has over us. God is not only sovereign, but good, righteous, holy, and just, and the author of all of these things the Creator. God is the standard of goodness rejecting Him to do what we will be acting out of an evil heart. Setting ourselves up over our very Creator and the one who also sustains our very existence.

I've asked you where evil has come from with your worldview since it isn't a matter of chemistry or logic and nothing! You have said that we evolved but cannot produce anything that says how or why. You ignore those questions as if they don't matter, but they are like a huge amount of other things you cannot explain, you are okay with that as if the origin has nothing to do with the present or the future.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
18 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
I have no problem saying that the scriptures are the Word of God and as such they take on the authority that has over us.
Do you still stand by your recent acknowledgment that the bible is NOT the “inerrant, complete and exclusive” word of God?

F

Moves
18 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
I've asked you where evil has come from with your worldview since it isn't a matter of chemistry or logic and nothing!
"Evil" is an adjective that describes certain damaging behaviours. It doesn't "come from" anywhere.

F

Moves
18 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
You have said that we evolved but cannot produce anything that says how or why.
"How"? Trial and error and a sense of cause and consequence processed by the human consciousness along with its capacity for abstraction, all taking place over hundreds of thousands of years.

"Why"? Because it was in humans' own interests as communal creatures and because it made groups more likely to survive ~ and then be able to pass their gathered knowledge and evolving values to the next generation.