1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 19:54
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    It's really simple. Pick out one that you believe is definitive and make your best case. Actually make a cogent argument.

Why are you refusing to do so? You're just making excuses for not doing so.
    Will you ever respond to the questions I posed to you here and elsewhere? It’s difficult to have a meaningful conversation when you ignore questions that you find difficult (if not impossible) to answer because they expose your “Jesus was just a man” belief as the falsehood it is.

The verses I posted speak for themselves. You don’t have to agree with them, but you can’t credibly refute them given the totality of what Jesus said in the Gospels and what the Gospel writers reported observing.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 19:58
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    The irony is, you're advocating Buddhism and don't even realize it.
    I am not invoking Buddhism.
    You are realizing that something in Buddhism possibly reminds you of the truth of the Bible.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 20:04
    Originally posted by @sonship
    You are realizing that something in Buddhism possibly reminds you of the truth of the Bible.
    Please explain why your mingling of God and man doesn't mirror the idea in Hinduism and Buddhism of man becoming part of the divine (like salt dissolving into the water).

And keep in mind this concept pre-dates the Bible.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 20:081 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Will you ever respond to the questions I posed to you here and elsewhere? It’s difficult to have a meaningful conversation when you ignore questions that you find difficult (if not impossible) to answer because they expose your “Jesus was just a man” belief as the falsehood it is.

The verses I posted speak for themselves. You don’t have to agree with ...[text shortened]... n the totality of what Jesus said in the Gospels and what the Gospel writers reported observing.
    If you choose to refuse to debate the topic of a thread that you yourself started, that's up to you. It's a curious choice, but yours to make.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 20:12
    If you choose to refuse to debate the topic of the thread you yourself started, that's up to you. It's a curious choice, but yours to make.
    He never had any intention of debating the topic of the thread. (The reason why he made 14 quick posts in a row).

It was a dump and run strategy.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 20:20
    1. Matthew 24:36
    'No one knows about that day or hour, not even the Son, but the Father only.'

This verse does not contradict that God became a man.
    It only reveals that when He acted as a limited man that aspect of His being was manifest.
    Just like He was tired.
    Just like He marveled at something in surprise.
    Just like He wept with emotion.
    Just like some detail of a situation was not revealed to Him.

Here Jesus makes a distinction between what he knows and what the Father knows.

He makes a distinction with what the Father knows which at that time had not been revealed to Him standing on His ground as a man. He did always the right thing, in the right way, at the right time.

2. Matthew 26:39
    'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me, yet not as I will, but as Thou will. '
    Jesus’ will is likewise autonomous from God’s Will. Jesus is seeking acquiescence to God’s will.

This doesn't negate His incarnation.
    It reveals that aspect of Him that was indeed human.

3. John 5:26
    'For as the Father has life in Himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.'
    Jesus received his life from God. God received his life from no one. He is eternally self-existent.

This doesn't negate the incarnation of God as a man.
    In Zechariah chapter two, Jehovah of hosts is both the Sent One and the Sender.

So we have in the OT a window into God being the Sender and simultaneously the One Sent.

"For thus says Jehovah of hosts, After the glory He has sent Me against the nations who plunder you, for he who touches you touches the pupil of His eye.

For I am now waving My hand over them, and they will be plunder for those who served them; and you will know that Jehovah of hosts has sent Me.

Give a ringing shout and rejoice, O daughter of Zion, for now I am coming, and I will dwell in your midst, declares Jehovah.

And many nations will join themselves to Jehovah in that day and will become My people; and I will dwell in your midst, and you will know that Jehovah of hosts has sent Me to you." (Zecharian 2:8-11)

The one speaking is Jehovah of hosts.
    And He says that they will know that Jehovah of hosts has sent Him. You have here a wonderful OT glimpse into the triune nature of God. God sends God.

4. John 5:30
    'By myself, I can do nothing: I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who has sent me.'
    Jesus says, “by myself, I can do nothing.” This indicates that Jesus is relying upon his own relationship with God. He is not trying to “please myself” but rather is seeking to “please the one who sent me.”

He is just at this time standing on His ground as a man.
    By saying Jesus was God is not saying because of this Jesus was not a man.

5. John 5:19
    'The Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees the Father doing, because whatever the Father does, the Son does also.'
    Jesus declares that he is following a pattern laid down by God. He is expressing obedience to God.

God can express Himself not only in absolute authority but also in terms of absolute submission TO authority.

This verse doesn't prove God did not become a man.

6. Mark 10:18
    'Why do you call me good? No one is good, except God alone.'
    Here Jesus emphatically makes a distinction between himself and God.

The implication is that if you are willing to call Him good you should be willing to call Him God. He in fact does refer to Himself in John 10 as "the good Shepherd" .
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 20:35
    He never had any intention of debating the topic of the thread. (The reason why he made 14 quick posts in a row).

It was a dump and run strategy.
    Actually I think he intended to debate it.

But with the "son of God" and "one" with God claims having been refuted, he knows, for all intents and purposes, that he has nothing left.

And as he said in the OP:
    "There are not a lot of verses and passages in the Bible where Jesus identifies Himself as God but they do exist. Some are fairly direct; others are interesting in their ambiguity."

So even from the git go, he recognized that at best he had "fairly direct" and that most were ambiguous at best.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 21:00
    Actually I think he intended to debate it.

But with the "son of God" and "one" with God claims having been refuted, he knows, for all intents and purposes, that he has nothing left.

And as he said in the OP:
    "There are not a lot of verses and passages in the Bible where Jesus identifies Himself as God but they do exist. Some are fairly direct; ot ...[text shortened]... git go, he recognized that at best he had "fairly direct" and that most were ambiguous at best.
    Not to mention the 'definitive' ones he omitted where Jesus clearly isn't God.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 22:441 edit
    Not only dies Jesus identify Himself as God but God identifies Himself as man.

Not only so, but the mingling of God and man is for eternity. The Unitarian error is that it is temporary.

They do not understand how happy God is to dispense Himself into humanity for this mingling.
    I'm happy but you wont even give me the time of day.

Your loss
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 22:46
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    I'm happy but you wont even give me the time of day.

Your loss
    Probalby because you didn’t come though with the subscription.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 22:48
    Buddha was 500 years b4 JC
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 22:51
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Probalby because you didn’t come though with the subscription.
    At least I know what a sub is Lmfao

But yeah Sonship got his star and I'm so joyous. When you know 100% how to live your own life , your life changes for the better
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 22:53
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    At least I know what a sub is Lmfao

But yeah Sonship got his star and I'm so joyous. When you know 100% how to live your own life , your life changes for the better
    Did you buy him the sub?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Mar '18 23:49
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Did you buy him the sub?
    Yes
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '18 00:09
    If you choose to refuse to debate the topic of a thread that you yourself started, that's up to you. It's a curious choice, but yours to make.
    I asked you several questions relevant to the subject of this thread which you chose to ignore, just as you’ve ignored dozens of questions from me and other posters in the past that expose your “Jesus was only a man” belief as a falsehood.

If you want me to continue addressing your questions, you have to begin addressing mine. That’s how a conversation works, amigo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree