1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 16:37
    The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

So, why did the Jews want to stone Jesus? I'm curious as to how the JWs butcher this verse.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 16:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

So, why did the Jews want to stone Jesus? I'm curious as to how the JWs butcher this verse.[/b]
    I started a thread on this a few years ago; it's an interesting point.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 16:56
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I started a thread on this a few years ago; it's an interesting point.
    Should be interesting. There's a lot of ground to cover.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 16:565 edits
    [b]The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

So, why did the Jews want to stone Jesus? I'm curious as to how the JWs butcher this verse.[/b]
    Because they erroneously believed that Jesus was claiming to be God Himself.

What's your point?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:15
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Because they erroneously believed that Jesus was claiming to be God.

What's your point?
    I guess the Christians around here aspire to be like the Jews [particularly the Pharisees] who were wrong on just about everything concerning Christ.

When God said 'this is my beloved Son..' they dont believe that.
    When the Jews said Christ is making himself God they want to believe the Jews.
    Hilarous.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:28
    Because they erroneously believed that Jesus was claiming to be God Himself.

What's your point?
    Go learn to read, then we can discuss it.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:28
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I guess the Christians around here aspire to be like the Jews [particularly the Pharisees] who were wrong on just about everything concerning Christ.

Hilarous.
    So who (and pertinently, what) do you say that he is?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:29

Hilarous.
    Apparently you can't read either!
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:31
    Apparently you can't read either!
    Why dont you explain what it is that I cant read.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So who (and pertinently, what) do you say that he is?
    Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
    God said it.
    Paul said it.
    Christ said God was the Father.

I leave it like that without interpreting further.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:35
    Go learn to read, then we can discuss it.
    I can read just fine.

Why don't you simply come to the point? Is that really too difficult for you?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:48
    Rev. 1:8

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."

A direct quote, right? Jesus Christ's own words, right?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:543 edits
    Rev. 1:8

[b]"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."

A direct quote, right? Jesus Christ's own words, right?[/b]
    Evidently josephw has given up on whatever point he was trying to make via John 10:33. Seems like we can all assume that he realized that he didn't have one and instead of being a man and admitting it, he's chosen to go off the thread topic and in a completely different direction.

For all the warnings the Bible has against pride, it seems that many Christians are as susceptible, if not more, to pride as anyone.

Business as usual on RHP.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:57
    Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
    God said it.
    Paul said it.
    Christ said God was the Father.

I leave it like that without interpreting further.
    Do you believe in the deity of Christ?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 18:091 edit
    Evidently josephw has given up on whatever point he was trying to make via John 10:33. Seems like we can all assume that he realized that he didn't have one and instead of being a man and admitting it, he's chosen to go off the thread topic and in a completely different direction.

Business as usual on RHP.
    No. You fail, as does Rajk999.

The Jews did NOT "erroneously believe that Jesus was claiming to be God Himself." They believed in what Jesus Himself said. And since they were not of his flock (as earlier in John 10), they sought to lay siege to him, to catch him saying something against their laws.

"I and my Father are one." -- John 10:30

Some would lessen the power of "I and my Father are one" by saying it only refers to a unity of purpose and will. But how could a statement like that be considered blasphemy by the Jews who heard Jesus say these words? The Jews of Jesus' day see clearly what the Jehovah's Witnesses and others seem to miss: that Jesus clearly claimed to be God ("... because that Thou, being a man, makest thyself God." ).

They wanted to stone Him for blasphemy, as they saw it. They did not take into consideration His works.

"Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
    If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
    But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him." -- John 10:36-38, KJV

They did not do this, because they were not of His flock.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree