1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 02:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    So you don't believe God should or would ever cast punitive judgement?
    I said the first statement was false not true.
    God the son will do the judging and He made
    it clear as to the punishment the wicked will
    receive.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 02:35
    Which statement do you identify with best?

1. A loving God would not cast a punitive judgement upon me or anyone else.

2. A loving God would not turn a blind eye to injustice suffered by me or others around me.
    1. is false, just give the OT a quick read.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 04:051 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    1. is false, just give the OT a quick read.
    But the OT is full of exhibitions of mercy from God.

For example, what about the prophet Jonah going to Nineveh and preaching to the people to turn from their wicked ways to avoid God's wrath? They repented and were shown mercy dispite their former wicked ways.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 08:12

For example, what about the prophet Jonah going to Nineveh and preaching to the people to turn from their wicked ways to avoid God's wrath? They repented and were shown mercy dispite their former wicked ways.
    But not all repent.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 09:29
    How is that relevant. It is a fact that the OT contains at least one example of God ' casting a punitive judgement', therefore 1. and the OT are in contradiction.

I think I will change my stance on 1. to: A just God would not cast the punitive judgement described by most religions as it appears to serve no purpose, but might nevertheless in certain circumstances cast punitive judgement where it does serve a purpose.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 09:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think I will change my stance on 1. to: A just God would not cast the punitive judgement described by most religions as it appears to serve no purpose, but might nevertheless in certain circumstances cast punitive judgement where it does serve a purpose.[/b]
    The Old and New Testament are no different in that regard. They both have examples of being punitive but they both have examples of being merciful. The Nwe Testament simply adds the twist of grace mixed in with the sacrifice on the cross.

As for suffering, I would think that a God of love would zero in on erradicating suffering wouldn't you? As a result, he must expunge all sources of suffering. Biblically, this means expunging any source of great wickedness, hence punitive action to be taken.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 10:28
    The Old and New Testament are no different in that regard. They both have examples of being punitive but they both have examples of being merciful. The Nwe Testament simply adds the twist of grace mixed in with the sacrifice on the cross.

As for suffering, I would think that a God of love would zero in on erradicating suffering wouldn't you? As a result ...[text shortened]... ically, this means expunging any source of great wickedness, hence punitive action to be taken.
    The God of love who 'eradicates suffering' by 'expunging any source of great wickedness' by committing acts of suffering?!

Never got my head round that one. For a God who is supposedly omnipotent and omniscient i would say your God does come across as rather rubbish.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 10:311 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The God of love who 'eradicates suffering' by 'expunging any source of great wickedness' by committing acts of suffering?!

Never got my head round that one. For a God who is supposedly omnipotent and omniscient i would say your God does come across as rather rubbish.
    It appears that he is not sentimental like humans but exercises love, justice, wisdom
    and power in balance, without sentiment.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 10:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It appears that he is not sentimental like humans but exercises love, justice, wisdom
    and power in balance, without sentiment.
    And brutality.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 10:44
    And brutality.
    we dont know all the facts dear Noobster, but yes, punishment was severe, the point
    however is that it was not arbitrary, warnings issued, chances were given again and
    again. One only need to look at how many prophets were sent and killed to realise
    that sometimes enough is enough and action must be taken. Thus God is consistent
    with the exercise of justice and tempering that justice with mercy.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 10:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    we dont know all the facts dear Noobster, but yes, punishment was severe, the point
    however is that it was not arbitrary, warnings issued, chances were given again and
    again. One only need to look at how many prophets were sent and killed to realise
    that sometimes enough is enough and action must be taken. Thus God is consistent
    with the exercise of justice and tempering that justice with mercy.
    Killing innocent women and children is not 'justice' by any stretch of the imagine, and certainly not from a God is supposedly omnipotent and omniscient.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 10:58
    And brutality.
    How else?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 11:301 edit
    Nevertheless, it contradicts 1. as 1. clearly states that not one incident of punitive action would be /has been cast.

As for suffering, I would think that a God of love would zero in on erradicating suffering wouldn't you? As a result, he must expunge all sources of suffering.
    Not if he is all powerful. If he is all powerful he would prevent suffering rather than take action after the fact.
    I am also not convinced that action after the fact can genuinely be called eradicating suffering. It may prevent further suffering, but one can never turn back time and undo past suffering.

Biblically, this means expunging any source of great wickedness, hence punitive action to be taken.
    Which makes no sense whatsoever. Punitive action does not expunge past suffering. This is a major problem with Biblical theology which tries to draw an analogy with human justice systems, but fails to recognise the purpose of human justice systems.
    I have brought this up many times on this forum and never got a satisfactory answer.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 11:44
    Killing innocent women and children is not 'justice' by any stretch of the imagine, and certainly not from a God is supposedly omnipotent and omniscient.
    Ok i am not going to try to justify divine acts of execution, on women. children or
    domestic animal. Were those people warned or were they not?
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 12:18
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    How else?
    You would have thought an omnipotent and omniscient 'God of love' could have come up with something a little better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree