1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 12:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ok i am not going to try to justify divine acts of execution, on women. children or
    domestic animal. Were those people warned or were they not?
    They may have been or they may not have been. Who knows?! But i can tell you one thing for certain, small children definitely won't have been aware of the 'warning'. Their execution is nothing but senseless barbarism.

This act of 'justice' is nothing but a form of collective punishment.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 12:331 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    They may have been or they may not have been. Who knows?! But i can tell you one thing for certain, small children definitely won't have been aware of the 'warning'. Their execution is nothing but senseless barbarism.

This act of 'justice' is nothing but a form of collective punishment.
    Yes it is a form of collective punishment, undoubtedly, there is also however community
    responsibility, in that the community is responsible for seeing that its members are
    kept free from harm. Take for example the case of the Midianites, the Israelites were
    ordered, not to attack them, they merely wanted to pass through their land
    unmolested, yet they hardened themselves against the Israelites and fomented war.
    Thus they brought the outcome upon themselves. In other instances if you know
    there is an army of several hundred thousand waiting outside your city which issue a
    warning, surrender and your lives will be spared and you ignore that warning and are
    overcome, whose fault is that?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 13:23
    In other instances if you know
    there is an army of several hundred thousand waiting outside your city which issue a
    warning, surrender and your lives will be spared and you ignore that warning and are
    Certainly not the fault of any children. There is a reason why the US keeps getting criticized for civilian casualties in its various campaigns, especially when those casualties are children.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 13:50
    Yes it is a form of collective punishment, undoubtedly, there is also however community
    responsibility, in that the community is responsible for seeing that its members are
    kept free from harm. Take for example the case of the Midianites, the Israelites were
    ordered, not to attack them, they merely wanted to pass through their land
    unmoleste ...[text shortened]... d your lives will be spared and you ignore that warning and are
    So the killing of innocent women and children in an act of collective punishment is really a lesson in 'community responsibility'? I see, how novel.

Would you say the situation in Gaza is a lesson in community responsibility? I mean what has happened there in the past was a form of collective punishment in which innocent women and children were killed.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 13:53
    So the killing of innocent women and children in an act of collective punishment is really a lesson in 'community responsibility'? I see, how novel.

Would you say the situation in Gaza is a lesson in community responsibility? I mean what has happened there in the past was a form of collective punishment in which innocent women and children were killed.
    no its not a lesson at all, its a fact of war, sadly. War is war dear Noobster and atrocity
    happens, frequently during it.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 16:07
    no its not a lesson at all, its a fact of war, sadly. War is war dear Noobster and atrocity
    happens, frequently during it.
    So when innocent women and children are killed during an act of collective punishment during war time, that's an atrocity. But when your God sanctioned an act of collective punishment killing women and children that's a lesson in 'community responsibility'?

Is that what you're saying?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 16:55
    So when innocent women and children are killed during an act of collective punishment during war time, that's an atrocity. But when your God sanctioned an act of collective punishment killing women and children that's a lesson in 'community responsibility'?

To him the act of war is evil in itself, even if it is sanctioned by God to
    fulfill His purpose.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 16:56

your splitting hairs, what does it matter whether its an act of divine retribution or a
    marauding army? war is war.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 19:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    To him the act of war is evil in itself, even if it is sanctioned by God to
    fulfill His purpose.
    A just and loving God, would never sanction war.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 19:49
    your splitting hairs, what does it matter whether its an act of divine retribution or a
    marauding army? war is war.
    It's hardly splitting hairs Rob. As twhitehead says above, human wars are perpetuated by fallible humans. Divine retribution is sanctioned by a supposedly caring, loving, omniscient and omnipotent God.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 20:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A just and loving God, would never sanction war.
    Since when do you know God?
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 21:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Since when do you know God?
    You don't have to know God. You merely have to know what terms like "loving" and "just" mean. You can adopt some non-standard, theistic reading of those terms, but then please let people know that when you say "God is loving", you actually mean "God is (g)loving", or whatever.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 21:43
    Originally posted by bbarr
    You don't have to know God. You merely have to know what terms like "loving" and "just" mean.
    I didn't know you supported atheistic viewpoints... 😲

-m. 😉
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 22:05
    Originally posted by mikelom
    [b]I didn't know you supported atheistic viewpoints... 😲

-m. 😉[/b]
    Priceless.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 22:20
    Originally posted by bbarr
    You don't have to know God. You merely have to know what terms like "loving" and "just" mean. You can adopt some non-standard, theistic reading of those terms, but then please let people know that when you say "God is loving", you actually mean "God is (g)loving", or whatever.
    But if you don't know God, how can you really know if He is not "loving"
    and "just".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree