1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 06:40
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I'd cry for you. Especially if you go for the ankles or other such places.

Well, I can agree with Jesus then. I think we'd have a good fight! I love my karate training!
    Well, Jesus clearly would do Tai Chi. It’s meditative and deeply spiritual...

Of course, it also has its martial applications... “Step back and repulse monkey.”
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 14:33
    Originally posted by frtheo
    will you meet me in the colosseum, shav?
    You'll be the one crying into your bong?
  3. London
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 15:49
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Well, Jesus clearly would do Tai Chi. It’s meditative and deeply spiritual...
    No way. The Father clearly loves wrestling and the Son follows in His path.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 15:54
    Originally posted by frtheo
    will you meet me in the colosseum, shav? or, are you simply another coward behind the keyboard? come and punch me; at least, try ... or better, i'll be in amsterdam in november. let's meet there. will I meet you or only more hot air?
    I'll take up the challenge.
    Order your coffin, 'cause you're going down like Jesus at a trial.
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 16:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I'll take up the challenge.
    Order your coffin, 'cause you're going down like Jesus at a trial.
    Will he rise up after you have taken him down like Jesus on the cross....?
  6. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 16:41
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    It's never fun to kick the willing.
    That doesn't seem to be the case with many older karate instructors in my experience. They're quite happy to kick the willing, even for pure pleasure.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 18:13
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    No way. The Father clearly loves wrestling and the Son follows in His path.
    Well, since Israel really means “one who wrestles with God,” you are scripturally on the mark, even without any Hellenistic influence...
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:36
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    That doesn't seem to be the case with many older karate instructors in my experience. They're quite happy to kick the willing, even for pure pleasure.
    You've trained with Masahiko "don't like your ribs? Let me help" Tanaka, right?
  9. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 14:271 edit
    You've trained with Masahiko "don't like your ribs? Let me help" Tanaka, right?
    Tanaka is not a nice guy (the guys I know who've trained with him describe him as a Japanese redneck). Neither was the late Tetsuhiko Asai. Neither, for that matter, was Takayuki Mikami, who oversaw the region I trained in.

The worst of them (and, coincidentally, the most fearsome karateka) is Mikio Yahara, who not only has no concept of san-dome in kihon or sparring, but who was widely reputed to be a yakuza enforcer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikio_Yahara

The JKA/ISKF was my org. It was amusing that the dojo kun was such a central part of the experience, with its questionably translated imperative "refrain from violent behavior," while many of the top practitioners have been associated with gangsters in some way.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 14:373 edits
    Tanaka is not a nice guy (the guys I know who've trained with him describe him as a Japanese redneck). Neither was the late Tetsuhiko Asai. Neither, for that matter, was Takayuki Mikami, who oversaw the region I trained in.

The worst of them (and, coincidentally, the most fearsome karateka) is Mikio Yahara, who not only has no concept of san-dome in ki havior," while many of the top practitioners have been associated with gangsters in some way.
    I had the opportunity to train with Tanaka in NZ earlier this year, but I couldn't get the time off work. Never mind, I've subsequently moved to Japan where I train under a (JKA) 7th Dan, Seiichi Ohama. Hopefully, I'll get to train under a few of the greats (Tanaka (arguably the greatest fighter in the JKA ever, and a qualified veterinarian), Osaka (a la "Best Karate"😉 and Ueki (current #2 at JKA Tokyo)) whilst I'm here, maybe test for ni, then san-dan.

As for Yahara, well, you heard the story about his "encounter" with about 30 junior Yakuza? I think he laid about a dozen out before the rest fled. He has a personal security business (for VIPs and the like) in Tokyo.

What's Mikami like to train under? I've heard good things!
    I guess you'll just be either JKA (under Mori?) or ISKF under Nishiyama soon?

[edit; I just looked up your moniker... 😞 )
  11. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 15:05
    I had the opportunity to train with Tanaka in NZ earlier this year, but I couldn't get the time off work. Never mind, I've subsequently moved to Japan where I train under a (JKA) 7th Dan, Seiichi Ohama. Hopefully, I'll get to train under a few of the greats (Tanaka (arguably the greatest fighter in the JKA ever, and a qualified veterinarian), Osaka (a ...[text shortened]... i?) or ISKF under Nishiyama soon?

[edit; I just looked up your moniker... 😞 )
    Ahh, you should have mentioned all this before I brought up "Kick An Atheist For Jesus Day" -- luckily "Tell An Atheist A Stupid Joke For Jesus Day" is coming up...
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 15:16
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Ahh, you should have mentioned all this before I brought up "Kick An Atheist For Jesus Day" -- luckily "Tell An Atheist A Stupid Joke For Jesus Day" is coming up...
    ha ha! Don't worry, neither my legs nor my finances stretch that far.

Especially my legs. 😳
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 15:37
    ha ha! Don't worry, neither my legs nor my finances stretch that far.

Especially my legs. 😳
    Well, maybe next year 😉
  14. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 18:041 edit
    What's Mikami like to train under? I've heard good things!
    I guess you'll just be either JKA (under Mori?) or ISKF under Nishiyama soon?
    Actually, I don't train anymore. I did it for about five years. I was a few months away from testing for nidan.

I trained in Alabama and North Carolina. I only saw Mikami for belt tests and training camps (his regional HQ is in Louisiana). He never really taught anything that our own teacher couldn't teach better. I studied in his region for two-and-a-half years. Then, when I moved to NC, I was in Takashina's region. I started a club at my university, which incidentally continues to this day. I've looked up their website!

Re: Mikami - He's known for his emphasis on basics. Kihon, all the day long. OTOH, that's hardly unique to him. He's not known as a vicious fighter, like Tanaka, or Enoeda. Sure, he tied with Kanazawa for the first All-Japan Championship title, but there's not much press outside that concerning him.

For my money, the smartest, best approach to karate is that you'll find advocated by Rob Redmond (AKA 24 Fighting Chickens). In the late 90s I was part of a usenet group with him and some other guys. He's JKA, and has gone and done the whole "train in Japan for two years" thing, and has some enlightening things to say. I went to his dojo some years ago and spent a Saturday morning training just with him. A great guy.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/

EDIT: Rob's not JKA, actually -- I should say that his karate is very much mainline JKA form.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 18:16
    Actually, I don't train anymore. I did it for about five years. I was a few months away from testing for nidan.

I trained in Alabama and North Carolina. I only saw Mikami for belt tests and training camps (his regional HQ is in Louisiana). He never really taught anything that our own teacher couldn't teach better. I studied in his region for two-and-a ...[text shortened]... s not JKA, actually -- I should say that his karate is very much mainline JKA form.
    Aye, still nice to train under a few of these guys before they go the way of Enoeda.

Mikami was a contemporary of Shoji-sensei (the only guy to every get a perfect 10 at kata (and 2 (or maybe 3) time JKA champion, before a forced sabbatical from tournament karate due to a bum leg), they trained together at University.

Still, we all know Mikami isn't unique in focussing on basics, and it's hardly a bad thing (although I do sometimes feel it'd be nice to get some more advanced stuff from some of these guys, something your dojo instructor doesn't do...). Someone has to play "bad cop" and keep all our zenkutsudachis down!

I often see Rob posting on "karate underground", but I don't know him, and find his posting, whilst eminently sensible, a bit abrasive at times.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree