Is sin a real thing?

Is sin a real thing?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Apr 23

@moonbus said
You put a lot of rubbish into other people’s mouths. Which says a lot about you, and nothing about me.
I can never quite put my finger on whether he does it because he simply isn't bright enough to talk to you properly or whether he is just a rather nasty dishonest man. He claims to be just as "evil" as a rapist. I wonder if he thinks he is being "evil" in this conversation with you.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Apr 23

@moonbus said
“What you are doing is saying that … “. You put a lot of rubbish into other people’s mouths. Which says a lot about you, and nothing about me.

Selfless love is just as real as you make it.
You are saying that this behavior is human behavior we have been doing it for millions of years, so how am I putting those words into your mouth you have said them? You have talked about our morality coming about by evolution have you not, did I put those words in your mouth or did you say them?

If I have misunderstood you clear it up, how is it that it came about that we define good and love as we do? Not chemicals, not reasoning, so what about it?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Apr 23

@fmf said
I can never quite put my finger on whether he does it because he simply isn't bright enough to talk to you properly or whether he is just a rather nasty dishonest man.
It’s a bit of both imo.

F

Moves
16 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
You are saying that this behavior is human behavior we have been doing it for millions of years, so how am I putting those words into your mouth you have said them? You have talked about our morality coming about by evolution have you not, did I put those words in your mouth or did you say them?

If I have misunderstood you clear it up, how is it that it came about that we define good and love as we do? Not chemicals, not reasoning, so what about it?
Not all immoral actions are "evil".

You are pretending not to have read/understood what people have posted.

F

Moves
16 Apr 23

@KellyJay
Why can't you discuss things in good faith? Why pretend to not know what others have actually said? What's with all the strawmen?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
16 Apr 23

@kellyjay said how is it that it came about that we define good and love as we do? Not chemicals, not reasoning, so what about it?
People all over the world define “good” and “love” differently.

Why do you think that is?

Über-Nerd

Moves
16 Apr 23

@kellyjay said

These are your words:

Judging others' hearts you are doing when you see all evil we are doing to one another in the here and now, and blowing it off as normal no big deal stuff, which I'm quite sure if someone does something to you and those you care about that you judge that to be wrong and could go to evil rather quickly. I'm just as sure if you were to do something to someone else you'd find an excuse for why it was okay when you did it.

What you are doing is saying that type of behavior is normal human activity throughout all time in every culture, in every period in time, in every society, it isn't a defect its normal human nature. Your explanation for it is it's always been there we got to eat. While good behavior you have a difficult time explaining, it isn't chemically produced, so you suggest it's a learned trait by claiming what, we selfishly thought about life and selfishness produced goodness, because we saw advantages to ourselves?

That is you attributing ideas to me. These are neither my words nor my ideas.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Apr 23

@moonbus said
These are your words:

Judging others' hearts you are doing when you see all evil we are doing to one another in the here and now, and blowing it off as normal no big deal stuff, which I'm quite sure if someone does something to you and those you care about that you judge that to be wrong and could go to evil rather quickly. I'm just as sure if you were to do something t ...[text shortened]... s to ourselves?

That is you attributing ideas to me. These are neither my words nor my ideas.
You have said the things we are doing, we have been doing for millions of years, did I make that up or did it come from you? You have talked about how we evolved to care for one another, this puts morality on an evolutionary track, a flow in the normal process which moves the bar on our caring as time goes by not something more static where love is defined by caring for the other above one's self. Now, if you care to tell me how this progression occurred since it wasn't chemical, and selfishness couldn't produce it, I'd be happy to hear you out.

I think you are going to run into a doctrinal issue, however, not mine but yours. All doctrine is a set of ideas or beliefs that are fundamentally true it isn't narrowed to just Christian beliefs, and you talk about millions of years where we are evolving. Where did your views of good and evil come from? Is this one of those reasons why you don't like speaking about beginnings, why it doesn't interest you?

If the bad and evil things we do are just part of our evolution why would they be any more or less important than the good we do, we are after all evolving. Lions eat their prey, people take what they want no matter how much it harms another, and people harm others for the joy of watching them suffer, these are things humans do. If what people do can be evil, and you recognize it as evil, not good, where did your yardstick come from to figure these things out? A sliding evolutionary scale of right and wrong is a fluid means of measuring things, what could be good today, could be wrong tomorrow. You accept that or do you accept evil is evil good is good and time will not change that, time only alters our opinions.

F

Moves
16 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
A sliding evolutionary scale of right and wrong is a fluid means of measuring things, what could be good today, could be wrong tomorrow. You accept that or do you accept evil is evil good is good and time will not change that, time only alters our opinions.
It is only your opinion that you are equally as "evil" as a rapist. So opinions about the nature and incidence of "evil" differ. It is my opinion that the word "evil" is meaningless when it is used in the way you use it. In your opinion, being "angry with one's brother" is just as "evil" as mudering somone. I disagree. Opinions differ.

Über-Nerd

Moves
16 Apr 23
1 edit

@kellyjay said
You have said the things we are doing, we have been doing for millions of years, did I make that up or did it come from you? You have talked about how we evolved to care for one another, this puts morality on an evolutionary track, a flow in the normal process which moves the bar on our caring as time goes by not something more static where love is defined by caring for the ...[text shortened]... o you accept evil is evil good is good and time will not change that, time only alters our opinions.
Ex, 22:18. Is that still valid, in your opinion? If not, you prove my point, that we evolve, not only physically but also morally. Values are changing, facts don’t.

F

Moves
16 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
Where did your views of good and evil come from?
They come from "nurture" mostly but there is the hard-to-quantify "nature" factor too.

F

Moves
16 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
Lions eat their prey, people take what they want no matter how much it harms another, and people harm others for the joy of watching them suffer, these are things humans do.
No one is denying that sometimes some people do "evil" things.

F

Moves
16 Apr 23

@kellyjay said
I think you are going to run into a doctrinal issue, however, not mine but yours. All doctrine is a set of ideas or beliefs that are fundamentally true it isn't narrowed to just Christian beliefs, and you talk about millions of years where we are evolving. Where did your views of good and evil come from?
Do you think it is "evil" to execute someone for being a homosexual? Do you think it is "evil" to own another human being as chattel ? Has the answer to these question changed over the last few thousand years?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Apr 23

@moonbus said
Ex, 22:18. Is that still valid, in your opinion? If not, you prove my point, that we evolve, not only physically but also morally. Values are changing, facts don’t.
Exactly what point are you attempting to make by quoting that OT verse?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Apr 23

@moonbus said
Covenants don't evolve they are made.