1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 08:22
    @philokalia said
    Aw, but you see, when one says that you are writing or saying something that "does not have much or anything important or useful or pertinent to say" or assesses something as having "lengthy verbiage that is confused or unfocused," you are suggesting that they are doing a very poor job of writing or speaking.

And thus yuo are calling someone else's efforts a fail ...[text shortened]... us, it would be seen as insulting to ascribe these characteristics to someone's writing or speaking.
    Yes. If I say I think something is waffle, then I think it has not succeeded. At least to my way of thinking. So you find that "insulting"?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 08:311 edit
    @divegeester said
    Well I feel that, as far as Christianity is concerned, there is no such thing as a secret Christian.
    Here's an interesting clip:

YouTube

It's interesting how he just throws everything in there. Interesting to a point, but it's also omnidirectional pretentious waffle which does not sit well with his years of pseudy sneering at people who happen to be clearer about what they believe than he is.

Sure, maybe he's being honest about his lack of belief ~ good for him ~ but there's also this throbbing mains hum of dishonesty rooted in his arrogance when he wanders too far from his area of expertise.

When he finally figures himself out, no doubt he will declare whatever Peterson Truth he arrives at as objective and one that applies to everybody.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 08:59
    @philokalia said
    you are suggesting that they are doing a very poor job of writing or speaking.
    And thus yuo are calling someone else's efforts a failure. Thus, it would be seen as insulting to ascribe these characteristics to someone's writing or speaking.
    There are people who have been suggesting that I was doing a very poor job of writing ~ in all kinds of ways and using all kinds of vocabulary to tell me how poor the job I was doing was ~ and therefore my efforts to write and communicate were a failure [to their way of thinking] for over a decade.

I am sure they were doing it to each other before I arrived. Posters are doing this all the time. It's par for the course.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 11:12
    @fmf said
    Yes. If I say I think something is waffle, then I think it has not succeeded. At least to my way of thinking. So you find that "insulting"?
    Oh, so you think it is a neutral appraisal?

Generally speaking, if you say someone is wrong, you display this by attacking the argument.

If you are to say to a person that their delivery of the message was "waffling," or another word such as that, it is not even an attack on the argument being brought forward, but it is an attack on that person's ability to communicate their message.

Generally speaking, it is only appropriate to attack the argument, not the messenger.

Of course, there is an exception for famous people -- someone who has millions of dollars and is infinitely more successful tan any of us hardly has to worry about the weak criticisms that we bring up.

But when this is used against people who are right in the forum here posting, I can see how this would be upsetting to them.

But, I would always say that this is a forum on the internet, after all.

You should expect to be insulted. If you do not, you are a fool.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 11:30
    @philokalia said
    Oh, so you think it is a neutral appraisal?
    If I say it, then it's my honest opinion.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 11:33
    @philokalia said
    Generally speaking, if you say someone is wrong, you display this by attacking the argument.
    Yes I have been agreeing with arguments and disagreeing with arguments here, and criticizing posts and seeing my posts criticized, for many years. It's par for the course.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 11:36
    @philokalia said
    Of course, there is an exception for famous people -- someone who has millions of dollars and is infinitely more successful tan any of us hardly has to worry about the weak criticisms that we bring up.
    People with millions of dollars who don't post here on this forum don't have to worry about what we say. Yes. I agree. This assertion by you is borderline fatuous waffle.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 11:41
    @philokalia said
    But when this is used against people who are right in the forum here posting, I can see how this would be upsetting to them.
    Thanks for the advice. At least, non-Brits, reading this exchange, now know what is meant when British speakers of English use the word "waffle".
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 23:05
    @fmf said
    People with millions of dollars who don't post here on this forum don't have to worry about what we say. Yes. I agree. This assertion by you is borderline fatuous waffle.
    Lol, OK, FMF.

You know, I expect as much out of you.

God bless.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 02:17
    Colossians 2:8
    8 "Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;"

2 Timothy 4:3
    3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.

Jeremiah 10:23
    23 I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him.
    It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.

Psalm 146:3, 4
    3 Do not put your trust in princes
    Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.
    4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground;
    On that very day his thoughts perish.

7 billion plus humans on the planet with almost that many opinions. Jordan Peterson is welcome to his.
    The bible says that Satan is the god of this world at this time. It also says he is the god of confusion.
    The seeds of doubt about who God is. What a weapon for Satan to use and for humans to fall for....
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 02:23
    @galveston75 said
    7 billion plus humans on the planet with almost that many opinions. Jordan Peterson is welcome to his.
    The bible says that Satan is the god of this world at this time. It also says he is the god of confusion.
    The seeds of doubt about who God is. What a weapon for Satan to use and for humans to fall for....
    Jordon Peterson describes himself as "profoundly religious" and a staunch believer that society cannot function without religion, and the Christian religion specifically, having studied the Bible and the history of Christendom in great detail ~ although he agonizes publicly over his agnosticism regarding the physical resurrection of Jesus. You believe that Peterson is "a weapon for Satan to use"?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 02:37
    @fmf said
    Jordon Peterson agonizes publicly over his agnosticism regarding the physical resurrection of Jesus.
    galveston75,

As a matter of interest, in your view, if - at an earlier point in his life - he had believed in the physical resurrection of Jesus [there is a good chance that he did], would you have thought he was "a weapon for Satan to use" then?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 05:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 05:35
    @galveston75 said
    Colossians 2:8
    8 "Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;"

2 Timothy 4:3
    3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will sur ...[text shortened]...
    Instead...put your trust in the Watchtower’s failed prophecies.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Jun '19 09:32
    @fmf said
    Here's an interesting clip:

[youtube]RIB05YeMiW8[/youtube]

It's interesting how he just throws everything in there. Interesting to a point, but it's also omnidirectional pretentious waffle which does not sit well with his years of pseudy sneering at people who happen to be clearer about what they believe than he is.

Sure, maybe he's being honest about his lack of belief ...[text shortened]... e will declare whatever Peterson Truth he arrives at as objective and one that applies to everybody.
    Bear in mind that his job is Professor of Psychology. He spends his time lecturing, reading student's essays and marking them, writing his book and also, I think, devotes some time to counseling. Thinking about religion is a sideline for him, also he's interesting in the content from a psychologists point of view so will put different weight on parts of the bible.

I haven't watched the clip, I lack sound on this machine - I need to set up some speakers and that means making decisions about which bits of electronics actually need to be plugged in... However, I do find his delivery scatological at times. This is not quite the same as it not being thought out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree