It desires to have you

It desires to have you

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
05 May 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Either God is the measure of good or good is merely based upon your own subjective opinions of what is good. Apart from the existence of God, 'good' is meaninglessly subjective. If God exists He is the measure of good, if he doesn't it's merely your measure of good vs my measure of good which is totally worthless.
A predictable answer.

I am not judging God by my own standards, but by His own, laid out in the manner He wants His creation to behave.

There are frequent examples in the OT of God effectively saying, 'do as I say, not as I do.'

Why doesn't the OT God lead by example?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 May 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
You believe the behaviour of God in the Old Testament is both good and sinless?!

(Sure you want to open that can of worms?)
He is the same God in the OT as the NT, and He does not change. The difference between the two are the covenants or lack there of. His putting up with our sinful nature revolves around the covenants.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 May 17

A predictable answer.

I am not judging God by my own standards, but by His own, laid out in the manner He wants His creation to behave.

There are frequent examples in the OT of God effectively saying, 'do as I say, not as I do.'

You are judging God by the standards that he has set for mankind, he is obviously not our equal. He has the ability to give life, we don't.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 May 17

A predictable answer.

He keeps His Word and does what He says. I'd say He does lead by example.

Moves
05 May 17

You are judging God by the standards that he has set for mankind, he is obviously not our equal. He has the ability to give life, we don't.
Again, why does the OT God not lead by example?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 May 17

Again, why does the OT God not lead by example?
Give me a scenario where you think He does not lead by example.

Moves
05 May 17

Originally posted by KellyJay
He keeps His Word and does what He says. I'd say He does lead by example.
I think not.

You'd actually be better off distancing yourself from the jealous and petty OT God and focusing on the completely different God found in the NT.

Moves
05 May 17

Give me a scenario where you think He does not lead by example.
Here's 5:

1. God drowns the whole earth.
In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and perhaps unicorns. Only a single family survives. In Matthew 24:37-42, gentle Jesus approves of this genocide and plans to repeat it when he returns.

2. God kills half a million people.
In 2 Chronicles 13:15-18, God helps the men of Judah kill 500,000 of their fellow Israelites.

3. God slaughters all Egyptian firstborn.
In Exodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn.

4. God kills 14,000 people for complaining that God keeps killing them.
In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.

5. Genocide after genocide after genocide.
In Joshua 6:20-21, God helps the Israelites destroy Jericho, killing “men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys.” In Deuteronomy 2:32-35, God has the Israelites kill everyone in Heshbon, including children. In Deuteronomy 3:3-7, God has the Israelites do the same to the people of Bashan. In Numbers 31:7-18, the Israelites kill all the Midianites except for the virgins, whom they take as spoils of war. In 1 Samuel 15:1-9, God tells the Israelites to kill all the Amalekites – men, women, children, infants, and their cattle – for something the Amalekites’ ancestors had done 400 years earlier.

http://commonsenseatheism.com/

c

Moves
05 May 17

A predictable answer.

I must agree with you here.

In the OT, God not only displays emotions such as anger and jealousy, but He also acts on those emotions by destroying people and cities.

In the human world, if someone acted as God has, they would be advised to seek help.

I often wonder if religous leaders realized this, and saw a need for a 'new image' of God, thus Jesus and the NT.

The Bible is quite confusing in the overall message we are supposed to get, with trying to understand the character of our Creator.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 May 17

Here's 5:

In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and perhaps unicorns. Only a single family survives. In Matthew 24:37-42, gentle Jesus approves of this genocide and plans to repeat it when he returns.

In 2 Chronicles ...[text shortened]... omething the Amalekites’ ancestors had done 400 years earlier.

So according to you God has no right to take a life which he has given, for any reason at all? Is that correct?

The way I see it God has every right to take a life that he has given, for whatever reason he chooses. He is God and knows best, we are not his equals and we are in no position to judge Him.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 May 17

I think not.

You'd actually be better off distancing yourself from the jealous and petty OT God and focusing on the completely different God found in the NT.
Please put up or ....

Moves
05 May 17

Originally posted by chaney3
I must agree with you here.

In the OT, God not only displays emotions such as anger and jealousy, but He also acts on those emotions by destroying people and cities.

In the human world, if someone acted as God has, they would be advised to seek help.

I often wonder if religous leaders realized this, and saw a need for a 'new image' of God, thus Je ...[text shortened]... overall message we are supposed to get, with trying to understand the character of our Creator.
The confusion comes from the fact that the bible was written by many different authors over many different centuries,.....none of them inspired by God.

There is no unifying overall message.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 May 17

Here's 5:

In 2 Chronicles ...[text shortened]... omething the Amalekites’ ancestors had done 400 years earlier.

God has set a time for everyone of us to die, so what about those are wrong?

Moves
05 May 17

Originally posted by KellyJay
Please put up or ....
Scroll up sir to the 5 examples I gave Fetchmyjunk. Does that correlate with the God of the NT?

Moves
05 May 17

So according to you God has no right to take a life which he has given, for any reason at all? Is that correct?

The way I see it God has every right to take a life that he has given, for whatever reason he chooses. He is God and knows best, we are not his equals and we are in no position to judge Him.
4. God kills 14,000 people for complaining that God keeps killing them.
In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.

So, you're cool with that?