1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:121 edit
    @FMF

It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to, has power over you, if you allow it.

The mind of course plays a crucial part in why people have different opinions about all kinds of matters. That would include world views, philosophies, and religious beliefs.

I think being captive or kind of enslaved to something in the mind can cause some people to live in the past their whole life.
    Certain events they continually look back to and remember how they felt.

Some cases of perpetual offense or woundedness enslave them. Conversations with them often regard attention being drawn to past encounters which seem like fresh offenses never to be forgotten.

In this case Brown's quote is apt.

“Bitterness is a result of clinging to negative experiences. It serves you no good, and closes the door to your future.”
    ― Leon Brown
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:15
    @sonship said
    I think being captive or kind of enslaved to something in the mind can cause some people to live in the past their whole life.
    Do you think Muslims for example are "enslaved to something in the mind" and that Christians are not?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:16
    @sonship said
    “Bitterness is a result of clinging to negative experiences. It serves you no good, and closes the door to your future.”
    You already put this one to me and I responded. But you blanked out my response. You want me to respond again? What about when I responded before?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:18
    @sonship said
    Some cases of perpetual offense or woundedness enslave them. Conversations with them often regard attention being drawn to past encounters which seem like fresh offenses never to be forgotten.
    What is "perpetual offence"? Can you give an example of it? And what are "fresh offences"? Are you sure you're addressing the OP?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:20
    @sonship said
    Certain events they continually look back to and remember how they felt.
    "...some people to live in the past their whole life. Certain events they continually look back to and remember how they felt.

Is this not a mental mode that Christians can slip into? Does this apply to all religions?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:32
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

Another wise word from L, Brown, who I never heard of before.

― Leon Brown

From https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3213972.Leon_Brown
    If you have a point, plainly state it.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:39
    “It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to has power over you.”
    ― Leon Brown

“Let people do what they need to do to make them happy.
    Mind your own business, and do what you need to do to make you happy.”
    ― Leon Brown
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:44
    @thinkofone said
    In so far as he has aimed it at me, he seems to want to depict my interest in Christians and their doctrine as being somehow illegitimate because of 'anger about the past'. He's been trying for years ~ particularly the last 2+ years. Arguments and observations and questions in debates and discussions have so often been met with point-avoiding remarks about "anger" and "bitterness". He seemingly always has to poison the well and in the course of doing that he has to completely ignore the positive and not-regretful things I have so often said about my years as a Christian. The important thing for him is that my dissent is tainted. He seeks to taint it.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:53
    @fmf said
    In so far as he has aimed it at me, he seems to want to depict my interest in Christians and their doctrine as being somehow illegitimate because of 'anger about the past'. He's been trying for years ~ particularly the last 2+ years. Arguments and observations and questions in debates and discussions have so often been met with point-avoiding remarks about "anger" and "bitterness ...[text shortened]... ars as a Christian. The important thing for him is that my dissent is tainted. He seeks to taint it.
    It's quite possible that that was what jaywill had in mind. However his post does begin with "@ThinkOfOne".
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 03:57
    @thinkofone said
    It's quite possible that that was what jaywill had in mind. However his post does begin with "@ThinkOfOne".
    He directed the same quote at me, as you will see. That's why I said: "In so far as the same quote is aimed at me...". You're right, he may have the same bank-of-white phosphorous ad hominem in mind for you. >>> 'No need to engage idea and/or argument: file under "bitterness": debate and discussion not needed'.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 11:37
    @ThinkOfOne

If you have a point there's no need to always put it in the form of a question.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 11:38
    @FMF

Is this not a mental mode that Christians can slip into? Does this apply to all religions?

If you have a point there's no need to always put it in the form of a question.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 11:40
    @FMF

What is "perpetual offence"? Can you give an example of it? And what are "fresh offences"? Are you sure you're addressing the OP?

it is an example of the trouble one can get into when everything begins and ends in the mind.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 11:421 edit
    @FMF

Do you think Muslims for example are "enslaved to something in the mind" and that Christians are not?

If you have a point you do not always have to package it in the form of an inquisitive sounding question.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 11:43
    @FMF

Your thoughts on this?

You asked and I gave some - "thoughts on this."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree