1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 19:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, based on your logic then saying God is a single being can not be true either because there is no complexity at all in that description.
    Saying whatever about the nature of a transcedent G-d, in my opinion it simply doesn't hold😵
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 19:45
    Originally posted by josephw
    Ok. So here's my reply. But keep it in mind that I hold to the idea or concept that that which is known about God is revealed by God, and I can find no word in the scriptures that even remotely describes God as transcedental.

If one uses that term to mean that [b]if
    what can be known about God is known, then therefore God is not transcedental, then pe ...[text shortened]... le, and that would be a direct contradiction of the revelation of God, which is the Word of God.[/b]
    Edit: "But keep it in mind that I hold to the idea or concept that that which is known about God is revealed by God, and I can find no word in the scriptures that even remotely describes God as transcedental."

In fact, that which is "known" about G-d is not revealed by G-d, but from human beings which claim that G-d was somehow revealed to them by specific means and then they present their divine revelation in the form of a specific scripture. There is no way to evaluate if their claim is false or accurate, one has simply to take it or leave it. In this context, I cannot take it and so I dismiss the scripture as just another human invention amongst many;

Now, as regards the core of your opinion, if G-d was not indeed transcedental, this entity would be a known observer, ie a sum of known elements of reality. But it is not; all we have at our disposal, are man made scriptures which are promoted by specific religious personages as the so called "Word of G-d". Therefore methinks that when a person, any person, defines G-d, the sole thing it is doing is that it violates the principle that G-d is unknowable😵
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 22:352 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, not at all, because He knew, as do most Christians today, that Jesus IS God. So yes, the Son of God IS God.

Don't blame me if your mind is too little to wrap itself around that.

And "the reason that Jesus believed that the Jews accused Him of blasphemy" was considered in my post. Except, of course, the reason I quoted that passage was dif ...[text shortened]... od. Why can the unbelieving Jews get it right, but you cannot? THAT is josephw's entire point.
    You seem to keep missing my point, so I'll try to lay things out as simply as possible.

Look at the verse JW quoted in the OP:
    John 10
    33“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

In and of itself this verse only shows that the Jews believed that Jesus committed blasphemy by claiming to be God. The verse only shows what the Jews believed. It does not show that Jesus was God Himself. It does not show that Jesus claimed to be God. Once again, in and of itself the verse only shows what the Jews believed. If JW, DG, et al., believe otherwise they are clearly wrong.

Look at how Jesus took the accusation that He committed blasphemy by claiming to be God.
    John 10
    36 ...Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

Jesus plainly states that he took the accusation as referring to the fact that He said that He is the Son of God. Like I said, "Jesus seems to believe that it's because He said, 'I am the Son of God'". Either you believe Jesus' take on it or you don't.

I don't know if I can lay this out more simply for you. Hopefully you'll get it this time.

Keep in mind that while Jesus called Himself the Son of God, He also said that the peacemakers shall be called the sons of God

Matthew 5
    9“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Also keep in mind that while Jesus said, "I and the Father are one", Jesus also asked that His followers be made "one" with each other, Jesus and God.

John 17
    20“I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 22:59
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You seem to keep missing my point, so I'll try to lay things out as simply as possible.

John 10
    33“We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

In and of itself, this verse only shows that the Jews believed that Jesus committed blasph ...[text shortened]... n unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
    "In and of itself, this verse only shows that the Jews believed that Jesus committed blasphemy by claiming to be God."

NO! The verse shows that they knew perfectly well that Jesus WAS saying just that- "makest thyself God". If Jesus is God He certainly wouldn't merely be making the claim. You quote from a corrupt translation.

They didn't just believe it. They were going to stone Him for blasphemy, because He WAS making Himself God.

There's no equivocating on what the verse says. And there are many more.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '14 23:111 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"In and of itself, this verse only shows that the Jews believed that Jesus committed blasphemy by claiming to be God."

NO! The verse shows that they knew perfectly well that Jesus WAS saying just that- "makest thyself God". If Jesus is God He certainly wouldn't merely be making the claim. You quote from a corrupt translation.

They didn't just be ...[text shortened]... making Himself God.

There's no equivocating on what the verse says. And there are many more.[/b]
    C'mon JW.

The Pharisees believed the following:
    Matthew 12
    24But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons.”

Just because the Pharisees believed that Jesus cast out demons only by Beelzebul, doesn't show that it's true. In and of itself the verse only shows what the Pharisees believed.

Similarly with John 10:33 and the Jews.

Can you really not understand this?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 00:07
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Edit: "But keep it in mind that I hold to the idea or concept that that which is known about God is revealed by God, and I can find no word in the scriptures that even remotely describes God as transcedental."

In fact, that which is "known" about G-d is not revealed by G-d, but from human beings which claim that G-d was somehow revealed to them by sp ...[text shortened]... fines G-d, the sole thing it is doing is that it violates the principle that G-d is unknowable😵
    Just wondering why you spell "god" with a hyphen? And only most of the time but not always? Is the letter "o" somehow forbidden when prefixed by a "g" and suffixed by a "d"?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 08:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Just wondering why you spell "god" with a hyphen? And only most of the time but not always? Is the letter "o" somehow forbidden when prefixed by a "g" and suffixed by a "d"?
    He may not be sure what goes between the "g" and the "d" in all cases, so he leaves it to his readers to fill in the blank.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 08:511 edit
    C'mon JW.

Matthew 12
    24But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons.”

Just because the Pharisees believed that Jesus cast out demons only by Beelzebul, doesn't show that it's true. In and of itself the verse only shows what the Pharisees believed.

you are battling against a zombie apocalypse, try to reason as much as you like, all you will get is babble and drool!
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 09:29
    C'mon JW.

Matthew 12

If the Pharisees actually believed that Jesus was casting out the demons by the power of Beelzebul, then that would also explain why they attempted to stone Him for blasphemy, because He was making Himself out to be God.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 09:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If the Pharisees actually believed that Jesus was casting out the demons by the power of Beelzebul, then that would also explain why they attempted to stone Him for blasphemy, because He was making Himself out to be God.
    its just like a trinitarian to get their beliefs from the Pharisees, you and the Pharisees are one!
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 10:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its just like a trinitarian to get their beliefs from the Pharisees, you and the Pharisees are one!
    RC, are you...

1) Father
    2) Son
    3) Brother
    4) Uncle
    5) Cousin
    7) Grandpa
    8) Friend

It's not hard to be all those things and the same, do you see?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 10:37

John 10

In and of itself this verse only shows that the Jews believed that Jesus committed blasphe ...[text shortened]... n unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
    Sounds like a very level-headed and accurate understanding of what the Bible says. But their minds are blocked by their dogma.

Vistesd in another thread posted a reply to sonship that there are sufficient Biblical support for both sides of this argument. I would agree with that and I understand why they place Christ on the same level with God but I personally would not do that since there are clear verses which say God is greater than Chrsit, verses which they refuse to address.

In any case if they care to answer, I would like to know why are they approaching this topic with such passion. Seems to me that they believe that someone must believe that Christ is God in order to be a Christian.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 10:371 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    RC, are you...

1) Father
    2) Son
    3) Brother
    4) Uncle
    5) Cousin
    7) Grandpa
    8) Friend

I am an individual within a society, there are many other fathers, sons, uncles etc, am I the same person because i am also a father a son and an uncle, hardly, so enough of the pretence! R J Hinds and all trinitarins who espouse this interpretation have taken their beliefs from the Pharisees! the shame of it
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 10:43
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    RC, are you...

1) Father
    2) Son
    3) Brother
    4) Uncle
    5) Cousin
    7) Grandpa
    8) Friend

Robbie is all those things, Yes.
    What about Robbie's relationship with his actual father.
    Is he the same as his father?

This is what you people say Christ = God. But the Bible says otherwise.
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Feb '14 12:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don’t mention none of the names designated for G-d as it is understood by the first Abrahamic religion due to respect and reverence for that transcedental entity, whose existence can neither be proven nor negated😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree