Are you sonship now?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 11:49
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Are you sonship now?
    Just refuting the false claim that Jesus Christ never identified Himself as God.

I suspect there are plenty of verses/passages I’m missing so hope to add to this list in the future when I get around to reading the Gospels again.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 12:16
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Are you sonship now?
    Are you smoking something new?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 13:18
    Not only dies Jesus identify Himself as God but God identifies Himself as man.

Not only so, but the mingling of God and man is for eternity. The Unitarian error is that it is temporary.

They do not understand how happy God is to dispense Himself into humanity for this mingling.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 14:00
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Not only dies Jesus identify Himself as God but God identifies Himself as man.

Not only so, but the mingling of God and man is for eternity. The Unitarian error is that it is temporary.

They do not understand how happy God is to dispense Himself into humanity for this mingling.
    The irony is, you're advocating Buddhism and don't even realize it.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 14:182 edits
    1. Matthew 24:36
    'No one knows about that day or hour, not even the Son, but the Father only.'
    Here Jesus makes a distinction between what he knows and what the Father knows.

2. Matthew 26:39
    'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me, yet not as I will, but as Thou will. '
    Jesus’ will is likewise autonomous from God’s Will. Jesus is seeking acquiescence to God’s will.

3. John 5:26
    'For as the Father has life in Himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.'
    Jesus received his life from God. God received his life from no one. He is eternally self-existent.

4. John 5:30
    'By myself, I can do nothing: I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who has sent me.'
    Jesus says, “by myself, I can do nothing.” This indicates that Jesus is relying upon his own relationship with God. He is not trying to “please myself” but rather is seeking to “please the one who sent me.”

5. John 5:19
    'The Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees the Father doing, because whatever the Father does, the Son does also.'
    Jesus declares that he is following a pattern laid down by God. He is expressing obedience to God.

6. Mark 10:18
    'Why do you call me good? No one is good, except God alone.'
    Here Jesus emphatically makes a distinction between himself and God.

7. John 14:28
    'The Father is greater than I.'
    This is another strong statement that makes a distinction between Jesus and God.

8. Matthew 6:9
    'Our Father, which art in Heaven.'
    He didn’t pray, Our Father, which art standing right here!”

9. Matthew 27:46
    'My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?'
    Inconceivable if he is God the Creator.

10. John 17:21-23
    '. . .that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. . ..that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me.'
    In this prayer Jesus defines the term “to be one.” It is clearly accomplished through the relationship of two autonomous beings. Christian believers are to model their relationship (to become one) after the relationship of God and Christ (as God and Christ are one). Notice that “to be one” does not mean to be “one and the same.”

11. 1 Corinthians 15:27-28
    'For he "has put everything under his feet." Now when it says that "everything" has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.'
    Paul declares that God put everything under Christ, except God himself. Instead God rules all things through Christ. (remember: “through him all things were made.” )

12. Hebrews 1:3
    The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being.'
    Jesus is the exact representation of his being. I send my representative to Congress. He is not me, myself. He is my representative.

www.interfaith.org/community/threads/11508/

EDIT: I could have spammed these over 12 separate posts, but couldn't be bothered.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 18:292 edits
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    There are not a lot of verses and passages in the Bible where Jesus identifies Himself as God but they do exist. Some are fairly direct; others are interesting in their ambiguity.
    There are none wherein Jesus actually identifies Himself as God. Wherein Jesus claims to be literally God.

Yes, he claims to be "son of God". But He calls for His followers to become "sons of God" as He is a son of God (Matthew 5:9).

Yes, He claims to be "one" with God. But He calls for His followers to become "one" with God as He is "one" with God (John 17:20-23)

Do you believe that His followers that do so are also literally God?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 18:34
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me, yet not as I will, but as Thou will. '
    Jesus’ will is likewise autonomous from God’s W ...[text shortened]... 11508/

EDIT: I could have spammed these over 12 separate posts, but couldn't be bothered.
    Calling Biblical passages “spam?”

Why do they upset you so much?

Regarding the verses you identified, do you realize when Jesus took on flesh, He was fully God and fully man and was consequently “a little lower than the angels?”

Obviously, the status of being “a little lower than the angels” is not the same status as God the Father, nor the same status Jesus had before He took on flesh.

“But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.”

(Hebrews 2:9)
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 18:43
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    There are none wherein Jesus actually identifies Himself as God. Wherein Jesus literally claims to be God.

Yes, he claims to be "son of God". But He calls for His followers to become "sons of God" as He is a son of God (Matthew 5:9).

Yes, He claims to be "one" with God. But He calls for His followers to become "one" with God as He is "one" with God.

Do you believe that His followers that do so are also literally God?
    Your interpretation is, to be charitable, strained given all the miracles Jesus performed, which included raising at least three people from the dead, his repeated references to coming down from heaven and being with His Father in heaven, saying that anyone who has seen Him has seen the Father, that no one knows the Father but Him, His response to the question from John the Baptist’s disciples of, “Are you he or do we look for another?” and on and on.

You refuse to see what is plain as day and want to insist that Jesus was only a man but had the authority and knowledge to say how one enters heaven.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 18:48
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

Jesus’ will is likewise autonomous from God’s W ...[text shortened]... 11508/

This is worthy of a separate comment:

<<8. Matthew 6:9
    'Our Father, which art in Heaven.'
    He didn’t pray, Our Father, which art standing right here!”>>

This backs up the concept of the Trinity. Don’t you see that? That God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son and the Holy Ghost are all God but distinct entities.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 18:50
    Your interpretation is, to be charitable, strained given all the miracles Jesus performed, which included raising at least three people from the dead, his repeated references to coming down from heaven and being with His Father in heaven, saying that anyone who has seen Him has seen the Father, that no one knows the Father but Him, His response to the qu ...[text shortened]... sist that Jesus was only a man but had the authority and knowledge to say how one enters heaven.
    I fully understand that this is the gospel that you believe.

However, it is a different gospel from the one that Jesus preached during His ministry.

The fact remains that there are no verses or passages wherein Jesus actually identifies Himself as God as claimed in your OP. Wherein Jesus claims to be literally God. If you believe that there are, then cite them already.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 18:53
    I fully understand that this is the gospel that you believe.

However, it is a different gospel from the one that Jesus preached during His ministry.

The fact remains that there are no verses or passages wherein Jesus actually identifies Himself as God as claimed in your OP. Wherein Jesus claims to be literally God. If you believe that there are, then cite them already.
    I have been citing them. You just don’t want to see them. It’s Ok.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 18:591 edit
    I have been citing them. You just don’t want to see them. It’s Ok.
    The fact remains that there are none wherein Jesus actually identifies Himself as God as you claimed in your OP. Wherein Jesus claims to be literally God. He just doesn't.

Tell you what. Pick out one that you believe is definitive and make your best case. Actually make a cogent argument.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 19:25
    The fact remains that there are none wherein Jesus actually identifies Himself as God as claimed in your OP. Wherein Jesus claims to be literally God. He just doesn't.

Tell you what. Pick out one that you believe is definitive and make your best case. Actually make a cogent argument.
    Will you ever respond to the questions I posed to you here and elsewhere? It’s difficult to have a meaningful conversation when you ignore questions that you find difficult (if not impossible) to answer because they expose your “Jesus was just a man” belief as the falsehood it is.

The verses I posted speak for themselves. You don’t have to agree with them, but you can’t credibly refute them given the totality of what Jesus said in the Gospels and what the Gospel writers reported observing.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 19:301 edit
    Will you ever respond to the questions I posed to you here and elsewhere? It’s difficult to have a meaningful conversation when you ignore questions that you find difficult (if not impossible) to answer because they expose your “Jesus was just a man” belief as the falsehood it is.

The verses I posted speak for themselves. You don’t have to agree with ...[text shortened]... n the totality of what Jesus said in the Gospels and what the Gospel writers reported observing.
    It's really simple. Pick out one that you believe is definitive and make your best case. Actually make a cogent argument.

Why are you refusing to do so? You're just making excuses for not doing so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree