JWs: more covering up of child sex abuse

JWs: more covering up of child sex abuse

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
All I know is that when I found out he was already in jail. I would be speculating if I told you my parents did or didn't know before he was in jail.
So you never discussed the moral dimensions and implications of all this with your parents? And you yourself have never given it any thought?

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

I am not privy to this information.
It was kept secret from you?

Moves
22 Sep 18

Originally posted by @fmf
If morality is, as you seem to think, not relative, what then is the single correct answer to the question "Is it wrong to cover up a rape?" I believe our perspectives on this - yours and mine - are subjective. You say yours is not subjective. So what is your perspective?
The fact that I believe in moral absolutes doesn’t mean some of my views aren’t subjective. The existence of moral absolutes is not dependent on my view. The fact that I believe moral absolutes exist doesn’t mean I’m always right about something. It simply means I believe in the existence of good and evil and that certain action remain evil regardless of what a majority ruling on the issue may be.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

When I found out he was already in jail for quite a few years. I have no idea exactly when my parents found out.
Do your parents, then, like me, think that morality is subjective?

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

The fact that I believe in moral absolutes doesn’t mean some of my views aren’t subjective.
So your views on the morality of warning women about the presence of a rapist in their community are subjective?

Moves
22 Sep 18

Do your parents, then, like me, think that morality is subjective?
How on earth did you make that leap?

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

The existence of moral absolutes is not dependent on my view. The fact that I believe moral absolutes exist doesn’t mean I’m always right about something. It simply means I believe in the existence of good and evil and that certain action remain evil regardless of what a majority ruling on the issue may be.
You are describing your moral subjectivity here. You have your views and perspectives and personal principles. So do I.

Moves
22 Sep 18
1 edit

You are describing your moral subjectivity here. You have your views and perspectives and personal principles. So do I.
Sure I might have my own subjective take on things but the fact that I could be wrong implies that moral absolutes do exist. If they didn’t I would always be right regardless and so would everyone that had a contradictory view to mine.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

How on earth did you make that leap?
Your parents kept what they did and when they did it secret from you. Did they not share some sort of "objective morality" lesson wuth you?

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

Sure I might have my own subjective take on things but the fact that I could be wrong implies that moral absolutes do exist. If they didn’t I would always be right regardless.
This is moral subjectivity you are describing.

Moves
22 Sep 18
1 edit

How can anyone ultimately be wrong about anything if there are no moral absolutes ?

Moves
22 Sep 18

Is it absolutely true that there are no absolute moral truths?

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

How can anyone ultimately be wrong about anything if there are no moral absolutes ?
Our subjective moral compasses guide us to do the beat we can. Yours. Mine. Everybody's.

Moves
22 Sep 18

Our subjective moral compasses guide us to do the beat we can. Yours. Mine. Everybody's.
That’s not what I asked you you are dodging the question.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

Is it absolutely true that there are no absolute moral truths?
You've tried these kinds of manchild gimmicks on me before. I'm more interested in how your personal notion of "absolute truths" resulted in you favouring covering up rape [see pages 2, 3 etc.] rather than agreeing with my moral stance.